+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree508Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Re: DWTS Media Thread

All these articles talking gloom & doom about the ratings are full of it. DWTS has always skewed older in its ratings. Some other show will often beat it for the 18-34 or 18-49 demo, which industry people hype as the key number. But in terms of total viewers, DWTS usually has up to twice as many viewers as the nearest competitor.

ABC will still get some very nice ad rates from these numbers. DWTS has nothing to worry about.
    karalott, Florimel and Critical like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I saw Tom on some local tv show in L.A. and he seemed to think they did very well - he was happy with the "total viewers" number. It got revised upward to nearly 19 million viewers. Incredible in this day and age, and way above any of the competition. That stupid 18-49 thing just dominates the chatter. In the economic downturn, the group that did the BEST were seniors, because of Social Security. They buy plenty! I think the ad execs are wrong. Nobody stays true to brands anymore, like the old days, when you'd start using Tide in your 20's and never deviate. Today, everybody's ready to change and switch the minute a new item comes on the market. Why they haven't noticed this drives me crazy. in fact, older people are MORE likely to be swayed by an ad, most likely - and many items are tailor-made for older people: Carnival Cruise lines, holidays of all kinds, upper end or larger cars, they're the most likely to eat food from the grocery store instead of eating out, etc etc. Just a huge market! With lots of time on their hands to go shopping.
    karalott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsa66 View Post
    I saw Tom on some local tv show in L.A. and he seemed to think they did very well - he was happy with the "total viewers" number. It got revised upward to nearly 19 million viewers. Incredible in this day and age, and way above any of the competition. That stupid 18-49 thing just dominates the chatter. In the economic downturn, the group that did the BEST were seniors, because of Social Security. They buy plenty! I think the ad execs are wrong. Nobody stays true to brands anymore, like the old days, when you'd start using Tide in your 20's and never deviate. Today, everybody's ready to change and switch the minute a new item comes on the market. Why they haven't noticed this drives me crazy. in fact, older people are MORE likely to be swayed by an ad, most likely - and many items are tailor-made for older people: Carnival Cruise lines, holidays of all kinds, upper end or larger cars, they're the most likely to eat food from the grocery store instead of eating out, etc etc. Just a huge market! With lots of time on their hands to go shopping.
    It was ABC themselves that said 18 million. That could have been a tad inflated. I do not understand why they need to 18-49 demographic to tune in. When I heard that I didn't understand it. I still dont.

I think part of it, is the name DWTS. On other boards in the variety forums, the question remains the same, what stars
    They dont care if someone ,who has never danced is stepping outside their comfort zone to dance in front of millions, many people want there to be big stars , thats it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

But it's like viewers & the media get amnesia before every season. There have never been big, current, A-list Hollywood stars on the show. The reason they can't or won't do it is that they're too busy being A-list stars to take 4 months off to commit to the show.
    Critical and Arielflies like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    But it's like viewers & the media get amnesia before every season. There have never been big, current, A-list Hollywood stars on the show. The reason they can't or won't do it is that they're too busy being A-list stars to take 4 months off to commit to the show.
    Did they have bigger start at the beginning? I don't remember myself
    -Andy Rooney-

Not really. You can look over the list of stars by season in our Pro/Contestant List thread and decide if any of them are A-list.

A lot of them were A-list in the past but not at the time they did the show. Which is fine with me, a star is a star.
    BTW, karalott, Florimel and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Not really. You can look over the list of stars by season in our Pro/Contestant List thread and decide if any of them are A-list.

A lot of them were A-list in the past but not at the time they did the show. Which is fine with me, a star is a star.
    Thats a great list! I was looking on Wiki season by season. No, there are no big stars there. Nothing has changed .Maybe people think stars when they see the title .THis show its fine by me .I tune in for the dancing, and I can chat to my GF's about it, we like that there is seldom any drama on this particular show, its not needed

Thanks for the link
    -Andy Rooney-

Great quote from a TV Guide article linked here: Dancing With the Stars: Surprisingly Tough Class - seattlepi.com

After the show, the buzz among staffers was about how this was a completely different bunch from last season: No divas, no drama, no reality stars, no nonsense. "These are pros," said one staffer. "They know what it means to work for a living, and they're here because they really want to learn how to dance, not because some manager told them they needed to do it for their career."
    Please keep it up ABC. This is what we want in a cast for this show.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad View Post
    Great quote from a TV Guide article linked here: Dancing With the Stars: Surprisingly Tough Class - seattlepi.com

Please keep it up ABC. This is what we want in a cast for this show.
    That is good to read, and its nice it took the pros by surprise!!
    -Andy Rooney-

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So next week is sob story/greatest moment in my life up until this point/some other story week. I was hoping they got rid of this theme. The show seems afraid to mess with its stale format, except by creating a new stage. Anyway, I heard the celebs are allowed to choose their own dance style, but I'm not sure if that's the case; like last season, there's a heck of a lot of rumbas, and then everyone else gets an entirely different dance from each other. Since I dislike the rumba and story weel, it'll be a long night. Even though I get to FF all the filler I don't care about. Anyway, here's the dance line up so far:

Rumba: Maria, Donald, Jaleel, Sherri
    Samba: Jack (I don't know if this will be good, dance wise, but probably a lot of fun)
    Salsa: William (definitely FF through the 3 stooges and audience segment; kind of odd William said he knew the salsa better than the cha cha, and after several seasons, we get the salsa back )
    Waltz: Katherine

+ Reply to Thread