+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DWtS In The Media

Re: DWtS In The Media

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2406403;
    It seems like there is some formula that requires a few formerly popular actors, retired athletes... or at least not currently competing (like Apolo), former popular singers and then just "celebrities" ala Paris Hilton(don't do anything but be famous) and of course the "newscast" types.

Donny would be good, but he has lots of experience and would be a shoo in to win.

Don't forget the soaps... there are lots of actors/actresses to chose from there
    Actually, I think Donny would have a hard time winning. He's had lots of knee problems over the years, so doesn't have the movements he used to have. But he does have charm and an attitude to win which ould help him. Oh and I never forget the soap operas. The spectacle of Kelly Monaco's tarnished win on her own network will never let DWtS fans forget the soaps. Nor will Lisa 'These Are My Blowfish Lips' Rinna let us forget it. And I sincerely pray that the gimmicks (such as Mills) won't be attempted again by DWtS producers. :nono
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I think Mills was lame attempt to replace Fergie (Duchess of York) who had been interested.
    Tahoe bound....

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2407049;
    I think Mills was lame attempt to replace Fergie (Duchess of York) who had been interested.
    Pun intended?
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fan

I'll do it! I promise never to complain about my busy schedule, and I'll do everything Maks tells me to. Oops, I forgot to get famous. Bummer.

Me too, weary. I'd love to do something like this. I miss performing, and I've always wanted to do ballroom. But I can't think of an honorable way for a 41-year-old, needs to lose 25 pounds, mother of three to break in to the celebrity.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2407649;
    Me too, weary. I'd love to do something like this. I miss performing, and I've always wanted to do ballroom. But I can't think of an honorable way for a 41-year-old, needs to lose 25 pounds, mother of three to break in to the celebrity.
    You can apply to be in the Slimfast bit where they "punish the regular person" by turning them into a dancer.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fan

I don't think they're doing that anymore. Too bad; a lot of us would have signed up. But we would probably have looked too happy; not enough drama.
    Actually i went and hired myself a private East Coast Swing lesson to satisfy my DWTS fantasies. It was fun, and pretty healthy as midlife crises go.

Interesting backstage view from the green room during Monday night's show:

On the Scene: Dancing With the Stars' Final Three

May 22, 2007, 10:46 AM | by Shirley Halperin

Let's get ready to rumba! Reporting to you live from Dancing With the Stars (well, a few hours later — call it a West Coast tape delay), PopWatch was there at the final showdown between celebrity contestants Laila Ali, Joey Fatone and Apolo Anton Ohno. Along with their respective dance partners — Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Kym Johnson and Julianne Hough — the three hoofers duked it out in two final dances: their best of the season and a freestyle routine of their choice. As we all know, eight Dancing hopefuls have already seen their trophy dreams shattered; now, who will take the coveted prize? That was the question on everyone's minds and no one had a clear answer.

The sidelines of Dancing with the Stars are very different from American Idol, which tapes next door at CBS Television City. We journos are not seated in the audience for the show, but rather right outside the stage doors in a greenroom-like enclosure where, along with the contestants' various publicists, stylists, managers, and other professional hand-holders, we watch along on multiple monitors connected to the live feed. No one really holds back their opinions here. If Len says something stodgy or mean, we all boo. If Joey flips over, we all cheer — it's like a parallel universe to the very same thing happening some 20 feet away.

Not surprisingly, tonight the room was especially crowded and extra rowdy. Seated in the front row? Two-time winner and recently ousted dance partner of one Ian Ziering, Miss Cheryl Burke. She was on hand to do interviews for Extra, just as several former Dancing participants have also added to their onscreen résumés (Karina Smirnoff, Mario Lopez). Foregoing Cheryl's usual tanorexic bronzer and glitter overload for a pair of leopard-print stilettos and a little black dress, the look was working, a welcome change.

As everyone gets settled, the show kicks off with Maks and Laila. It looks to be a nailbiter as people lock eyes on the TV screen directly in front of them as if they were watching Psycho. So much so that the first commercial becomes a colossal cigarette break for a good third of the room (Cheryl included). Meanwhile, Tom Bergeron and Samantha Harris tape a tour promo in between dances. This, my friends, is how the networks save time and money — squeeze it into the commercial break! So if you're going to be attending the Dancing with the Stars tour this summer, look forward to this little bit of Bergeron telling you to "enjoy the show like never before!"

And since Samantha Harris (pictured) came up, let's discuss her reading and hosting issues. I haven't railed on the girl yet this season because it is live TV and, yes, sometimes judges press the wrong buttons and sometimes hosts can't add, but her many on-air snafus could be a drinking game at this point. Tonight's slip (which did not go unnoticed in the press room, naturally): "no hold barred" [sic]. She says this while looking down at an index card, so perhaps it was someone else's mistake, but somehow I doubt it. Still, the girl's got great hair.

Moving on to Joey Fatone, whom I followed around for an entire week two issues ago. The guy's been working his butt off, I can attest to that, and I know he was thrilled to have his wife Kelly, daughter Brianna and old pal Lance Bass in the crowd. The only 'N Syncer who hasn't caught a show is Justin Timberlake, which is too bad for all of us. If nothing else, Joey did pull out the 'N Sync moves in both his dances, so perhaps they were all there in spirit.

And speaking of spirit, Laila had plenty of it during her freestyle, where she rocked a pair of silver shorts with matching bedazzled sneakers. If she were the captain of her high school cheerleading squad, it would be the perfect outfit. But her booty-shaking routine, which featured a shirtless (and recently waxed) Maks, didn't wow the judges or the backstage crowd. Even Karina Smirnoff, who came by shortly after her onscreen cameo, remarked "What the hell were they doing?" Something different, insisted Laila later on, but we'll get to that in a bit.

Apolo and Julianne are up next in the freestyle. They channel The Karate Kid in their hip-hop flavored routine to the tune of Young MC's "Bust A Move" (the real-life Young MC was in the audience for the show, but couldn't perform because it might be "an unfair advantage"). Who knew Apolo could breakdance? Wait, what am I saying, who knew Apolo could dance at all? The speed-skater impresses once again as he and his 18-year-old partner turn the competition up a notch, and the audience responds in kind. We were starting to think that they had it in the bag until Joey came along and pulled out all the stops.

Joey and Kym's final dance (appropriately aligned with their song choice, Donna Summer's "Last Dance") was an abridged version of the ballroom dancing textbook, incorporating several styles that Joey had only recently learned, along with disco grooves that would make a young John Travolta proud. It was a smart, calculated move to win the favor of the judges, but will the rest of America appreciate it?

We'll find out Tuesday when the judges have their final say and, combined with the viewer vote, we'll have our next Dancing with the Stars winner. But until then, some last words from our contestants and a couple of audience members.

Laila Ali: "The judges were saying, 'We'd like to see you be more elegant next time,' and I was, like, 'Well, this was the last time! I've been elegant and sophisticated the whole competition, that was the point of me doing that freestyle.' I never in my wildest dreams thought they'd say something like that. I wasn't bummed at the time, but I got more irritated after the fact. I was, like, 'Wait a minute, with the freestyle you're supposed to be free and have fun!'"

Joey Fatone: "I think it was a strategy. We wanted to impress everyone with the lifts and showing everything I've incorporated dancing-wise. It was fun to do. We did a little breakbeat kind of thing, added a little 'N Sync-isms, a bit in the cha cha and the freestyle. Apparently, the judges didn't like it so much in the cha cha, but what can you do? I have my razzle-dazzle and they can razzle-dazzle their asses!"

Apolo Anton Ohno: "We both want to win it. No matter what happens, I feel like we've won already. We've won with the fans, with the audience who've supported us so much, the whole experience has been like winning for me. So I'm happy either way. I thought everybody danced unbelievably tonight and I'm just happy to be in their company."

Young MC: "Apolo called me and asked if I wanted to be a guest, and I was so flattered and honored. I've watched the show, and I think Apolo and Julianne are incredible."

Lisa Loeb: "I came here rooting for Joey because I think he has so much charisma, but after seeing Apolo dance up close, I thought he did a great job. He dances so well with his partner!"
    Interesting article, but I have to ask, in light of Karina's smartass comment about Laila/Maks "Even Karina Smirnoff, who came by shortly after her onscreen cameo, remarked "What the hell were they doing?".... does Karina ever say anything positive about any of the other castmates? Also, I hope she was paying attention to Kym and Joey tonight and got a good lesson in how to be graceful when you come in 2nd. Joey and Kym were great sports and showed true class, and when Kym sweetly told Joey "you are a winner", that was a whole lot different than Karina last season snarling that they (her and Mario) should have won.

Congrats to the final three, and special congratulations to Apolo and Julianne. Apolo and Julianne were the season winners, but Joey and Kym were indeed also winners. All in all, it was right that those four were standing there together tonight. There was a lot of heart on stage then, and I just wanted to hug them all.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Interesting piece on the DWtS music:

Tuesday, May 15, 2007
    Backstage at Dancing with the Stars: Music Man Spills Secrets
    by Deborah Starr Seibel

It was a jaw-dropping semifinal, the best in the four-season history of ABC's Dancing with the Stars. Apolo Anton Ohno, Laila Ali, Joey Fatone and Ian Ziering on Monday night each pulled off grand finale-quality dances — and earned multiple "10s" from the judges — like it was no big deal to polish two entirely different routines. Plus, the routines themselves were longer: a minute and 15 seconds last week, one minute and 30 seconds this week.

The dances' length is not a question of keeping head judge Len Goodman — who's been scolding the pros for not bringing enough "content" to the routines — happy. It's the producers' mathematical equation for filling air time with fewer dancers left in the contest. "It depends on where we are in the season," says musical director Harold Wheeler. "We started at a minute, 10 seconds early on. We'll go as long as a minute, 40 by the time it's over."

Wheeler holds a lot of power in that baton. It's his job to match the performance of his live band to the records the dancers have been practicing to all week. He knows he's got to get it spot-on or he'll have a dance floor full of confused hoofers. "I know they're all nervous," says Wheeler. "So my job is making sure that the tempos I set for them — and the arrangements I do for them — complement what they've been rehearsing to all week. We're in the fourth season now and I don't want to say that I've got it down to a science, but I've got to get each performer down to a science."

Listen to this: Even after Wheeler has exactly matched the tempo of a couple's rehearsal music, he'll sometimes change that tempo between Monday afternoon's dress rehearsal and the Monday night live performance — without the dancers knowing it. "I'll kick it up a notch," says Wheeler, sounding like spice-friendly chef Emeril Lagasse. Why? Because a couple of the remaining dancers, namely Ohno and Fatone, are "adrenaline junkies," says Wheeler. When these performers are in the spotlight and surrounded by an audience, their hearts race a little faster and their feet move a little faster. "So I'll make the tempo just this much [he shows a pinch with his fingers] faster than at dress rehearsal during the live show." And the dancers really don't know he's doing it? "No," says Wheeler. "It's my thing. I have to make it a little faster because I know that's the way they are."

John Ratzenberger, on the other hand, required the opposite kind of tinkering. "The biggest thing there was never to make it too fast," says Wheeler. "Too slow would always be OK."

Once he's got the tempo problem licked, Wheeler also has to figure out whether to make his band sound exactly like the demo — or not. Think back to last week, when Ian Ziering and Cheryl Burke danced to John Lennon's "Imagine." "The song was originally done with piano, base and drums," says Wheeler. "That's it. But we have a 16-piece band and Ian was following a dance number that made use of all 16 instruments. So for his number, you can't just drop down to three. If I gave him just piano, base and drums, the audience at home would say, 'I don't know if it was all that great.' And they're not talking about the dance steps. [The music] has to be competitive with the other performers."

Did Wheeler's solution make Ziering uneasy? You bet. "In dress rehearsal, he said, 'Whoa, I gotta stop and listen to this, because this is totally different,'" says Wheeler. "And I explained to him why using just three pieces wouldn't work."

Many viewers wonder why some of the music is chosen for the show. The very first song for Season 3, for example — danced by Joey McIntyre — was Beyoncé's "Crazy in Love." Not the kind of thing that you would automatically peg for a ballroom dance cha-cha. "At the time, I thought that was the most absurd thing they could ever do," says Wheeler. "I said, what? But now I understand it. It's about attracting a wider audience. I have to take Beyoncé [records] and make them work."

It's working. And one big reason it's working is because the audience is rediscovering the thrill of live music. Wheeler and company have performed an astonishing 427 songs since Season 1. His attitude? Bring it on. "This used to be the standard," says Wheeler. "Live music. Now it's coming back — on American Idol and here. So we have fun. We're embracing live TV."

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

In the latest People magazine:

Single & Sizzling Men of '07

Maksim

The 27-year-old pro from Dancing with the Stars says he works "hard for this body, so when I dress it's like a business card. I'm not insecure. I like fitted clothes." He adds, "I know my assets so I don't have a problem opening my shirt. I notice women looking at my chest all the time. If you want to look at my chest, go ahead."

Apollo

The Olympic speed skater-turned-Dancing with the Stars champ isn't going to meet his lady at the usual meat markets. "I'm not really one to hit on a girl in a club or a bar. But if I'm at Whole Foods and this group of girls walks by, that's a different situation. I still would never walk up and say, 'Hey, what's up? Buying bananas?' because she's going to be like, 'Loser, get away from me!' But I think it's more of a comfortable place."

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast