+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: DWtS In The Media

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TIA__MA View Post
    The Clicker - McCarthy disses quality of 'Dancing' stars

While I agree with her, pot meet kettle. It's not like she's an A-lister either.

The Clicker - It's a 'Dancing With the Stars' reunion!
    While she's probably more recognizable than Elisabetta (and accomplished more), I couldn't name anything specific Jenny has done, other than worked on MTV, is an autism activist, and dated Jim Carrey. I think if Elisabetta is the closest to casting Clooney the show would get, casting Jenny is the closest they'd get to casting Jim. I don't consider her A-list, either. And, if they could get true A-listers, something tells me she wouldn't be on the list.

Agreed. It's totally about perception. If Jenny were in a group comparable to the season that just ended, she might be considered one of the top "stars." If she were in a group comprised of genuine A-listers, people would be wondering what she was doing there. Jenny in a group of A-listers = Elisabetta in a group of D-listers (or whatever letter of the alphabet you want to use). Granted this past season was my first watching, I've been vaguely aware of who has been on in the past and it seems like they are for the most part (but not entirely) either people getting a start on a career in the entertainment industry or those whose careers are in a decline. If one was a genuine A-lister, they probably wouldn't be on this show.

Agreed. It's totally about perception. If Jenny were in a group comparable to the season that just ended, she might be considered one of the top "stars." If she were in a group comprised of genuine A-listers, people would be wondering what she was doing there. Jenny in a group of A-listers = Elisabetta in a group of D-listers (or whatever letter of the alphabet you want to use). Granted this past season was my first watching, I've been vaguely aware of who has been on in the past and it seems like they are for the most part (but not entirely) either people getting a start on a career in the entertainment industry or those whose careers are in a decline. If one was a genuine A-lister, they probably wouldn't be on this show.
    Jenny probably would have seemed A-list in this year's group, as David was probably the only true A-lister. I do think David, Hope, and Nancy were the biggest stars in their respective fields. I've said before that some of these people, back when they were famous and had a TV show, were movie darlings, or part of a girl/boy band, likely would have turned the show down in a heart beat (I couldn't see Mel B or Joey Fatone doing this in their hey day). I think the show has managed to get some people who are more or less legit stars and A-listers by this show's standards. I just hope they look to season 12 and realized they don't need freaking politicians or stunt casting for high ratings. Or drama and bad editing.

If anyone missed Karina on Say Yes to the Dress (she's pretty, but that was awkward):

Karina Smirnoff "Says Yes To The Dress" - Video Dailymotion

And two others who turned DWTS down (but didn't complain about the lack of A-listers and saying they wouldn't do it as a result):

Cruz turns down 'Dancing With The Stars' - Giants Blog - ESPN New York

Victor Cruz may do his famous "Silk City Salsa" if he scores a touchdown in Sunday's NFC wild-card playoff game against Atlanta, but he won't be "Dancing With The Stars."

Cruz's agent received an official letter two days ago, asking the Giants wide receiver to participate in the hit television show. Cruz turned down the invitation.

"I just wanna be focused on football and what's to come," Cruz said Friday. "I'm just not at the point in my career where I feel like I need to do that."

Cruz, 25, didn't rule out participating in the future.

"Maybe in a couple years down the line, if it ever comes back up," he said.

Cruz was asked how he thought he'd do.

"I think I'd be all right," he said. "Anytime you gotta practice 20 hours a week for it, you should be able to do pretty good."
    Dolly Parton Turns Down ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Offers

With her dazzling attire and stage-brightening smile, Dolly Parton would seemingly be an ideal celebrity to hit the ‘Dancing With the Stars’ set — she’s even got the costuming down already. Still, the ‘Jolene’ hitmaker does not think she’d be a good fit and has refused several offers to appear on the show.

“Oh no! They have tried to get me on that ever since it started, even before this movie, and I said, ‘Are you insane?!’” Parton told The Boot, laughing when questioned about whether or not she’d give the popular ballroom dancing show a try. “Nooo!” she added. “I would be amazing all right, but not in the right way!”

I think they've had more "A-listers" with their musical guests than with the dancing contestants.

ABC admits 'DWTS' season 13 had 'weaker' cast - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com

I think they've had more "A-listers" with their musical guests than with the dancing contestants.

ABC admits 'DWTS' season 13 had 'weaker' cast - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com
    I'll top that-I think the pros can be considered more A-list than some of the celebs they get. Which is why new pros don't stand a chance unless they get paired with someone with a strong fan base (see Nancy/Tristan). I'm surprised ABC doesn't try and persuade some of their higher profile stars to do the show. I don't know how the contracts work, but maybe throw that in their face or something I can only hope that the names circling around now all turn out to be false, although thankfully, most times they are (give or take a few in the past that turned out to be true). I don't think the producers really "get" what the audience wants and doesn't want. I think the show could benefit from a few tweaks, because even if it's a cast pulled from the 80s or a bunch of unknowns that become the new Gilles, I'm happy. They need to cut the drama and not insult the celebs to the verge of tears, week after week. That's why I loved season 12. WTA dance aside, it was a fun, drama free, good dancing and improvement arc season. I liked that last line how they said people should give their cast a chance before passing judgement. Not hard to do and everyone can see right through why they really cast certain people (although last season, casting Rob, Chaz, and I'll even say J.R. as stunt casting failed as far as ratings went). They were lucky J.R. could shake it and was such a nice man that everyone could get behind.
    TIA__MA likes this.

Yes, I would point to Gilles, Ty Murray and JR as being three people who were relatively unknown to the viewing audience, but then ended up being huge fan favorites. I think Kyle Massey could be added in there also. We don't need controversial people to watch - we need good people who are willing to put in the effort - and the fans will get behind them.
    jucamer and Fanny Mare like this.

Cheryl Burke: A Dancing With the Stars All-Stars Season May Be Coming Soon - Dancing With The Stars

Cheryl Burke: A Dancing With the Stars All-Stars Season May Be Coming Soon
    about 8 hours ago by Gina Carbone

So many Dancing With the Stars fans have been waiting and hoping for there to be an All-Stars season. Over the weekend, two-time pro champion Cheryl Burke hinted to it possibly becoming a reality — maybe as soon as Season 15.

On Saturday, January 14, Cheryl taught dance classes and held a Q&A at Cheryl Burke Dance in Mountain View, CA. Mountain View Patch was there tweeting with updates on her responses.

Here are a few highlights from Cheryl’s Q&A:

• An All Star DWTS could be in the works for possibly two seasons from now

I've seen some wishes for an all-star season to happen, but not sure that I'd actually want one. I feel like it'd be a lot of begging and groveling by past celebs to get on, then a lot of over inflated egos by those who were picked. Plus, sometimes the chemistry and story line that we feel in love with the first time are overdone or fake the second time (usually happens on any other AS edition of shows I've watched). Besides, I'd hate to think of the return of Bristol Palin or Kate Gosselin. And, there are some celebs I'd want to see, but not without their original partner-and in most cases, the celebs I want were on different seasons but had the same pro (thinking of Jennie Garth/Lil Kim with Derek, or Mel B/Erin/Kirstie with Maks; though I'd definitely go with Mel B for that one if I had to pick).
    Last edited by karalott; 01-16-2012 at 11:31 PM.

I just read that Karina wants Tim Tebow to be on DWTS...and her partner.....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Interesting article. Maybe DWTS should have Abby as a contestant, and let Derek be her pro. That would be something to see!

'Dancing With the Stars' pro Derek Hough calls 'Dance Moms' abusive

"Dancing With the Stars" pro Derek Hough has some harsh words for "Dance Moms."
    By Ree Hines

When it comes to the on-stage and off-stage drama on Lifetime’s reality TV hit “Dance Moms,” vocal viewers tend to fall into one of two camps. There are those who think instructor Abby Lee Miller is a tough-but-effective leader for the little ladies on the show, and then there are those who find her methods over-the-top and dangerous.

As a series of Tuesday night tweets revealed, “Dancing With the Stars” pro Derek Hough falls firmly in the latter camp.

“I'm sorry but this Dance mom show is straight up abusive,” the three-time “Dancing” champ wrote. “Kids Run!!!!!!! It ain't right. Child abuse isn't right. I'm livid right now.”

Hough knows a thing or two about how talented, young hoofer hopefuls should train. Not only were his parents and grandparents dancers, too, but both he and his younger sister Julianne moved to London as children to train under fellow “Dancing” pro and ballroom vet Corky Ballas and his then-wife Shirley.

“There’s a difference between being strict and being abusive,” he went on to write. “I believe in discipline and a strong work ethic. But there is nothing productive about screaming and making little girls cry over being on the wrong foot.”

When Miller visited TODAY last year, she defended her sometimes scream-filled approach.

“All children learn differently,” she said. “Some children you can speak calmly and nicely to. ‘You need to open up your hip and press your knee back. Turn out on your passe.’ I can speak to them that way. Other children you have to yell at ‘til you’re blue in the face.”

For more from Hough and his fellow pros, watch the upcoming season of “Dancing With the Stars” starting March 19 on ABC. To get a look at “Dance Moms” and judge the show for yourself, tune in to Lifetime Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET.

I didn't watch The Bachelor this season, but hopefully this doesn't happen. Nothing like putting a horrible dent in a perfectly good cast that actually has star cred (and I've never liked any of the bachelor/ette cast offs anyway-I still get nightmares over season 8s). Sort of a strange article, though, because there's been no rumor of anyone having to drop out or leave. Did the bachelor show do that much harm to her reputation she thinks TPTB can gloss over it on DWTS and make her seem nice?

Dancing with the Stars: Will Courtney Robinson of the Bachelor Join? : People.com

Will The Bachelor's Courtney Robertson Join DWTS?
    By Monica Rizzo

Wednesday March 14, 2012 05:00 PM EDT

Will Courtney Robertson, who got engaged to Sonoma winemaker Ben Flajnik on The Bachelor season finale, bring her winning streak to the ballroom?

Sources tell PEOPLE that the Ford model – whose antics annoyed her fellow Bachelor contestants – is in talks with Dancing with the Stars producers and that it's possible she could make an appearance on the March 19 season premiere.

When asked about the rumor, a show rep said simply, "We do not comment on casting rumors. You'll have to tune in Monday and see."

If Robertson, 28, were a last-minute addition to this season's cast, she would only have five days to rehearse. Not that it can't be done as evidenced by former Bachelor contestant Melissa Rycroft, who was a last-minute addition in season eight when she replaced an injured Nancy O'Dell.

Another question mark is which pro dancer would team with the 5-feet-9-inch tall Robertson? The taller pros, including Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Tony Dovolani, already have partners.

After coming off the tumultuous season of The Bachelor, Robertson said she was eager to show people who she really is.

"I'm just a normal girl from Arizona," Robertson has said.
    And, seems like quite a few pros are doing blogs this season, if anyone's interested. Maks (I'm assuming) is still doing TV Guide, Karina is blogging for People, Derek for the Huffington Post, and Cheryl for OK.

+ Reply to Thread