+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4108602;
    Last night on TMZ they had Mark comment on the Bristol situation and his response was – “if you didn’t vote, you can’t complain” – seems to be the company line this season. And by the way – a lot of us did vote, and I betcha the most of the complaints are coming from those of us who do vote.
    Not to mention Tom saying (what I've heard a lot of people say) "I'm as much of a Democrat and liberal as they come, but even I like Bristol". I feel for Mark to a point, until he opens his mouth. I've never thought he took criticism well. I have to admit, seeing him beat his BFF and Jennifer would be somewhat amusing-just to see the reaction. I'd be curious if the audience would defy applauding and begin booing loudly if Bristol actually won.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4108682;
    .....I'd be curious if the audience would defy applauding and begin booing loudly if Bristol actually won.
    When Bristol beat out Brandi the other night, I think I heard quite a few boos in the crowd. Along with the shock + mumbling in the crowd, it seems the boos were there as well.

I agree that if Bristol ends up winning again and her dancing skills appear to be obviously not nearly as good as the others, I have to bet some money that the boos will get louder next time. The crowd is trying to be respectful, but when things get too obvious, they will not be as reserved the next time.

Nigel Lythgoe is a very brave (or foolhardy) man...

On Thursday's (Nov. 18) episode of "The View," "American Idol" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe stopped by to talk about all things "Idol" and show a clip of an audition in Milwaukee.

The first topic discussed is Sarah Palin's new book, "America by Heart," in which she slams "American Idol" contestants, saying they are "talent-deprived and that no one they have encountered in their lives, from their parents to their teachers to the President, wanted them to feel bad by hearing the truth, so they grew up convinced they could become big pop stars like Michael Jackson."

Nigel's response: "I don't know why she's referenced the president. I think he's probably got a bit more on his hands to worry about than 'American Idol' contestants. And I guess she wrote that before her own daughter showed her somewhat lack of talent as a dancer on 'Dancing With the Stars.'"

'The View': Nigel Lythgoe jabs at Sarah Palin, brings Milwaukee audition clip - Pop2it - Zap2it
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;4108909;
    Nigel Lythgoe is a very brave (or foolhardy) man...
    Yeah, you don't want to mess with the Mama Grizzly!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4106966;
    This is based on an unnamed source but considering Sarah Palin showed up on DWTS for the fourth or fifth time last night, it's totally plausible. What a crackpot mother who should be in her daughter's cheering section to attend college not uphold the family motto of hollow achievement through ignorance and poor performance. The Palin family mocks meritocracy in ways I never could have imagined in my worst nightmare.

Read more: Sarah Palin Has Her Eyes On Bristol's Prize
    Can't win for loosing. If Sarah didn't go she would be criticized for not supporting her daughter. Kyle, Jennifer and Brandy all had family there too. I vote for Bristol/Mark because I like them, I think she is the most improved, though Kyle good improvement too. I think the judges have underscored them the past couple of weeks. Her paso should have scored 10's and the waltz should have been straight 9's. Brandy's paso was weak and mistake ridden and lacked the attack it is supposed to have. Her Argentine Tango that got 10's lacked intensity. I felt like Brandy was flat and I said on Jokers on Mon Night that I thought Bristol was robbed in the scores. Apparently I am not alone in this thought because we voted her into the final and Brandy out.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Insiders: If Bristol Palin Wins, 'Dancing' Is Ruined

At first, having Bristol Palin participate in 'Dancing With The Stars' seemed like a brilliant idea. Just like Kate Gosselin before her, casting an admittedly bad dancer who was shrouded in controversy has raked in big ratings and tons of press. But now the joke is on the show's producers, as they fear Bristol is actually going to win this thing.

"This will be a disaster for the show if Bristol wins," one TV insider tells me. "Any creditability the show had will be over. It will go from being a dancing competition to a popularity competition where whoever has the most rabid fan base will always win no matter how little talent they have."

And while it's true Bristol's dancing has dramatically improved since the season began, no one with working eyes would put her in the same league as the other remaining stars, Jennifer Grey and Kyle Massey.

"Another problem the producers foresee is that after Bristol wins no one in Hollywood will ever want to be on the show again," a well-placed ABC source tells me. "Why would a real star want to compete and lose against someone like [former U.S. Senate candidate] Christine O'Donnell or Levi Johnston. It's humiliating. The producers know they are in big trouble for sure."

And it's not just future contestants and viewers that the show needs to worry about. A friend of one of the judges tells me Bristol has made a fool out of all of them. It's now painfully obvious that the judge's scores and opinions mean nothing.

Let's hope they are all wrong and next season the show gets back to what it does best, dancing.

Insiders: If Bristol Palin Wins, 'Dancing' Is Ruined | PopEater.com

FORT Fogey

Then, Bristol and her younger sister Willow spewed a homophobic slur online to attack a schoolmate who was making fun of their family.

On her Facebook page, Bristol addressed both issues.

Of their derogatory statements, she said: "Willow and I shouldn't have reacted to negative comments about our family. We apologize."
    No, Bristol. You are free to respond to negative remarks about your family if you feel the need. Homophobic remarks, no! Defending your family is not the issue here. ARRRRGGG! I am seething that this child, who I have been defending, made this passive aggressive "apology." She knows damn well what the issue is.

--------------------------

Thanks Nikkij. Yep. At this point I would like to see her win because the impact will be larger than coming in second. But I bet we don't, no matter what the votes may be. They will make a final and desperate attempt to save it by fixing the winner. We will never know. Enough damage has been done to keep future contestants a bay anyway.
    Last edited by shoepie; 11-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.

And it's not just future contestants and viewers that the show needs to worry about. A friend of one of the judges tells me Bristol has made a fool out of all of them. It's now painfully obvious that the judge's scores and opinions mean nothing.
    I disagree with this part of the article posted above.
    Had the judges actually critiqued her honestly and marked her fairly they might have cause to feel that the voting had made fools of them. They did that all by themselves when week after week they praised her undeservedly and scored her too generously.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I disagree with the article on several points:

1) it's all a matter of opinion, but I'd hardly say Bristol has "dramatically" improved

2) I don't know if they'll have trouble getting actual has been C-listers, but I'm sure reality show wannabe C-listers will be flocking, especially if they can out-bad dance Bristol and Kate combined

3) It's always been a popularity contest, though I think people in the end do take consideration with dance ability (depending whether you vote for the ringer or not is another story)

4) It's already a joke gone too far

5) Hopefully the producers realize that their credibility's already shot, and keep this in mind when they cast for next season. I think they can find just as big gets without all the controversial baggage

Lastly, I don't think the producers will let Bristol win. But I agree with fluff that the judges and show did it to themselves by not scoring Bristol accordingly from the start. She's been overscored and overpraised since week 1.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4109029;
    I disagree with the article on several points:

1) it's all a matter of opinion, but I'd hardly say Bristol has "dramatically" improved

2) I don't know if they'll have trouble getting actual has been C-listers, but I'm sure reality show wannabe C-listers will be flocking, especially if they can out-bad dance Bristol and Kate combined

3) It's always been a popularity contest, though I think people in the end do take consideration with dance ability (depending whether you vote for the ringer or not is another story)

4) It's already a joke gone too far

5) Hopefully the producers realize that their credibility's already shot, and keep this in mind when they cast for next season. I think they can find just as big gets without all the controversial baggage

Lastly, I don't think the producers will let Bristol win. But I agree with fluff that the judges and show did it to themselves by not scoring Bristol accordingly from the start. She's been overscored and overpraised since week 1.
    First, I won't believe the announced results unless they are verified by a certified independent accounting firm similar to other reality shows regardless of who they announce.

Second, the producers have done this to themselves by seeing just how far they can go each season in stretching belief. If this experience with casting Bristol comes back to kick them in the fanny, the producers have no one but themselves to blame as they hired her with exactly the idea of controversy in mind.

I don't blame the judges. If there is blame, then the blame needs to start with the producers who intentionally hired her on an election year for the purpose of stirring up controversy.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread