+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 4/24 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2350023;
    Can't say that I am sorry to see her go. I just never liked her.
    Agreed and that speech at the end was most annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2350905;
    I don't think HM ever got the fact that this is a popularity contest.
    Or that she didn't belong in this show because she has no credentials to put her with the others who've appeared on the show. And hopefully, ABC won't screw around with the viewers like this again.:nono

Now, having said what I had to above... I agree with dberk that occasionally one of the teams or team members just doesn't get that it is indeed a popularity contest. Mills is one of them, and last season's Mario & Karina team most certainly definately did NOT get that -- if they had realized that going in, then maybe we would have been spared all the sour grapes and bad sportsmanship from both of them after Emmitt and Cheryl won.

And on the flip side of the coin, there have been a couple who have been annoying because they did indeed understand that it's a popularity contest but then they overestimated their own popularity or how much the casual voting viewer would put up with. Or others who seemingly felt that their popularity would carry them to the end no matter how little effort they put into learning the dances.

Fortunately, though, the majority of the non-pro dancers through the existing seasons so far haven't fallen into the extreme categories above, which is why the show has been fun to watch usually. And hopefully, the future casts will be relatively free of the likes of those above -- and free of gimmick casting also. I also look forward to the next hidden gem, like an Emmitt Smith -- I still get a big smile on my face when I think about how charismatic he was and how much I enjoyed his and Cheryl's dances each week.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2351925;
    Or that she didn't belong in this show because she has no credentials to put her with the others who've appeared on the show. And hopefully, ABC won't screw around with the viewers like this again.:nono
    I agree with this. HM may be someone in the news currently, but I don't consider her a celebrity by any stretch of the imagination. I guess I also thought this was just American clebs too.

However, while better than Jerry Rice, Emmit's limited appeal should not have warranted the ugly trophy.

When are they going to hire a DJ and just play records? When are the cheapskates going to suck it up and make a substantial donation to the winner's favorite charity?

I would like to see the judges give 2 scores. Technical and Artistic.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2353542;
    ......the ugly trophy.
    You know, that's something that rather bugs me a bit. I mean, I've been watching DWtS since it's premier, and have seen and noticed how ugly the 'trophy' is each season, but ever since I read an interview with Cheryl Burke a few months ago where she was asked about that trophy and she mentioned how her 2 were falling apart (the mirrored pieces falling off), I keep wondering when ABC/DWtS will actually have a decent trophy made for the winners each season. Aside from prize money and the résumé bragging rights, the trophy itself is the main 'reward' for winning each season, so come on.... get a well-made durable nice-looking trophy made for the winners. At least get one that doesn't start falling apart as soon as it's picked up.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2351925;
    There are no "credentials" needed to appear on this show for anybody besides the dubious honor of being invited by ABC to take part. If ABC thought that Heather was celebrity or star enough to be on this show, then, hey, whatever. They're not splitting the atom here, it's just a dancing show. I think she did well enough, certainly well enough (and more) considering she only has one leg. She was both more limber (hah!) IMO and more talented than everyone who was voted off before her and a couple that are still left in the game (both John and Billy Ray).
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2354814;
    There are no "credentials" needed to appear on this show for anybody besides the dubious honor of being invited by ABC to take part.
    Actually there are indeed credentials needed, and those are the credentials needed in viewer expectations of who will be appearing as the celeb/star halves of the dance teams. Any show that lives and dies by viewer numbers has that power of credential, and when the show itself has set the history of expectations, they validate those credentials. And this is the case with DWtS, as with any other such show that includes the word "stars" in the title. Now if ABC wants to change the name of the show to something like Dancing With the Causes, Dancing With Gimmicks, Dancing With Anyone and Everyone, or just "Dancing", then that'll change the viewer expectations and credentials needed for participants, but until then...... :nono

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2354854;
    Actually there are indeed credentials needed, and those are the credentials needed in viewer expectations of who will be appearing as the celeb/star halves of the dance teams.
    Well, she meets this viewer's expectations of celebritydom. Some of the others in the past - eh. Jerry Rice - who? Emmit Smith - wha? Who the heck is whats-his-face Mayne? Or that chick that was apparently some sort of singer from last season? At least I've heard of Heather Mills.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2354854;
    Actually there are indeed credentials needed, and those are the credentials needed in viewer expectations of who will be appearing as the celeb/star halves of the dance teams.
    Willa somebody was on last season. Never heard of her, or that other chick the country singer somebody who's husband cheated on her during the show, and so on. I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination viewers had "expectations" of these people, considering most didn't know who the hell they were. There were other obscure "celebrities" or third rate has-beens who appeared on this show on past seasons who didn't qualify for star status either yet they were cast. Though perhaps none of them were formerly married to a senior citizen musician and none of them had just one leg and none of them had the audacity to divorce him in scandalous circumstances.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2354872;
    Well, she meets this viewer's expectations of celebritydom. Some of the others in the past - eh. Jerry Rice - who? Emmit Smith - wha? Who the heck is whats-his-face Mayne? Or that chick that was apparently some sort of singer from last season? At least I've heard of Heather Mills.
    HM is only in the news because she was MARRIED to a celeb. She was never a celeb in her own right and could by no stretch of the imagination be deemed a "Star" as in Dancing with the. To me she is just a woman who was smart enough to marry a rich man that was too stupid to insist on a prenup.

Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith are two of the best known football players of all time. Even I knew who they were and I haven't watched much football since I was in high school. I don't watch ganster basketball, but I've heard of Clyde.

I don't watch the soaps, but I understand that many people do and recognize the stars in them. I don't listen to pop music, but people that do probably knew who Willa was and many people know Joey from 'N Sync. BRC and Sara Evans are HUGH in country music.

I knew Shandi from watching Lingo. I knew Apolo from watching the Olympics. It would never occur to me to watch boxing, but I knew who Laila was.

To me sportscasters are borderline, but many were celebs before picking up the mike or have a big following.

My point is that personal recognition is less an issue than their credentials. Drew was in 98 Degrees which made him acceptable as a "star", but his brother was the famous one of that group.

How can we put pressure on ABC to fork over some dough for charity and a decent trophy? Actually they didn't make fun of the glitterball until we went on and on about how hideous it is. Now they will never improve it because it's become and running gag.

Okay, according to the Oxford dictionary (not the abridged or on-line version), a star is "8a a famous person; a celebrity". A celebrity is "a well-known person". So by that definition, Heather Mills is one of the biggest stars they've ever had on the show.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast