+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 10/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 10/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Latifah was great. Never heard her sing before and guess what - SHE didn't lip sync!!! So bravo!

Shocked Albert is going. It is the model curse. Models are always the first to leave - I guess no fan base.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

Latifah has an amazing voice. She filled in at the Academy Awards a few years ago and she was outstanding. She's very talented.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

FORT Fogey

She does have a lovely voice, but as far as her being a role model for young people, I believe she has had a few brushes with the law in the past. I will have to do some research later to double check exactly what it was.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

She's living her life clean now. I think that counts for a lot.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2596555;
    Hate it when I do that. Albert was sent packing......wish it would have been Jennie. She looked so strange last night....like she ate a lemon. Maybe she was in pain?
    Jennie has been fighting a sore throat and laryngitis all week, so I am sure she felt like crap. And then to add the spill on top of that? I feel badly for her, especially as I thought she was doing just fine up to that point.

Think back to any other season....we didn't have the quality in week one and week two that we are seeing this year. Jennie, Mark, and Cameron all would have seemed GREAT in comparison to many of the duds we had in any previous season. The fact that they're in the same competition with people like Helio and Sabrina just make them pale in comparison, unfortunately.

I wasn't the least bit sorry to see Albert go. I found him very annoying and full of himself. Of course, if you're eliminting on talent alone, Wayne should have been gone in week one.

I don't really give a fig who is the most talented, because it's all subjective anyway. Even the "expert" judges have different opinions frequently. All I watch for is the entertainment value. I think it's also interesting to see the celebs who start out not so good and steadily improve. Maybe they even deserve the votes more than the ones who come in with prior training, etc., who are already pretty good to start with.

I've said it before, the bottom line with these reality competition shows is that they are entertainment. I used to vote occasionally, but I don't really care any more to get that much invested in these shows, and I find I enjoy them more when I'm not all worked up over who is eliminated, who wins, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Dingo;2596365;
    There are three components to winning DWTS as already mentioned before: performance, technique, & fan base. Albert was seriously lacking in the fan base department so it's not all that surprising that he is the one sent packing. Wayne will probably stick around for two more weeks before he is finally sent packing.
    Some of the celebs create a fan base through personality, dance ability, etc. Probably there are a lot of people who, like myself, found Albert obnoxious and full of himself. I'll bet a lot of people have never heard of Helio before either, but I'd guess he's getting a pretty sizeable fan base about now.

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

Well, shucks...

My DVR second guessed me and chose to record another program! As Chicken said... DAYUM!!

I did catch the elimination at the start of Boston Legal, so got the bad news quickly... I actually gave Albert some votes (I did vote on the internet this time...) along with Cam. I managed to get 18 in by clearing cookies and changing my log in, but apparently I should have given all my votes to Al - then Cam would have gone, and I would be even more disappointed...

I'm sorry I missed Queen sing, but I saw her the other day on Regis & Kelly... So all is OK... I became a true fan of hers in Chicago... She has taken a circuitous route, hasn't she... Rapper to actor to real singer... (I wish I had seen the dance accompanyment, though...)

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to try (again) to watch the episode on site. I couldn't get it to work last week - this satellite connection may be too slow for their system... grrr... I'm always just one step behind... I thought all would be well with my internet world when I was finally able to upgrade from dial-up... Hah...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2596750;
    Some of the celebs create a fan base through personality, dance ability, etc. Probably there are a lot of people who, like myself, found Albert obnoxious and full of himself. I'll bet a lot of people have never heard of Helio before either, but I'd guess he's getting a pretty sizeable fan base about now.

I did not find Albert to be obnoxious at all. I thought he was very handsome and charming, but still a little "goofy" acting, so he did not come across as full of himself at all.

Helio is quite famous in the racing world, so I would think that he already had a large fan base before the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2596690;
    She does have a lovely voice, but as far as her being a role model for young people, I believe she has had a few brushes with the law in the past. I will have to do some research later to double check exactly what it was.
    Yes, she had a couple of wild moments, but this doesn't mean she isn't a great role model for the young pop tartlets of today. The reason is because being a role model doesn't mean you can never have made mistakes in your life... everyone makes mistakes, and Latifah was no exception. But when you're able to take responsibility for those mistakes and see that it's up to you to turn your life around, and you do that sucessfully, then yes you become a good role model for your comtemporaries. And Latifah has done that, and has become a role model for young women in the entertainment and musical business. And she recognizes that, like it or not, people in their profession do get looked at by fans and become role models and you have to deal with that in a responsible way. In her words
    Crave Online: When you see today's young pop stars cutting up, what advice would you give them?

Queen Latifah: Most of young Hollywood is not cutting up though. Most of young Hollywood is doing all right.

Crave Online: Then how about those three or four who always make the news?

Queen Latifah: But they're young. They probably just need to take it down a minute. Back up, take a step, look in the mirror, make sure you're all right. Hire a damn driver. We all have to learn the hard way sometimes but it's okay to ride in the backseat sometimes. It's really all right. Designate a driver. That's what I got to say to the young people because you can't tell them, "Don't do this, don't do that." We all did it. We all tried things. That's what life is about: learning, experiencing. You don't learn sometimes unless you fall on your face but you don't want to fall on your face too many times on the same things. You want to recognize when you have a problem dealing with something and just ask for help. I think most people will be compassionate to that idea but they also have to realize a lot of people are looking at them as role models. How do you want to use it? Do you want to use it for the greater good or do you want to use it for a bunch of wasted stuff?
    Personal life

Latifah's older brother Lance was killed in 1992 in an accident involving a motorcycle that Latifah had recently bought him. Latifah still wears the key to the motorcycle around her neck, which can be seen throughout her performance in her sitcom Living Single. She also dedicated Black Reign to him. In 1993, Latifah was the victim of a carjacking, which also resulted in the shooting of a friend. In 1996, she was arrested for possession of a small amount of marijuana and a fully loaded hand gun, resulting in a fine and two years' probation.

In her 1999 autobiography, Ladies First: Revelations of a Strong Woman, Latifah discussed how her brother's death led to a bout of depression and drug abuse, from which she later recovered.

Because of her portrayal of a lesbian in Set It Off and her avoidance of discussing her romantic life, tabloid media have at times speculated on her sexual orientation. Latifah, responded to these rumors in her autobiography by saying: "It's insulting when someone asks, 'Are you gay?' A woman cannot be strong, outspoken, competent at running her own business, handle herself physically, play a very convincing role in a movie, know what she wantsóand go for itówithout being gay? Come on." Queen Latifah is an advocate for same sex marriage and other gay rights issues.

In early 2003, Latifah had breast reduction surgery to relieve back pain. She also works out with a trainer and kickboxes.
    So to repeat myself, I admire her for what she's been able to accomplish, and for turning her life into a success story, and feel she's one of the best role models young Hollywood could have -- if only they'd open some of their eyes and see it.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread