+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 5/14 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/14 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2391075;
    Ok, finally got to see it. There is absolutely no way Laila deserved the scores she got. The level of difficulty was just not there and she just doesn't have the pizazz that Apolo or Joey have. I'm not saying she has to be as good as the women professionals, but she isn't even as good as the male celebrities.
    But the degree of difficulty aspect doesn't (and shouldn't) come in to the judges scoring. They're looking at the technical aspects of the dancing, and score accordingly. That's why with the judges, couples can get away with a more simple dance and score high. The degree of difficulty / artistic merit aspects of judging come from the viewer votes, and I like it that way. When a couple doesn't put a lot of flash and fun in a dance, they get hurt with it in the viewer voting (which is why Joey and Kym's waltz got them in the bottom 2 last week). I adore Laila and Maks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up in the bottom two, perhaps even out, tonight. Their dances were good, but not the kind that make you say "YEs!" and jump off your couch to vote.

But the degree of difficulty aspect doesn't (and shouldn't) come in to the judges scoring. They're looking at the technical aspects of the dancing, and score accordingly. That's why with the judges, couples can get away with a more simple dance and score high. The degree of difficulty / artistic merit aspects of judging come from the viewer votes, and I like it that way. When a couple doesn't put a lot of flash and fun in a dance, they get hurt with it in the viewer voting (which is why Joey and Kym's waltz got them in the bottom 2 last week). I adore Laila and Maks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up in the bottom two, perhaps even out, tonight. Their dances were good, but not the kind that make you say "YEs!" and jump off your couch to vote.
    Just the opposite... degree of difficulty does enter into the judges scores along with the "cleaness" of the routine and the artistic factors involved with presentation. After 20 years of dance competitions you rarely see a clean, simple dance trump a complicated and difficult dance. While it might seem unfair, choreography is usually a large part of the score. That is the reason that Cheryl has done well, she is very good at making her celebrity dancer look good with her choreography.

Julianne and Kim are by-passing her this season. Their choreography has been the most fun to watch.

Maks on the other hand is just as much fun to watch

It's like diving or gymnastics... degree of difficulty is part of the equation when they arrive at their scores. That being said, it is inherently unfair to compare a 60 year old man against a 23 year old woman. That is kind of what happened in season 1.
    Last edited by skyhigh79; 05-15-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: my first time to try quotes... i'll get it right eventually :}
    Tahoe bound....

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2391625;
    Not if you vote like crazy before noon (EST) at abc.com.
    I would, but they only let you vote 5 times

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2390259;
    I've got to disagree with you there. Nothing wrong with a little brief nudity.
    I would agree with you, if there was something worth looking at. (Sorry, ladies, I'm just not into Max).

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego;2390141;
    what are the judges doing?
    My opinion on what the judges are doing is pushing for a Laila / Joey final two.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2391907;
    My opinion on what the judges are doing is pushing for a Laila / Joey final two.
    No way, no how. Joey and Apolo are the two best celebrity dancers and they are the two that should be in the last dance off.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2391856;
    Just the opposite... degree of difficulty does enter into the judges scores along with the "cleaness" of the routine and the artistic factors involved with presentation. After 20 years of dance competitions you rarely see a clean, simple dance trump a complicated and difficult dance. While it might seem unfair, choreography is usually a large part of the score. That is the reason that Cheryl has done well, she is very good at making her celebrity dancer look good with her choreography.

Julianne and Kim are by-passing her this season. Their choreography has been the most fun to watch.

Maks on the other hand is just as much fun to watch

It's like diving or gymnastics... degree of difficulty is part of the equation when they arrive at their scores. That being said, it is inherently unfair to compare a 60 year old man against a 23 year old woman. That is kind of what happened in season 1.
    If just the opposite happens - if degree of difficulty comes into the judges scoring in THIS competition, they how did Laila and Maks get 60 last night?

ahhh... there is the fly in the ointment. Laila and Maks should not have gotten a 60. That is where the "hollywood" comes into the equation. Their scores were inflated to keep them in the competition. Now there is nothing that says the judges have to score them properly. I am absolutely sure that the producers want a certain outcome, in order to keep viewers coming back. No where does it say that this is a fair competition, so I'm sure in their pre-show meetings they(judges) are instructed to "keep it close".

The judges see these routines at dress rehearsal.... they know what is coming. They can't control the vote, but they can adjust their scores.
    Tahoe bound....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2392038;
    ahhh... there is the fly in the ointment. Laila and Maks should not have gotten a 60. That is where the "hollywood" comes into the equation. Their scores were inflated to keep them in the competition. Now there is nothing that says the judges have to score them properly. I am absolutely sure that the producers want a certain outcome, in order to keep viewers coming back. No where does it say that this is a fair competition, so I'm sure in their pre-show meetings they(judges) are instructed to "keep it close".

The judges see these routines at dress rehearsal.... they know what is coming. They can't control the vote, but they can adjust their scores.
    I think that is where our disagreement stems -- I was talking about the way that scoring is done by the judges in this competition. I think you were talking about scoring for REAL ballroom dancing competitions, where I totally agree with you that degree of difficulty and artistic merit are key aspects of the scoring.

You're right Veruka!

It is wishful thinking on my part to have the judges scores be on real merit

This is entertainment.
    Tahoe bound....

+ Reply to Thread