+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree506Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: DWTS Media Thread

Maksim Chmerkovskiy's photo "Yup! We're definitely on a wa..." on WhoSay

At least Derek and Maks can make fun of their feud (from Mak's twitter).

Something about Derek reminds me of a grown Justin Bieber.
    That's it!

FORT Fogey

Sweet. I'm having fun following all the drama, but really, I don't think I care much beyond the entertainment value. They are both doing a good job of keeping their names in th news and that's all they can ask for. Although I don't see big fame in the cards for either Derek or Max. Derek is too quiet and understated. Max is too loud and brash. They are missing that "it" factor that lingers somewhere in the middle.

I was never attracted to any of the daners on this show with the possible exception of Tony. But, Tristan does it for me in a big way!

Max is good for entrtainmet; Derek is good for great choreography.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

The judges comments have often been up for dispute, but I feel like we're seeing it more this season than in the past. I completely agree with everything that article said. If it's not a "true" dancing competition, why bother to have judges and scores anyway? I think they've given up trying to be impartial and fair and offer constructive critiques. I'm not sure when the show crossed the line about telling people it was their worst dance or comparing them to animals or finding minor flaws with the best dancer in the group was considered constructive.

Something else I'd like to see changed in the future: mixing up the order of when the contestants dance. Rob/Cheryl are reportedly going first tonight. Has Ricki gone towards the front at all this season? It's not just Ricki, J.R. has typically been saved towards the back as well. I get bored with seeing the most overhyped contestants that the show thinks everyone will stay tuned to see going last week after week. Or that it's obvious they're going when they are so the judges can save the 10s for them.
    NFL1 likes this.

Dancing With the Stars: Tom Bergeron Says Less Is More - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Dancing With the Stars: Tom Bergeron Says Less Is More
    Nov 8, 2011 11:16 AM ET
    by Deborah Starr Seibel
    9 comments

It's still a Top 10 hit, but this season ABC's Dancing With the Stars is down nearly 14 percent from last fall, to an average of 18 million viewers. Host Tom Bergeron has a suggestion to keep viewers interested: Only air the show once a year, rather than in both fall and spring.

"One season a year works very well for American Idol," says Bergeron, who thinks the longer wait creates more viewer anticipation. "I certainly think that's one of the things that should be considered going forward. I would be looking at the spring season very carefully."

Bergeron believes a number of factors contributed to the ratings slide, especially the rejuvenation of CBS' Monday comedy slate: "The whole transition from Charlie Sheen to Ashton Kutcher [on Two and a Half Men] was handled brilliantly."

Another possibility? "You wonder if the cast isn't resonating with people," he adds. Bergeron is pragmatic about reclaiming viewers. "You can only be the new kid on the block once," he says. "The challenge is on."
    I think there's more issues this season than a boring cast. I noticed people were tweeting Tom about replacing the judges and Brooke as well, and getting rid of theme nights (now there's something where less is more). He said he and his accountant don't want there to be one season a year, but just an idea if they want to keep the show going. The spring season should be interesting as a result of this season. I always couldn't wait for DWTS to start up and the rumor mill to kick in, but I can't wait for this snooze fest to be done. I hope next season, there's more competition, less inconsistant judging, and people famous for something other than a reality show (or being related to the main "stars" of one), controversial casting, or being famous because of your parents.

He makes some good points (except for Two and a Half Men; that show was awful before and it's awful now, LOL) But if DWTS went to once a year, I think I'd prefer it to be in the spring instead of the fall. In the fall I'm always trying to catch up with all the new shows, and I'm having to watch more and more shows online after the fact. Plus their spring seasons just seem to be better, and attract better stars. Maybe more celebrities are available that time of year, I don't know...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    He makes some good points (except for Two and a Half Men; that show was awful before and it's awful now, LOL) But if DWTS went to once a year, I think I'd prefer it to be in the spring instead of the fall. In the fall I'm always trying to catch up with all the new shows, and I'm having to watch more and more shows online after the fact. Plus their spring seasons just seem to be better, and attract better stars. Maybe more celebrities are available that time of year, I don't know...
    I think it'd be better to air in the spring. It hold it's own pretty well against AI in terms of overall numbers during the week (since they don't air on the same nights). Spring seasons are typically better than fall seasons anyway. Plus, as you said, people are either catching up on their favorite shows that start in the fall and ended on some dramatic note, or people are tuning into new shows to check them out. Usually by the spring, that novelty has worn off of any overhyped returning shows or new ones.

I never really watched Two and A Half Men, but I'll take your word for it

Dancing with the Stars Episode Guide 2011 Season 13 - Dancing With the Stars, Episode 19 | TVGuide.com

"Rob: His weakness: Has the Kardashian ass. But who cares when he is a college graduate? Cue a super-cut of all of Rob's USC mentions (sans the one from five minutes ago). Seriously, dude, what are you overcompensating for? Actually, don't answer that."

Dancing with the Stars: Elimination Round : People.com

The Clicker - Grace period is over on 'Dancing With the Stars'
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 11-09-2011 at 08:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread