+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4105262;
    Sure we did - remember Fake Jake? LOL!
    Given the track record TB/ette has with straight couples actually walking down the aisle after the show, maybe a change of pace wouldn't be such a bad thing ABC will go for what the general audience wants. If they felt it would be a risky move that would wind up backfiring in the long run, I don't think they'll go for it. But, they'll need something to top Kate, Bristol, and the other noteworthy contestants they've had in the last two seasons.

Side note, but I do wonder why Pam and Damian are making the rounds to different DWTS. The Australian version made sense, I guess, but interesting they'd show up on Israel's version. I say bring Pam back to replace Brooke. And I really hope Damian is back as a pro next season. I've loved him in the pro numbers this season. A change on the female side of things wouldn't hurt, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jelle;4105236;
    IMO they should have a make and a female dance together - really their sexuality doesn't matter. Why would you have two men or two women dance together?
    Ratings, PR, hoped for "shock value," would be my guess. Pure money grab is all it is.

I think what the Israeli version of the show is doing is ludicrous, and I'd feel the same way if they tried this on our version of DWTS. I can put up with obnoxious stars, ringers, and judges' bias all to a point. But such a blatant PR stunt like this, I would not put up with. I wouldn't watch it. Do two people of the same sex dancing together means they're gay? Of course not. But I would bet that's what they hope people think. And here anyway, the first suggestions we've heard of it were with Lance (a gay man) and now Portia (a lesbian woman). I would guess that would be the way they would approach it because it ups the buzz factor. And to me anyway, in that situation, pairing up same sex couples has nothing to do with equality or reducing biases or anything noble at all, IMO. It's all about $$$ and ratings. It's insulting. Taking a cause as serious as that and milking it for $, ratings, and PR would be a new kind of low for ABC. Maybe someone in charge would think it was sincere, but I would be hard pressed to believe that. Then again, I am a cynic.

As far as I know, same sex couples are not allowed in ballroom competition. Ballet and other forms of dance may be different, but ballroom is male-female. Without even thinking about the physical side of things (i.e. lifts, as others mentioned), and looking beyond the stunt factor: While this show has changed over the years and become less and less like an actual ballroom competition, I would like to see them at least maintain some vague appearance of a real competition. I don't care one whit who pros or celebs are paired with romantically in real life. A celeb's personal life is none of my business (except when they're on the Bach or the B'ette ). But a man and a woman dance together in ballroom, regardless of their own orientation in daily life. Trying to make it otherwise reeks of a gimmick for PR, IMO.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 11-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;4105275;
    Ratings, PR, hoped for "shock value," would be my guess. Pure money grab is all it is.

I think what the Israeli version of the show is doing is ludicrous, and I'd feel the same way if they tried this on our version of DWTS. I can put up with obnoxious stars, ringers, and judges' bias all to a point. But such a blatant PR stunt like this, I would not put up with. I wouldn't watch it. Do two people of the same sex dancing together means they're gay? Of course not. But I would bet that's what they hope people think. And here anyway, the first suggestions we've heard of it were with Lance (a gay man) and now Portia (a lesbian woman). I would guess that would be the way they would approach it because it ups the buzz factor. And to me anyway, in that situation, pairing up same sex couples has nothing to do with equality or reducing biases or anything noble at all, IMO. It's all about $$$ and ratings. It's insulting. Taking a cause as serious as that and milking it for $, ratings, and PR would be a new kind of low for ABC. Maybe someone in charge would think it was sincere, but I would be hard pressed to believe that. Then again, I am a cynic.

As far as I know, same sex couples are not allowed in ballroom competition. Ballet and other forms of dance may be different, but ballroom is male-female. Without even thinking about the physical side of things (i.e. lifts, as others mentioned), and looking beyond the stunt factor: While this show has changed over the years and become less and less like an actual ballroom competition, I would like to see them at least maintain some vague appearance of a real competition. I don't care one whit who pros or celebs are paired with romantically in real life. A celeb's personal life is none of my business (except when they're on the Bach or the B'ette ). But a man and a woman dance together in ballroom, regardless of their own orientation in daily life. Trying to make it otherwise reeks of a gimmick for PR, IMO.
    Why? Who says? Is there a ballroom god who makes these pronouncements? Maybe it's time we examined some of our own prejudices.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4105279;
    Why? Who says? Is there a ballroom god who makes these pronouncements? Maybe it's time we examined some of our own prejudices.
    Whoever sets the rules for ballroom competitions (who that might be, I admittedly have no clue), because that is the rule in most cases. I did some research earlier, and what I read said that it's only allowed at low levels of competition, and even that is rare. It is against the rules in the rest. Opposite sex couples are what this style of dancing was formed around, hence the lifts and such. Much like Pairs Skating, in a way. If ballroom competition that the show was based on changes, and same sex couples are allowed all the time and not just rarely, that's fine. Wouldn't have a problem with it in that case, aside from the physical disparity (leg strength vs. arm strength) issues. But I don't like changing a format for the sake of a ratings grab.

Going back to the earlier discussion about lifts, it is physically unfair to pair same sex couples as well. The women (many, anyway) would be at a very unfair advantage compared to the men if they are suddenly expected to be able to pull off the male's role in most lifts.

Prejudice has nothing to do with this for me, and I'm guessing it also doesn't for most other people here who object to it. My largest beef as I said before is that it would be done for "shock value" and to try and use a serious cause for the sake of $ and ratings. That's very wrong, in my eyes.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 11-14-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;4105318;
    Prejudice has nothing to do with this for me, and I'm guessing it also doesn't for most other people here who object to it. My largest beef as I said before is that it would be done for "shock value" and to try and use a serious cause for the sake of $ and ratings. That's very wrong, in my eyes.
    Casting a same sex couple would be a jump the shark moment for me (as if this season hasn't done it already). It wouldn't be seen as a bold, ground breaking move. It'd be seen as a publicity stunt. However, I think if the couple got dinged on scores, criticized while worse dancers got a pass, and anyone who may not like the celeb, the pro, or the particular dance would probably be called homophobic. Bruno would likely be expected to always be in their corner. This is how I see the media running with it. I just think the show should stick to basics. I'm going to guess it's all pure speculation since the Israeli version is doing it, and the media probably is just throwing it out there that DWTS will do it. Odds are the show may have not even thought of it. Also, since there's claims that Bristol's getting votes purely for being a Palin and from people not watching the show but voting anyway, odds are the same claims would be made in this case. At any rate, it'd all be for the reasons you stated. The show would hype up any sexual, sensual dance that they'd do. And they'd always get saved for last. It's been done with the stunts over and over again, and it's driving this show into the ground.

Surprisingly, I wouldn't be thrilled to see a same-sex couple on the show. My thinking is, if the pro ballroom circuit allows it, then great. (I'm not clear on the rules so I don't know if they do or not). But if the pro circuit doesn't have same-sex competitions, then the show shouldn't either.

I don't think the show (or network TV for that matter) has the maturity to handle it in a way that would present it in a positive light. If it's not going to help any causes, and instead is going to serve merely as the next stunt to create buzz, then they shouldn't do it. It's too big a leap for the show to take, and it would do more harm than good.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 11-14-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Obviously ABC would use it for stunt value...but I'd like to hear from the gay community before I close my mind to it. Somehow I suspect their view might be different from ours. But I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4105705;
    Obviously ABC would use it for stunt value...but I'd like to hear from the gay community before I close my mind to it. Somehow I suspect their view might be different from ours. But I have no clue.
    I'm a part of the gay community. But I'm just one opinion, and I'm sure it'll be in the.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

The way to handle it is if a star wants to be paired with a same sex partner than fine do it, but do not go out searching or casting to make a statement. To me, if I were a member of the gay or lesbian group, that would offend me. We just have to get to the point that we respect everyone, and let them decide what they want and embrace it. I am sure if Portia comes on the show, she would be happy to be paired up male or female with a pro, but if she wants to be with a woman than fine I would not care a bit.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4105664;
    Surprisingly, I wouldn't be thrilled to see a same-sex couple on the show. My thinking is, if the pro ballroom circuit allows it, then great. (I'm not clear on the rules so I don't know if they do or not). But if the pro circuit doesn't have same-sex competitions, then the show shouldn't either.

I don't think the show (or network TV for that matter) has the maturity to handle it in a way that would present it in a positive light. If it's not going to help any causes, and instead is going to serve merely as the next stunt to create buzz, then they shouldn't do it. It's too big a leap for the show to take, and it would do more harm than good.
    Yeah, I agree. I am sure Portia would be comfortable dancing with a man. Why not? There are gay men in this field who partner with women. Same with skaters.

+ Reply to Thread