+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWTS Media Thread

FORT Fan

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4051441;
    Kate and her Paparazzi costume had one more day in the sun just now -- she wore it during the opening number of the Emmys. She got to sing and dance with Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey, Jon Hamm, the cast of Glee, Betty White, Joel McCrea, and Jorge Garcia from Lost!
    She was actually kinda funny too. Intentionally. I hate to even admit that. But begging to dance and then shoving the chick from Glee out of the way - was funny.

As for her dancing, I couldn't see her really well, but I had DVR'd it and ran over it a couple of times - she didn't have much to do, but didn't really come off any worse than anyone else.

Again, I hate to even admit that...

New DWTS cast are appearing on GMA this morning. Just revealed:

Bristol Palin has been paired with Mark Ballas.

I figured Bristol/Mark would be paried. I don't enjoy Mark like many of the other male pros, but I don't absolutely dislike him, either (cough, cough, Derek). I'll be rooting for this couple.

Any other pairings announced? I pretty much figure the women, but the men I'm very curious about!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;4052306;
    New DWTS cast are appearing on GMA this morning. Just revealed:

Bristol Palin has been paired with Mark Ballas.
    Wouldn't you love to be able to read a thought bubble above the pros' heads when they find out who they've been saddled, er, paired with for the season?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac;4052366;
    I figured Bristol/Mark would be paried. I don't enjoy Mark like many of the other male pros, but I don't absolutely dislike him, either (cough, cough, Derek). I'll be rooting for this couple.

Any other pairings announced? I pretty much figure the women, but the men I'm very curious about!
    For all of her achievements and accolades, Shawn Johnson was not very worldly. Mark was very good with Shawn in that respect. Despite the fact that Bristol has had a baby and has received all of this attention - some of it at the hands of the baby daddy - she too is not very worldly. I think she has been paired with Mark for the same reason.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

At least we dodged one bullet this season (very brief article but you get the idea):

Rivers upset over DWTS snub | Celebrities | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

Joan Rivers has fired off at producers of TV talent show Dancing With The Stars after they ignored her interest in the show.

The comedienne was hoping to be asked to be a contestant on the new season of the programme, which was announced on Monday, but reveals she never received a call.

She tells Eonline.com, "They've never asked me, so they can go f**k themselves!. I certainly fall into their old lady category.

"I would do it for the exercise. Making yourself dance everyday for six hours a day I think would be so great."

‘Dancing With The Stars’: Handicapping The New Cast MTV Newsroom

'Dancing With The Stars': Handicapping The New Cast
    Posted 7 hrs ago by Kyle Anderson in Television

Though we don't yet know who their partners will be (which, let's face it, is an important factor in deciding who can win and who can't), the celebrity contestants for the new season of "Dancing With the Stars" have been announced. Ever since the launch of the show back in 2005, it has evolved from a charming summer replacement show into one of the most popular reality programs on television.

At this point, they've figured out exactly how to cast these things. In fact, you can even tell how everybody is going to finish based on the role each person plays in the cast. Check out the predictions below.

The Ringer
    Role: The professional performer (usually a musician with some kind of dance background) who provides the gold standard for the rest of the contestants. These people are usually the finalists.
    Past Versions: Mya, Nick Lachey, Nicole Scherzinger, Aaron Carter
    This Year's Model: Brandy. As Mya proved, a little R&B pedigree goes a long way.

The Football Player
    Role: Twofold. First, for the sheer hilarity of seeing huge guys doing the cha cha. And second, to (theoretically) get men interested in the show. These guys tend to overachieve because of a combination of the above.
    Past Versions: Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, Jason Taylor, Warren Sapp
    This Year's Model: Kurt Warner. Expect the quarterback to get pretty deep into this one.

The Other Athlete
    Role: To prove that athletic prowess doesn't necessarily translate into greatness on the dance floor.
    Past Versions: Clyde Drexler, Floyd Mayweather, Chuck Liddell
    This Year's Model: Rick Fox. Considering the guy retired from NBA competition with bad knees, his chances are not great.

The Athlete Who Is Actually A Ringer
    Role: To fool you into thinking there isn't a second ringer on the show. These people tend to win outright.
    Past Versions: Kristi Yamaguchi, Apolo Anton Ohno, Shawn Johnson, Helio Castroneves
    This Year's Model: Change the word "athlete" to "actress," and you've got Jennifer Grey.

The Old Person
    Role: To prove that age ain't nothin' but a number (except when it keeps you from winning, save for one case).
    Past Versions: Buzz Aldrin, Donny Osmond, Cloris Leachman, Jane Seymour
    This Year's Model: Former "Brady Bunch" star Florence Henderson, who checks in at 76 years old.

The Underdog
    Role: The person everybody knows can't win but roots for anyway.
    Past Versions: Kelly Osbourne, Ty Murray, Melissa Joan Hart, Marie Osmond
    This Year's Model: If you think people won't be really, truly pulling for Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, then you've got another thing coming.

The Mystery
    Role: The person who really makes you question the word "stars" in the title.
    Past Versions: Cameron Mathison, Gilles Marini, Sabrina Bryan, anybody from "The Bachelor" or "The Bachelorette"
    This Year's Model: Kyle Massey is probably well-known to the under-13 set, but he'll have an uphill battle with the folks who tune in and vote every week.

The Comedian
    Role: Comic relief and (typically) an early exit.
    Past Versions: Niecy Nash, Jeff Ross, Adam Carolla
    This Year's Model: Margaret Cho. Expect her to get her jokes in and exit before the checks hit the table.

The Politician or Business Mogul
    Role: Generally, to make you feel conflicted about the types of people who hold elected office and control vast quantities of wealth.
    Past Versions: Tom DeLay, Mark Cuban, Steve Wozniak
    This Year's Model: This show had to settle for Bristol Palin, who doesn't hold an office but still somehow makes her way into American political life (much to the chagrin of everybody at lefty papers).

The Babe
    Role: To look attractive. The show always wants to have a little eye candy mixed in with the dancing to properly take advantage of all those flimsy costumes.
    Past Versions: Stacy Keibler, Shanna Moakler, Shannon Elizabeth
    This Year's Model: Sexy, sexy Audrina Patridge, who was "Dancing With the Stars" veteran Erin Andrews' pick as this year's dark horse favorite.

The Guy Who Will Totally Take Over The Show
    Role: To take over the whole show.
    Past Versions: None.
    This Year's Model: Look, we just really think Hasselhoff is going to kill this thing, OK?

The Person Who Goes Home First
    Role: To go home first.
    Past Versions: Penn Jillette, Belinda Carlisle, Tucker Carlson
    This Year's Model: Sorry Michael Bolton, but you'll be home before your soup gets cold.
    I have to disagree with a lot of the analysis. For one thing, I don't consider the Situation an underdog, unless he develops a personality like Ty Murray. Flashing your abs and coming from a show that folks in Jersey consider a disgrace (at least my relatives on the show do), isn't an underdog. I'd consider that to be Kyle, since no one knows who he is. But it's an article by MTV, what can they say? Second, I wouldn't have called Drew Lachey a ringer in comparision to Nicole or Mya.

I will agree about Michael. I feel like he'll be the fall guy to go first. Everyone else will have a fanbase or ABC by its side. That's why I hope he doesn't get Chelsie She's such a talent, she needs a ringer.

If anyone cares about Howard Stern's opinion, he's giving up this season because of "no hotties". And no Edyta. CA tweeted that she hopes everyone gives this season a chance, which makes me wonder if the comments she's getting aren't positive.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-31-2010 at 10:40 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4052828;
    At least we dodged one bullet this season (very brief article but you get the idea):

Rivers upset over DWTS snub | Celebrities | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

‘Dancing With The Stars’: Handicapping The New Cast MTV Newsroom

I have to disagree with a lot of the analysis. For one thing, I don't consider the Situation an underdog, unless he develops a personality like Ty Murray. Flashing your abs and coming from a show that folks in Jersey consider a disgrace (at least my relatives on the show do), isn't an underdog. I'd consider that to be Kyle, since no one knows who he is. But it's an article by MTV, what can they say? Second, I wouldn't have called Drew Lachey a ringer in comparision to Nicole or Mya.

I will agree about Michael. I feel like he'll be the fall guy to go first. Everyone else will have a fanbase or ABC by its side. That's why I hope he doesn't get Chelsie She's such a talent, she needs a ringer.

If anyone cares about Howard Stern's opinion, he's giving up this season because of "no hotties". And no Edyta. CA tweeted that she hopes everyone gives this season a chance, which makes me wonder if the comments she's getting aren't positive.

The Guy Who Will Totally Take Over The Show
    Role: To take over the whole show.
    Past Versions: None.

This Year's Model: Look, we just really think Hasselhoff is going to kill this thing, OK?

This whole post was pretty funny and somewhat sad because it often points out the winner as well ( as if it is pre-determined ahead of time).
    However, I would have to disagree bigtime in one area, and that would be with "The Guy Who Will Totally Take Over The Show". This person lists the "Past Version as 'None'".

Anyone who watched the season with Gilles, knows that category selection simply...is...not...true. (And, I wasn't anywhere near as enthralled with Gilles as the majority of the board!)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

It seems like everyone is predicting it's Jennifer's to lose. I'm not sure why. I guess she had ballroom training, which negates the theory that they couldn't have had previous training in that dance genre. I'm hoping she's not as good as being predicted, but if Derek got another Nicole/Joanna/Lil Kim/Brooke I'm going to think he does have dirt on the producers. He needs a horrible hoofer. I don't care how old or young. I'll eat dust if he makes the finals and wins. I guess I'm one of the only ones who didn't like Jennifer in Dirty Dancing.

A somewhat interesting article from the producers. Given the names they've thrown out as people they wanted cast, I guess we dodged many bullets. Though I'm sad by some of the names who've turned it down, and wonder why they don't cast Melanie Griffith. Looks like we're probably in for many more seasons heavy on reality TV casting:

Who turned down ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Who turned down ‘Dancing With the Stars’
    Like 35 Retweet 50 by Leslie Bruce and James Hibberd | September 1, 2010 at 3:00 am | View Comments

Exclu: We've seen who will cut a rug on the next "Dancing With the Stars." But do you know who turned ABC down?

According to a source involved with casting, the network approached Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg to join the dance card for the show's 11th cycle but was unable to secure him. The network also lobbied unsuccessfully for Sylvester Stallone, political commentator Ann Coulter, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, the real Erin Brockovich, billionaire Richard Branson, comic actor Tim Allen and former TV darling Suzanne Somers.

"We've approached a lot of people over the years," executive producer Conrad Green told THR. "People say no for a variety of reasons. Some people like the show but think they suck at dancing. It's a lot easier to say no than it is to say yes."

Others who have turned down the show in the past: Reality star Kirstie Alley, "Community" star Joel McHale and "The Price Is Right" host Drew Carey.

Although lobbying for a spot on the roster has proved successful in the past -- hello, Melissa Joan Hart -- the casting source said those who push usually have little success.

"Melanie Griffith tries to get on every season," the source said.

And even before rehearsals begin, whispers of on-set drama are running rampant.

Bristol Palin, daughter of former GOP vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin, already has been dubbed this season's Kate Gosselin, who was famously difficult at times last season.

"Bristol was really annoyed by all the questions about whether her mom would be in the audience to support her," the source said. "She kept complaining about the amount of press she had to do. She is acting like this is all a big pain."

Nonetheless, the Gosselin effect might be music to ABC's ears. During her stint on the network last season, "DWTS" saw a surge in ratings -- 23 million people tuned into the March 30 episode to see if Gosselin could remember her steps -- and for the first time toppled reality competitor "American Idol."

From "Jersey Shore" star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino to America's favorite TV mom Florence Henderson, it's clear the network kept to its tried-and-true casting formula: a mix of longtime stars, athletes, a choice seemingly from out of left field and a heavy dose of familiar faces from reality shows.

"This show is a different kind of reality show," said former "Hills" star Audrina Patridge, who is on the show next season. "It is much more challenging. I can't wait for the audience to see a different side of me as I overcome my fears of being in front of a live audience."

"DWTS" seems to be relying more heavily on controversial reality stars to bring in viewers in recent years.

The first six cycles of the series featured only two reality stars: "The Bachelor" contestant Trista Sutter and "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" star Kim Kardashian. However, the past four have seen six reality personalities grace the ballroom floor. With the addition of Patridge and Sorrentino this season, the trend continues.

"Every season you move things forward," Green said. "When we first started, there weren't many reality shows, now there are a billion of them. Everyone interesting to watch has either had a reality show or been approached for one. Those are the people buzzed about, and they are the same people that will make our show compelling to watch."

What's in it for contestants -- besides exposure, a crash fitness course and ballroom bona fides?

According to the casting source, all contestants earn equal compensation for the show, subject to their ability to avoid elimination.

With a $345,000 pot up for grabs during the 10 weeks of airtime, the source said each star makes an initial $125,000 for signing, three weeks of rehearsal before the premiere and competing in the first two episodes, even if the cast member is cut after the first dance.

The breakdown for the remaining weeks is $10,000 an episode for Weeks 3 and 4, $20,000 an episode for Weeks 5 and 6, $30,000 an episode for Weeks 7 and 8, and $50,000 an episode for the final two weeks.

The production source said contestants forfeit a portion of their salary if they fail to meet the ultra-strict rehearsal schedule.

"Initially, they rehearse six hours a day, every day," the source said. "Then it moves to eight hours a day. If they don't comply with the entire schedule, the network will deduct it from their paycheck."

But this doesn't mean the network won't accommodate some over-the-top requests.

"There is flexibility to take care of them," the casting source said. "Not necessarily financially, but if they want a fancy hotel or transportation [they will allow it]. No one is getting $500,000 for a season while someone gets a third of that. If they were to [budge] once on that, they would be screwed."

Without fail, some stars attempt to bring their own team aboard for the show, but that's another area the network holds the line on.

"Nobody has ever been allowed to use their own hair and makeup team," the casting source said. "[If the network approved it], they would all want it."

Additionally, ABC does not grant contestants the ability to be involved in the partner-selection process.

"Production pairs up the star and the professional," the production source said. "If they didn't, everyone would be vying for the same few dancers."

Also in next season's cast are former "America's Got Talent" judge David Hasselhoff, singers Michael Bolton and Brandy, "Dirty Dancing" star Jennifer Grey, former NBA player Rick Fox, comedian Margaret Cho, former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner and Disney Channel sitcom star Kyle Massey.

"DWTS" will have its two-hour premiere Sept. 20.
    And apparently, showmance rumors are already starting.

Jennifer Grey was in Dirty Dancing many years ago. She had to really train for it at the time. She wasn't a natural.
    She's now 50. There's a big difference between ones 20's and one's 50's.
    I probably have a real soft spot for her, as she looked just exactly like my best friend in middle school - prior to Jennifer's nosejob.
    Sadly, after she finally got her nosejob, Hollywood pretty much turned their backs on her.
    I still happen to like Derek. I do agree, however, that he usually gets the more agile and lithesome women.
    I am glad that he'll be paired with Jennifer, because I do think she's not going to get that much of the fan vote.
    I think Brandy will do well, as will the Hoff. He'll be the latest version of George Hamilton.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I was just about to come post that article, Kara! I too wonder why they won't cast Melanie Griffith...I think she'd be pretty good, and she is a star. And I sure do wish Stallone had said yes!

As far as Bristol's whining goes, if it is ONLY about not liking only being asked questions about her mom...well, I don't really blame her. This is something for her to do that shouldn't have anything to do with Sarah Palin. Granted, nobody expects that to really happen, including Bristol I'm sure, but if I were wanting to get out of the shadow of my famous/polarizing mother and every question that were directed at me was all about her, I'd probably get crabby too. I do hope it won't ruin her experience with the show.

Does anyone know when they'll release the pair photos?

+ Reply to Thread