+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4105664;
    Surprisingly, I wouldn't be thrilled to see a same-sex couple on the show. My thinking is, if the pro ballroom circuit allows it, then great. (I'm not clear on the rules so I don't know if they do or not). But if the pro circuit doesn't have same-sex competitions, then the show shouldn't either. I don't think the show (or network TV for that matter) has the maturity to handle it in a way that would present it in a positive light. If it's not going to help any causes, and instead is going to serve merely as the next stunt to create buzz, then they shouldn't do it. It's too big a leap for the show to take, and it would do more harm than good.
    I agree with most of the comments made on this topic. Perhaps, if enough members of the gay community want to see same-sex couples in ballroom, then perhaps, they'll mobilize from within for this change. Other styles of dance, as someone mentioned, do incorporate same-sex pairings, but again, it's usually in the more open styles of modern/contemporary. Even there, sometimes the pairings are a comment on homoeroticism rather than seen as the norm. Unfortunate, but true. As with this case. Traditional ballet and partnering still pairs male to female to again create that contrast; the word "traditional" isn't meant as a slam.

As much as I wish America was more progressive, it's not. As much as I wish DWTS would not exploit sexuality, it will. Just look at Margaret and Louie's samba: the message was originally about Margaret's struggle with weight and self-acceptance, but by performance night, it was about gay teens' suicides. They will morph it to their whims which greatly concerns me, particularly for the gay community. If ABC was committed to altering the harsh stereotypes that exist, I'd say "go for it," but they won't. They'll sensationalize that two women or two men are dancing the rumba, and it'll do more harm than good, unless it is carefully managed by someone in the community.

Furthermore, I think it just adds another layer of problems to an already imperfect competition. Would they only have one same-sex couple? Is that fair when they're asked to do the AT? I think that DWTS needs to fix the existing problems before it adds another component that, while completely worthwhile, might create more injustice and be used only to serve ABC's purposes.

Why Bristol Palin Is Still on 'Dancing With the Stars'
    8:59 AM 11/11/2010 by Marisa Guthrie

She doesn't get the highest scores. She's not the biggest celebrity. Yet she's in the top four on the hit ABC show.

Do politics play a role in Bristol Palin’s endurance on this season of Dancing with the Stars? You betcha.

Palin, the daughter of former Alaska governor and media sensation Sarah Palin, has survived on the ABC competition show despite some of the lowest marks from the judges.

The abstinence advocate – who was seen in a Tea Party t-shirt during one rehearsal – didn’t improve with this week’s dismal “insta samba.” But it was erstwhile NFL quarterback Kurt Warner who got the hook. [RELATED : Who will compete on 'Skating With the Stars?"]

Contestants advance to the next round based on the judges scores as well as viewer votes. And Palin’s supporters have used social media to get out that vote.

Conservative radio host Tammy Bruce has led a Twitter campaign to get fans to vote for “Team Ballin” as Palin and her partner Mark Ballas are known. On Monday, Bruce tweeted: “Operation Bristol waltzes in tonight! As #DWTS starts vote at abc.go.com Tweeps pls tweet phone info, will RT.” Bruce only has a little over 14,000 followers, but the ripple effect on Twitter is well-established.

There are also multiple Palin fan sites including bristolpalin.org and her own Facebook page that urges users to “vote for Bristol the pistol.”

On Wednesday, the Yahoo Twitter page said Palin had “received 10X more searches on Yahoo! Than Jennifer Grey this week." Grey has consistently scored higher than Palin.

And Dancing with the Stars indexes in TV’s top-ten among Republicans, according to data from Experian Simmons that appears in the new issue of The Hollywood Reporter. It comes in at No. 9 on the list top shows among Republicans. And while Dancing indexes high with Democrats as well, it still does not crack the top 15 favorite shows among Democratic viewers. [RELATED: How Dancing With the Stars almost never aired.]

Palin told USA Today that “it’s crazy” how fare she’s advanced on the show. Dancing with the Stars executive producer Conrad Green admitted to Bloomberg that Sarah Palin’s popularity could certainly be helping to fuel her daughter’s success. “There’s a strong popular movement behind Sarah Palin at the moment,” said Green. “It’s entirely possible some of those people are behind Bristol for political reasons.”

Added Chan Lowe of the Orlando Sentinel: "She has to be among one of the worst dancers they have had. I mean, she tries, yes, but Ginger Rogers she ain't. In previous seasons she would have been the first or second person eliminated, with good reason. She can't dance. And now she is in the final four of one of the most popular shows going? There is one reason, and one reason only: The tea party."
    Why Bristol Palin Is Still on 'Dancing With the Stars' - The Hollywood Reporter
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

A poll from Hollywood gossip
    Who are you pulling for on DWTS now?
    Brandy 18%
    Bristol Palin 22%
    Kyle Massey 8%
    Jennifer Grey 49%
    Total Votes: 10051
    "People throw rocks at things that shine and life makes love look hard but my choice is you" -Bremily

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Jennifer's going to win, and this season is so over with for me I wish they'd just hold the finale tonight. And I do think there's a really good chance Bristol will be in the finals. I'm sure TPTB are looking forward to the ratings she'll bring in. Will she win? No, I doubt it. I think Jennifer's win will be a "surprise" even though to me it isn't, and I think this is why the producers would consider the same sex pairing next season. It'll create just as much controversy, watercooler talk, and ratings next season, and cause people to tune in and out just like they did with Bristol.

Curiousity has me wondering what her freestyle will look like, though.

Hi Kara, thanks for posting, I had just read that on Yahoo. They make mention of Brandy "not posting anything" nada, about DWTS on her webpage which I think is a mistake. She should do that so that it looks more current and updated. One has to promote oneself in love and war. So, it would make her look more interested if she trolled for some votes. I seriously doubt there is anything going on with Bristol and Mark, that rumor is about him every season he is with a single woman. I think it helps the show to have a showmance to speculate about and they know it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4106055;
    Hi Kara, thanks for posting, I had just read that on Yahoo. They make mention of Brandy "not posting anything" nada, about DWTS on her webpage which I think is a mistake. She should do that so that it looks more current and updated. One has to promote oneself in love and war. So, it would make her look more interested if she trolled for some votes. I seriously doubt there is anything going on with Bristol and Mark, that rumor is about him every season he is with a single woman. I think it helps the show to have a showmance to speculate about and they know it, lol.
    In the past two weeks, Brandy has blown up her Twitter with DWTS tweets, her voting number, etc. Her background is of her and Maks. I think that's where most of her fans find her since it's the closest to a "direct line" as anything.

I agree, though, that Jennifer is the likely winner with Kyle being the sneak-win, but Brandy, if she even makes the finale, will be 2nd. I'll be shocked if Bristol isn't in the finals, so tomorrow is between Brandy and Kyle. It's been fun while it lasted, the fakery that made it seem like it was anyone's game....

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

In regard to the Hollywood Reporter article that Britlit posted, while realizing that this is somewhat subjective, and if you were to take all politics out of the equation - pro or con "Palin" - I think it would be a stretch to say that Bristol Palin is one of the worst dancers they've ever had on the show and should have been booted 1st or 2nd.
    There have been some doozies on the show in seasons past and she is certainly not as bad a dancer as they were. Should she be here in the Final four? Certainly not on dance ability! I just think people need not get carried away with just how bad she is. Aside from the hideous gorilla suit jive for which she was scored unjustly high, she's done some respectable - though not fabulous - dances.
    Anyone who thinks she's one of the worst ever never saw Kate Gosselin.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4106060;
    In the past two weeks, Brandy has blown up her Twitter with DWTS tweets, her voting number, etc. Her background is of her and Maks. I think that's where most of her fans find her since it's the closest to a "direct line" as anything.

I agree, though, that Jennifer is the likely winner with Kyle being the sneak-win, but Brandy, if she even makes the finale, will be 2nd. I'll be shocked if Bristol isn't in the finals, so tomorrow is between Brandy and Kyle. It's been fun while it lasted, the fakery that made it seem like it was anyone's game....
    Y'all may be right. Our one indicator has shown that Mr. Personality, Kyle, really doesn't have a very strong fan base, but I keep thinking back to the Gilles/Melissa/Shawn season. Every board - not just this one - that I visited was fighting over the two controversial adults....and they were controversial. Gilles to be truthful was a sexy dancer - like he was a sexy man. He did nowhere near the complex moves that Melissa or Shawn did, but what he did do, he looked fabulous doing. As well, he had the notoriety of having been stark naked in a movie in which any of us and all of us saw all of him on a shower clip on another sister board.
    Melissa was a former Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and a calendar girl (not nude but sexy enough). She had polished cheerleading dance moves coming in plus 2 years childhood ballet which helped her out although she had no ballroom experience.

The upshot? While we were fighting over the two controversial adults, the "kid" - 17 year old, honestly and truthfully pretty naive Shawn slipped in and won the whole thing.
    Granted, Shawn was known. 200 million people had watched the Olympics, and people considered her cute and darling, but she did not do the sexy Latin dances the way that the adult dancers do them. She did enough to get by, and we were told up front that was the way that it would be, so we wondered if what she did would be enough for her to win ( at least with the judges).

Long and short....Shawn beat out the two biggies.

Can history repeat? Can Kyle slip in and beat out the top 2 to take the trophy?
    Kyle is not controversial whereas Bristol, Jennifer, and evidently Brandy seemingly are.

I guess we will see how the judges view things tonight. Based on past seasons' experience, we should be able to tell how they are thinking.

Good points, Bloomers.

Not sure if this info means anything, but if you watch the promo for tonight, they make some interesting "suggestions" to the viewer. When The Booming Voice of Doom first asks the question, "Who will make the final...?" the very first pictures that appear are, from left to right, Kyle, Jennifer, and Brandy, and then quickly, the slot machine changes the pictures to include everyone. The next part of the sentence is "...and who will have their last chance to dance?" or something like that with the "last chance" words overlaid on an image of Bristol.

I'll give the producers this much: you don't truly know what's up their sleeves though they know exactly where things are going. Everyone now, at least that I've read, expects Bristol to be in the finals. So, no one would be overwhelmingly shocked if she did make it. Now, is there more shock if she gets cut? If the show thinks that Kyle, Brandy, and Jennifer have enough of a fanbase to make the finale exciting, then perhaps, Bristol is expendable here. That's entirely wishful thinking on my part. As you wrote, it'll be rather obvious exactly what the show wants when the judges start talking and scoring tonight.

On a side note, last time Maks made it to the finals two years in a row, he took 3rd with Lalia and then 2nd with MelB. If things go the way they're looking to go, he'll have made it to the finals two years in a row, he'll have taken 3rd with EA last season and then (I imagine) 2nd with Brandy, and it'll be his second time losing twice in a row to a Hough. As it looks right now, Maks will probably sit out next season, or he'll get stuck with a clunker. Sigh.

Here's to hoping that it's not as fixed as I really think it is

I'm still not clear on how it's "fixed" when it's the audience, not the judges, who make the decision.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread