+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4106114;
    In regard to the Hollywood Reporter article that Britlit posted, while realizing that this is somewhat subjective, and if you were to take all politics out of the equation - pro or con "Palin" - I think it would be a stretch to say that Bristol Palin is one of the worst dancers they've ever had on the show and should have been booted 1st or 2nd.
    There have been some doozies on the show in seasons past and she is certainly not as bad a dancer as they were. Should she be here in the Final four? Certainly not on dance ability! I just think people need not get carried away with just how bad she is. Aside from the hideous gorilla suit jive for which she was scored unjustly high, she's done some respectable - though not fabulous - dances.
    Anyone who thinks she's one of the worst ever never saw Kate Gosselin.
    I'll give Bristol that she's not the worst dancer the show has ever had. Kate will always hold that title, and I don't like to think of someone taking it from her. She was worse than Master P, and that's saying something. I think Bristol is potentially caught up in her own hype and, maybe, beleiving she's getting through because of her dancing, people believing she's an underdog, and that she's the most improved, all thanks to the judges saying that. I believe she's none of the above, and while she may have her own fans voting for her, I do think she's getting by largely thanks to being a Palin and nothing else. I don't believe there's any conspiracy to vote her through by Tea Party groups to damage the show, but mass campaigning for someone isn't new. People always viewers to vote for their friends/loved ones, whether it be the pro or celeb. I think sometimes a pro's fanbase helps the celeb get through. I don't think she should still be there, but I blame it mostly on the show/judges giving her the feedback and scores she's been getting. It's pure crap, especially when better dancers got picked apart for the smallest flaws. I don't believe Audrina and Kurt didn't have a chance to make the finals based on their dancing, they didn't have the shows support and, obviously, a much smaller fanbase than Bristols.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4106174;
    I'm still not clear on how it's "fixed" when it's the audience, not the judges, who make the decision.
    I don't buy all the fixing conspiracy theories. It just wouldn't be in the shows best interest for Kate Gosselins and Bristol Palins of the world to win (or get too close to winning anyway). The show's credibility would be done for. And, what a boring F3 it would be - assuming one watches the show mostly for the dancing. Plus, I think the judges critques are fair. Bristal and Kyle did great jobs tonight. Closer to the end, high energy, etc. can kick one into gear a bit more.

I didn't watch the first few episodes, but from what I have seen, I don't see the show setting things up for a Brandy vs. Jennifer win at all.

Coming in about midway with a little objectivity in that regard, it's clear to me that Jennifer IS the best dancer - and not by inches. She is leaps and bounds above the rest and she will win, unless the public does something crazy.

I'm not sold on Brandy as F2 either. It would not surprise me if she left tomorrow. She may be a better dancer than Kyle and Brandy, but she's not as endearing as they are. For me, the only thing clear thus far is that Jennifer is the best dancer and should win. F2, F3, and F4 are anyone's game.

I would like to see Kyle in F3. His partner said it best...think of Kyle's freestyle. I would sooo much rather see him dance again over Bristol - or even Brandy for that matter. He's entertaining to watch, and I love his spirit.

I would like to see Brandy in the F3 too. She is the 2nd best dancer on the show and deserves it. Plus, she has taken some major knocks in life and I think she could use the self-esteem boost it would bring her.

I would like to see Jennifer win. I'm blown away by her each week. She is gorgeous, and is in amazing shape for a woman her age. I would LOVE to see an older woman take this thing - even if the woman is a bit cantankerous from time to time. If anyone can do it, it's her.
    Last edited by Jexter; 11-16-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4106174;
    I'm still not clear on how it's "fixed" when it's the audience, not the judges, who make the decision.
    The judges vote does count for 50%, but Bristol lasting this long (oddly enough) has restored my faith somewhat that the show isn't rigged. Plays favorites and manipulates the scores, that I believe. They don't treat all clunkers equally, nor do they treat all the better dancers equal.

Maybe I've watched this show one too many seasons, but for me, it's the same old pattern. I think Brandy, Kyle, and Jennifer technically deserve to be the final 3, though if Jennifer left tomorrow I really wouldn't care.

In regards to Lacey's freestyle comment, she blew it once with Lance, who was a better dancer. I have confidence she'd probably do better by Kyle. He at least seems to be more high energy. However, as a whole, I'm over the freestyle round. The show makes it out to be a much bigger deal than I think it is, and I've gotten bored by the terrible hip hop or fast paced routines in the last few seasons.

veg out: Furthermore, I think it just adds another layer of problems to an already imperfect competition. Would they only have one same-sex couple? Is that fair when they're asked to do the AT? I think that DWTS needs to fix the existing problems before it adds another component that, while completely worthwhile, might create more injustice and be used only to serve ABC's purposes.
    There is no way ABC will be fair about anything. I think they are on a downhill course. In my humble opinion, fairness is what viewers want to see most and that problem is something all talent shows lack. Doesn't matter what additional component they add. If the show is fair with all contestants it wouldn't matter to the viewer who dances.

norealityhere: I'm still not clear on how it's "fixed" when it's the audience, not the judges, who make the decision.
    Well, one way to show the show is on the up and up, show how many votes each person gets. Why would that take so much effort...show us proof and I'll buy it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;4106656;
    Well, one way to show the show is on the up and up, show how many votes each person gets. Why would that take so much effort...show us proof and I'll buy it!!!!!
    Amen, sister!

It's good that we disagree on the production of the show; makes for more interesting discussion/board

FORT Newbie

Why is it so hard to believe people voted for Bristol because they LIKE her dancing?

FORT Fanatic

Just a thought..

..could you imagine Brandy or Jennifer even Kyle.....joining a soccer team, on a basketball court or volleyball game, which it seems Bristol has some experience in that arena....

...and at the end of 8 weeks actually kick it in the net, get baskets, or knock the socks off the other team in volleyball.....not as good as a professional but surprising all who watched knowing they came from a show business background.....

that would show these people were not afraid, determined and with never having set foot on a playing field didn't let that stop them...something like Bristol now on a dance floor never being even close to that atmosphere...

.....and most people would applaud, and support them for just that reason......

Just to clarify my thoughts on voting. I've had questions/issues with it since last season when Bristol was not a member of the cast. In general, I tend to question the truth behind whatever I'm watching since editing/production always plays a part in TV shows, whether they're reality shows or scripted (and it is a fact that reality shows do have script-writers/story arcs). At this point in the season, Bristol's continuation does not surprise me, whether it's attributed solely to her own fanbase of people who like her dancing or partially her mom's politics. Truth be told, last night, I was proud of her (I wrote as much in the other thread). Also, GMA did a segment on Bristol this AM, and a PR firm stated that Dancing with the Stars is more popular among Republican households than Democratic ones, statistically-speaking. If such is true, then there is a chance that those who like her dancing are also largely Republican, just as there is a chance that those who like her dancing are Democrats. It cannot be overlooked that some of the people voting for Bristol are solely voting for her at her mom's urging, but it also cannot be overlooked now that some people are voting for her because they are really impressed by her dancing, her spirit, and fill in the blank ___________. Sadly, when someone is on the show who is part of a controversial background, particularly a political one, people will discuss their legitimacy. If any of the Obama girls did the show, it could be the same thing.

In the end, the show is a popularity contest by many measures. I don't think that Sarah asking people to vote for Bristol is any different than Rick Fox asking his NBA teammates for votes.

I will always contend that I think the show is carefully managed to follow a certain trajectory; that it is actually most unadulterated in week 1 and 2 when the producers are learning who the public most appreciates, and then from there, things become a bit more tailored Otherwise, why do we never see the vote counts?

If Bristol makes it to the finals, I'm sure that she's there cuz she's a favorite. Whether that's b/c of America or the show's agenda or a confluence of both is anyone's guess

Quote Originally Posted by LovesSnowCO;4106712;
    Why is it so hard to believe people voted for Bristol because they LIKE her dancing?
    Because she's a poor dancer with minimal personality (and absolutely no personality in her dancing) and she should have left weeks ago.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread