+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Maks arguing with Carrie Ann on 'Dancing with the Stars': 'It's not a grudge thing'

Maksim Chmerkovskiy told reporters on Tuesday that he may have verbally sparred with judge Carrie Ann Inaba during Monday’s installment of Dancing with the Stars but he “doesn’t have anything against Carrie Ann and she doesn’t have anything against me.”

At the end of Tuesday’s telecast, Inaba took a moment to announce how she respected all the pros – an obvious attempt to mend fences after she and Chmerkovskiy argued about how it took “four 8s” for him to begin his cha cha cha on Monday with Brandy. Chmerkovskiy tried to dismiss the comment by saying “relax, don’t worry about it” but Inaba quickly replied that ”Kurt did more dancing” so the two began to talk over one another. Brandy just stood there silent while patting her heart.

“I wasn’t looking for Carrie Ann’s apology,” Chmerkovskiy said after Tuesday’s show. “I think we all do our jobs. We are very passionate. We actually spoke when the credits rolled [Tuesday] so it was very pleasant, a very polite conversation. We are good. It’s not a grudge thing. I don’t have anything against Carrie Ann, she doesn’t have anything against me. She said what she said at the moment, and I responded like someone who has put in two and a half months in trying to make someone the best they can be. Whatever I thought, I thought, and we’re past it.

“My concern is that fans think I’m crazy and that I’m some kind of like attention hogging…whatever,” Chmerkovskiy added. “It’s not about me wanting to be in the spotlight. I want to be in the dark. I want Brandy to be in the spotlight. That was the whole point of yesterday.”

Brandy said she really didn’t know what to think of the argument. “I just wanted to stand by Maks and understand where he was coming from, which was from a good place of passion and defending me,” the actress told reporters. ”I want to win this for Maks because Maks has been to the finals so many times and he deserved to win. And he says, `baby, don’t win for me. Win for you!’ I’m like, ‘But I want to win for you, too, dude!”

“It’s actually funny,” Chmerkovskiy continued. “ Brandy says to me 10 times today, ‘I got your back!’ And I feel bad. That’s not supposed to be her job. It’s supposed to be my job to have her back. We’re actually a partnership. I don’t feel like I’m dancing with a student, I feel like I’m dancing with an equal partner.”

Maks arguing with Carrie Ann on 'Dancing with the Stars': 'It's not a grudge thing' | EW.com

Kurt Warner Thinks It's "Unfair" He Was Voted Off ABC's DWTS

Kurt Warner tells UsMagazine.com his Dancing With the Stars days shouldn't be over.

After he was eliminated on Tuesday's show, he sarcastically told Us backstage, "Gosh it was unfair! I mean, I think we all feel, in some way, it is unfair when we get voted off. I think we felt for a long time that we should have gotten better scores than we did, so you're disappointed. We're all biased."

Though judges praised his waltz and chacha, Warner, 39, and his professional partner, Anna Trebunskaya, scored 24 points out of 30 for each dance Monday, barely beating out Bristol Palin, who scored the lowest. Warner said he isn't bitter.

"It's pretty easy for me to walk away with the great things I acquired on this show and move on to the next things in life," he told Us. "I wish everyone else well."

Competing in Monday's semifinal round along with Palin: Jennifer Grey, Kyle Massey and Brandy. Who does he think will win?

"I think Kyle has a chance because he's a tremendous entertainer, and I think a big part of this is entertainment and enjoying what you do," Warner told Us. "I love Bristol, I think she's done tremendous, and I'm proud of her. I think Jennifer or Brandy will definitely be in the final, but who knows?"

News - Kurt Warner Thinks It's "Unfair" He Was Voted Off ABC's DWTS - Movies, TV & Music - UsMagazine.com
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4102121;

"I think Kyle has a chance because he's a tremendous entertainer, and I think a big part of this is entertainment and enjoying what you do," Warner told Us. "I love Bristol, I think she's done tremendous, and I'm proud of her. I think Jennifer or Brandy will definitely be in the final, but who knows?"

How's that for diplomacy?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Everyone's very PC when it comes to answering questions about whether Bristol should still be there or not Oh, to be a fly on the wall and hear what they really think.

I can't wait for this season to be over for many reasons, but I am curious what they'll all say down the road about Bristol. Especially leading into next season what hints the producers might drop that they're changing things up (for better or worse). I'm sure the pros will give them an earful.

CNN online is now posting articles about Bristol still being on the show, although the peice originates from People. If this doesn't scream political - I don't know what does.

(PEOPLE) -- Bristol Palin may miss her hometown of Wasilla, Alaska, but the teen mom is making herself nice and cozy on "Dancing with the Stars" -- in the cellar.

For another week, Palin and partner Mark Ballas finished last with an Argentine Tango and a samba that couldn't match up with the skills of the other contestants.

But Kurt Warner and Anna Trebunskaya were only one point away from the bottom with their waltz and cha-cha performances.

Did Palin survive another week Tuesday, leaving Warner to pack his bags? Or did this week's elimination follow the last two shockers?

Palin will dance another day as Warner was eliminated. The audience chanted, "M.V.P.," to the retired football star.

It's now down to four semi-finalists. Along with Palin, they are Brandy, Jennifer Grey and Kyle Massey.

Did Bristol Palin survive another week of 'DWTS'? - CNN.com
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I wouldn't call it political -- CNN and People Magazine are both owned by subsidiaries of Time Warner Inc. so it's not surprising that CNN uses People to feed some of its Entertainment articles.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Portia on Dancing With the Stars? Maybe With Same-Sex Partner - E! Online

Portia on Dancing With the Stars? Maybe With Same-Sex Partner Today 10:01 AM PST by Marianne Garvey

She's one-half of the most famous openly gay celebrity couple. But could Portia DeGeneres soon become one-half of a same-sex dancing duo on the next season of Dancing With the Stars.

She talked about the possibility of hoofing up while phoning in this morning to Ryan Seacrest's radio show.

"They're planning to feature a same-sex couple. You're at the top of the list," Ryan told her.

"Goodness, you really do break news," Porita replied startled.

But she didn't pass.

"I'm not gonna pass, let me think about it," she told him. "I used to be a ballet dancer, it's not completely a pass. You never know."

DWTS producers are keeping close tabs on the Israeli version, which is about to feature the first same-sex pairing in any of the international show's editions. If that goes well, we could see a similar move in the U.S.

Portia, who's been making the chat show rounds to promote her new book, Unbearable Lightness, said that she's now in a place in her life where she is "more honest and open about my sexuality."

"Being with Ellen has encouraged me to help people if I possibly can," she said. "I felt like there was this horrible time in my life and I wanted to come clean about it. It's my second coming out."
    I have nothing against a same sex couple, except that it screams stunt casting, and I don't trust the network or the media. Everything would get hacked to death if someone made one slight comment that seemed offensive, and I'm sure even if the person was as bad as Bristol they'd still be getting overscored and getting voted through. I know it'll happen, though. I think I was more surprised Israel had it's own version of DWTS. That show really is all over!

Access Hollywood Live: Carrie Ann Inaba Defends Her ‘Dancing’ Judging | Access Hollywood - Celebrity News, Photos & Videos

CA says she starts everyone off with a 10, and begins deducting from there (maybe it'd be better to start them off at 1 and work their way up?) She also says giving an 8 to one couple is different than giving an 8 to another, which maybe is hinting at both Kurt and Bristol gettings 8s at the same time before, despite her not deserving it.

Next week dances for the semis are:

Brandy/Maks: AT and Paso
    Bristol/Mark: Waltz and Paso
    Jennifer/Derek: Waltz and Cha Cha
    Kyle/Lacey: AT and Samba

It's hard to say how it'll go next week. I think Bristol will no doubt be the worst, especially in latin, and leading the bottom of the leaderboard yet again.
    Kyle has surprised me every time I expect him to have a bad week, so even though I could see a struggle with both dances, he could pull them off better than I expect. I think Brandy and Jennifer will probably have the easiest week, emotions and bad editing aside. I don't think CA will come down too hard because people may think she's getting back at Maks for calling her out.

That said, unless they rig it or the Bristol brigade forgets to vote, I think Brandy or Kyle will be saying farewell.

And a program note, all 4 couples will be appearing on Larry King Live tomorrow.

Interesting analysis from someone else at the site where Erin Andrews posts her blog. Actually it seems to sum up all of our analyses here.
    Movieline: How the Hell Has Bristol Palin Survived on Dancing with the Stars?

Burning Questions || by Louis Virtel || 11 11 2010 1:50 PM

Dancing with the Stars is always good for some outrage. The show’s uneasy balance of rigid scoring rubrics and home-voter influence can make champions out of inferior runners-up (Donny Osmond’s triumph over Mya springs to mind) and losers out of deserving competitors (like this season’s shocking Audrina Patridge ouster). But now that four celebrities remain in the series’ 11th season, the most terrifying question of all remains: How on Earth is Bristol Palin — the most awkward and ambivalent performer this season — still in this contest? Let’s break down the reasons for her continued “success.”

1. Staunch Republican fan base
    In my interview with Tom Bergeron to be posted Monday, the Dancing with the Stars host claims that home-viewers who gripe that Republicans are buttressing Bristol’s success can’t complain about the results unless they voted themselves. (He goes on to make a midterm elections metaphor that I’ll joyfully save until next week.) But his argument implies that Bristol does have some political backing, and it’s hard to deny that claim. Sarah Palin is allegedly fixated on Bristol’s success in the competition, and it’s no surprise that she’s used Twitter to mobilize the nation’s baby grizzlies to vote. That’s been effective so far — as in, its prevented Bristol from ranking last, at least — but it’s not the only tenet that has worked in her favor.

Relevance: 35%

2. Staunch apolitical fan base (a.k.a. she might actually be good)
    Bristol is still the show’s worst performer, but it can’t be said that she hasn’t improved. (And she’s certainly better than losers like Michael Bolton or — gasp — Master P) In past weeks, she executed a decent pair of tangos and a respectable Viennese Waltz. Even if she hasn’t primed her skills like Kyle Massey or Brandy, what’s always important in reality competitions is the illusion of progress (something substantiated by the judges and their generally escalating scores for Bristol). In season nine of American Idol, no one could argue that Lee DeWyze was a better singer than Crystal Bowersox, but his late-competition upswing helped sway the vote against Crystal’s inarguable, but rather plateaued talents. It could be said that Bristol’s slight, but marked improvements are fueling her own underdog push.

Relevance: 10%

3. Sanjaya Syndrome
    The “Vote for the Worst” epidemic is about three years out of vogue, but is it possible that Bristol bears a certain Sanjaya and/or Antonella Barba appeal? Is she so bad and so hapless that keeping her in the competition supplies us with deep and sensual schadenfreude?

I say no. Dancing with the Stars is not like American Idol — almost nobody is a perfect dancer on DWTS (besides Nicole Scherzinger), and nobody’s claiming to be. Watching Bristol dance is never excruciating or laughable unless a gorilla suit comes into play. Unfortunately, we can’t bank on Bristol’s Halloween antics every week. Bear in mind: Kate Gosselin was demonstrably more terrible than Bristol, and she was voted off fairly early in season ten last spring.

Relevance: 5%

4. The others aren’t getting votes!
    But back to Bergeron’s earlier claim: He is exactly right that skepticism about Bristol’s standing in the competition does not translate to votes for other dancers. And really, if you were calling in to cancel out Bristol’s backers, would you vote for Kurt Warner? Rick Fox? Florence Henderson? Even the arguably great dancer Audrina Patridge? No, you’d vote for the show’s actual best hoofers, Jennifer Grey and Brandy. Or Kyle Massey, the adorable tyke and admirable performer who has stood on the precipice of elimination more times than I can remember. There’s a chance Bristol can outlast Kyle and his underdog appeal next week, but I don’t think she has a prayer of beating Jennifer, who hasn’t even busted out “(I’ve Had the) Time of My Life” yet. Time to assemble some “Don’t Be Lazy, Vote Swayze” signs, world.

Relevance: 50%
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4103303;
    Interesting analysis from someone else at the site where Erin Andrews posts her blog. Actually it seems to sum up all of our analyses here.
    I get what they are saying regarding #4. Although DWTS gets about 20MM viewers, most of them don't vote at all, in fact, I would guess it is a very small percentage who do. If every single one of those 20MM viewers voted even just the requisite amount allowed on one phone line each week, likely there would be enough votes accumulated for the other (better) contestants to match or exceed the rabid and single-minded power voting that is no doubt going on for Bristol, regardless of the quality of her (or anyone else's) dancing.

I also interpret Tom Bergeron's insinuation that people aren't voting to counteract Bristol's votes as further indication that the number of overall votes for the rest of the contestants has remained relatively constant this season vs. previous seasons, with an influx of new votes for Bristol (coming from the campaign for her IMO) making the primary difference this season.
    Last edited by ironcat; 11-11-2010 at 05:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread