+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree506Likes

Thread: DWTS In The Media

Re: DWTS Media Thread

If Maks doesn't want to apologize for his comments, that's his business.
    What really ticks me off is when he went ahead and threw Derek under the bus, simply because Derek tried to defend the judges.
    Then Maks goes on to say how specially treated Derek is because he's been paired with Nicole, then Jennifer, then Rikki.
    What about the fact that Derek is just about the best dancer / choreographer on this show. Does Maks not notice when Derek / his partner get standing ovations week after week? Does he think the judges are making the audience give Derek / his partner a standing ovation?!!
    Maks needs to stop being so da*n jealous of Derek and take some humility pills!!
    Lord knows he can use them!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    . . . if Hope is not very good, then part of the blame goes to her partner
    I am married to (and completely in love with) a man who couldn't stay on beat or remember steps if you held a gun to his head. I don't think anyone could get him UP TO the level of "not very good." Some people really are just NOT going to ever feel the music or be able to dance, no matter who their partner is.
    karalott and nanarama like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    What really ticks me off is when he went ahead and threw Derek under the bus, simply because Derek tried to defend the judges.
    Then Maks goes on to say how specially treated Derek is because he's been paired with Nicole, then Jennifer, then Rikki.
    What about the fact that Derek is just about the best dancer / choreographer on this show. Does Maks not notice when Derek / his partner get standing ovations week after week? Does he think the judges are making the audience give Derek / his partner a standing ovation?!!
    Maks needs to stop being so da*n jealous of Derek and take some humility pills!!
    I think Maks (and Louis) point about Derek, is he never has received the type of criticism that most (if not all) of the pros have gotten-so of course they can see why he'd defend the judges, because he hasn't been in their shoes. Maks voiced his opinion, the other pros were asked what they thought and voiced their's-they could have easily stayed neutral like Cheryl and Anna did. And, why the need to defend Maks to the judges? Hope's not a good dancer, but they even found compliments to give to Chaz and scored them one point off or exactly the same, when I think she is better than Chaz. In the AH interview with CA, Billy Bush even mentioned how politically correct our world is, and if that contributed to the judging. They were pretty nice to him in comparision to Carson, but I think the penguin comment was tacky. Bruno may not have meant any offense, but it's still pointless. And Nancy's dancing isn't worthy of 8s or 9s, but that's CA, so I really don't care what the giddy little fangirl thinks anymore. Derek's never had to endure a partner on the level of Kate Gosselin or even Denise Richards. All his partners have been good to excellent, and the judges always find anything positive to spin out. It's why I think the pros factor into the scores and voting more than their celebs. Derek's been the one getting the 10s, because I don't think Ricki's dancing is that good, but he also hasn't been called out for things that other pros have. Maybe it's in his contract. Why can't the show give him someone that's horrible-do they really think his choreography and dancing are the be all that end all of the show? The ratings were higher last season, and were one of the highest rated in season 10 when Dmitry, Lacey, Kym, and Karina were sidelined, so it's not like one pro makes or breaks the show. I know a lot of people think Derek's the best, but I'm over him. He's never had to really work a difficult partner (that we've seen-maybe it's all in the editing ), so of course he can pull out the routines he does. Any pro could if they got lucky season after season after season (after season). I didn't miss Derek last season, but everyone's got their own taste. But it's the same song and dance every season. I knew before this season started they were going to make the finals. I feel like before his partner is even announced he's going to make the finals; either he'll get a ringer than the judges marvel at how good she is, or he gets a dancer that he hides her flaws and doesn't get called out. If Derek leaves, another favorite will get appointed. I don't see any international version being as lopsided as the same 5 pros winning in 12 seasons, especially 3 coming from the same trio. Everyone's got their favorite pros-for me, I'll always be in the Maks/Tony/Louis/Tristan/Val/Anna/Kym/Chelsie camp (of the regular ones).

I am married to (and completely in love with) a man who couldn't stay on beat or remember steps if you held a gun to his head. I don't think anyone could get him UP TO the level of "not very good." Some people really are just NOT going to ever feel the music or be able to dance, no matter who their partner is.
    I took dance for over 10 years, and I still say that you either have it or you don't. My family is much more natural when it comes to that, whereas with me, it looks like I had lessons-10 years ago. I'd look as good as any mediocre hoofer. We see all the pros get frustrated at some points, especially at this stage. Hope needs a confidence booster, and it could just be frustration coming out if Maks thinks she can do it. He mentioned in his blog how she was taking the judges comments too much too heart, and it was effecting her in rehearsals.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-27-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    TIA__MA and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I dont think he knows how. He loves himself too much.Shame he threw Derek under the bus, jealousy more than likely

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Then why did she do so well when she danced with the girls? someone said that would be good for her, & she danced sexily. She doesnt do that with her partner

What a hypocrite! Derek commenting on Maks' comments to Len (I guess he forgot the hissy fit he threw awhile back):

Derek Hough told the press after Monday’s show, "As a seasoned professional, [he] should know not to do that. There's a certain amount of self control you should have. Last week, I knew going in it wasn't going to be our best dance. I don't get upset about it, I expect it and then I take it with grace and move on. Take what with grace? Praise and love from the 3 stooges??? They certainly didn't say anything he could have been close to being upset about. What a moronic comment Derek!
    Last edited by jucamer; 10-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    karalott and Coco46 like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    What a hypocrite! Derek commenting on Maks' comments to Len (I guess he forgot the hissy fit he threw awhile back):

Derek Hough told the press after Monday’s show, "As a seasoned professional, [he] should know not to do that. There's a certain amount of self control you should have. Last week, I knew going in it wasn't going to be our best dance. I don't get upset about it, I expect it and then I take it with grace and move on. Take what with grace? Praise and love from the 3 stooges??? They certainly didn't say anything he could have been close to being upset about. What a moronic comment Derek!
    Derek seems to be forgetting the joint hissy fit he and Shannon threw in the confessional when they didn't like their scores/comments. Or the "I'm an artist" comment from Nicole when she was partnered with him. Or his best buddy Mark's behavior last season. Unless he considers himself and Mark less seasoned professionals than Maks.

As for Maks throwing Derek under the bus, I doubt Maks would have mentioned him at all, had he not approached the judges to apologize for Maks' behavior or made the above comment which points out his own behavior as more professional and gracious than Maks'. And frankly, Maks is right: the show has yet to give Derek a really difficult partner. Even Mark got Kim Kardashian and Julianne got Adam Corolla. Likewise Cheryl has gotten Wayne Newton and Kym has gotten Sugar Ray, who, for all his likability, wasn't likely to win. The show's also promoted his and Mark's music career, for all the good it did them, by having them perform on the show. I honestly liked Derek when he first came on the show, but after it became apparent that he was always going to get someone who, at the very least, was coordinated and that the judges were going to go ga ga over everything he did, I lost interest. I was particularly annoyed when, in the Nicole/Derek vs. Evan/Anna finale, Len declared N/D the winners before E/A even danced their final dance. But then, that whole season annoyed me, since Nicole was far too experienced to be selected as a contestant. They might as well have handed her and Derek their trophies on day one and skipped the rest of the season.

Overall, however, I agree that no particular pro makes or breaks a season for me, though I did enjoy the break from Derek last season, knowing that someone other than him was going to win. Much as I like Kym, I do wish it had been someone who had never won, though, just for a change of pace. And honestly, I miss Chelsie and Louis this season much more than I would Derek or Mark. I think both of them have done absolute wonders with partners who truly weren't the best dancers and who had very little experience. Neither of them may have won, but I respect what they've managed to do with people who really weren't that good, and I'd love to see what they could choreograph given a partner who could keep up with them. I'd also add that Maks took Erin, who really wasn't all that great at the beginning of their season, and turned her into someone who was capable of doing that leap off the stage onto his shoulders, so it's not as if he can't do good work with someone with no experience either. Unfortunately he and Erin got caught in the same trap of a season that denied Anna her one and only serious chance to win with Evan.
    karalott likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Then why did she do so well when she danced with the girls? someone said that would be good for her, & she danced sexily. She doesnt do that with her partner
    I didn't make it as clear as I meant to. I was just responding more generally to your comment that "if Hope is not very good, then part of the blame goes to her partner." In my mind, I was exchanging her name with "some people" really are not very good, regardless of their partner.

When they showed Hope able to show the sexy side with the women who were there, I wondered if maybe she just wasn't "feeling it" and able to respond "that way" to Maks like she seemed to be with the female dancers. I don't know enough about her personal life to know . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Same with my husband.... never will he be able to dance! He just doesn't have it, even if he took YEARS of dance lessons.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

ABC Medianet

Start time is 8:30 next week, and we're down to a 90 minute show. I was wrong about two of the dance styles: per Maks's blog, Hope is dancing the samba, Ricki the paso.

"Episode 1307 & 1307A" -- Monday's "Dancing with the Stars" kicks off live from the ballroom with an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the remaining couples as they get ready for their big Halloween night during the special ABC premiere of "Scared Shrekless," which airs Monday,
    October 31 from 7:58-8:30 p.m., ET. Inspired by the hit feature film "Shrek," viewers will join Shrek (Mike Myers) as he celebrates his favorite holiday, ogre-style. Shreck ditches the standard tricks or treats and challenges fairy-tale characters, including Donkey (Dean Edwards) and Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas), to a scary storytelling contest. Just as the contest is set to begin, they all discover they must spend the night in Lord Farguaad's haunted castle, and the last one to be scared "Shrekless" will win.

Then, the Halloween Night event continues with an exciting Halloween-themed episode of "Dancing with the Stars," filled with thrilling performances from the remaining six couples. Each pair will light up the ballroom floor with killer costumes and an electrifying dance to some of Halloween's favorite spooky tunes. Later in the night they return to the floor when Team Tango's J.R & Karina, Nancy & Tristan and David & Kym, dancing to Rihanna's "Disturbia," battle Team Paso's Ricki & Derek, Hope & Maksim and Rob & Cheryl, dancing to Evanescence's "Bring Me to Life." The gripping 90-minute show airs MONDAY, OCTOBER 31 (8:30-10:01 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

This week on "Dancing with the Stars the Results Show," global pop sensation Justin Bieber and the best selling R&B group of all time, Boyz II Men, collaborate for a television premiere performance of "Fa La La," accompanied by pro dancers Mark Ballas and Chelsie Hightower. "Fa La La" is from Bieber's Christmas album, "Under the Mistletoe," available November 1st. Bieber will hit the stage for a second time with a knockout performance of his megahit song, "Never Say Never." Pro dancer Derek Hough joins "So You Think You Can Dance" dancer Alison Holker for an exceptional Latin infused choreographed number. Additionally, this season's second "AT&T Spotlight Performance" will truly be an emotional and unique dance performance, accompanied by hot new recording artist Christina Perri singing her smash hit, "Arms." In the end, the sixth couple eliminated must say goodbye, TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1 (9:00-10:01 p.m., ET).
    If anyone's keeping track of the repeat songs, Disturbia was last danced by Lance/Lacey (probably one of the few routines Lacey ever did that I liked), and Bring Me to Life was danced by Evan/Anna during season 10 (one of his best dances). No idea what individual songs anyone else is dancing to.

+ Reply to Thread