+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ian Ziering & Cheryl Burke - Season 4

Something's been gnawing at me since the first show this season. Cheryl seems really ill at ease around Ian when not dancing. She only rarely looks at him, even when Samantha is interviewing them, or one of the judges or Tom is speaking to her and Ian. With Emmitt last year, and Drew the year before that, when either of those was speaking, Cheryl would look at them as they spoke, occasionally nodding at what they said, smiling at them while they spoke, and just generally paying attention to what they said. There was definate interaction and body language that showed interest in what Drew and/or Emmitt were saying. With Ian, she keeps her back to him, keeps more space between her back and her partner's chest when standing that way, (more than she did with either Drew or Emmitt, that is) and when Ian speaks she doesn't look at him, she keeps her head and eyes forward, not really acknowledging him. And when he does his rubbing of her arms like he does, you can see that she ever-so-slightly stiffens up a bit. I'm really getting a strong impression that she doesn't like this guy that much... or at the very least, as much as she did Drew and Emmitt. In fact, a couple of times in interview portions with Sam on Monday's show, it was like watching a deer try to escape the headlights while he was holding her arms. Of course, when the dance starts, it's different, she comes alive as only Cheryl can. But when the dance is over... hmm. I've always thought he was a super icky rodent, but that was my own personal opinion of him, but watching Cheryl's body language and reactions around him when not dancing, I really have to wonder if she's not feeling a bit like that, herself. When you play back a tape of them during the interview stages, and seeing them in the background during other team interviews, and turn off the sound to concentrate just on her face and expressions.. it really is pretty obvious.

I'd like to be wrong, but I'm not liking the effect Ian appears to be having on Cheryl
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie
    I'm seeing a lot of comments like this on other boards. After re-watching the tapes, Cheryl seems her usual self after the first dance. She hugs Ian on the dance floor, turns to look at him during Samantha's interview, and hugs him again after their scores were given. It's after the second dance that she seems different to me. Although she hugs him on the dance floor, not once does she turn to look at him afterwards. Something has happened, but it may not have anything to do with Ian. Who knows. Whatever it is, I seriously hope she takes care of it. She's my favorite, and I'm not liking what I see.

FORT Fogey
    I haven't studied the tape, but I have noticed a subtle difference in the way Cheryl responds to Ian while not dancing. With Drew and Emmitt, she almost seemed somewhere between flirty and little sister-ish (I know, not really a word, but hey, I did it anyway). With Ian, she just seems less comfortable, but he seems to be just fine being all hands with her. Maybe that's the difference. Drew and Emmitt seemed respectful of her and hugged her, may have put an arm around her waist or shoulder, but never seemed to be pawing at her the way Ian is.

I don't know what it is, but I think it is and will continue to affect their chemistry on the dance floor, regardless of how professional she is.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I still go with the fact that maybe because Cheryl has a boyfriend now, she might be a little uncomfortable with the touchy-feely stuff from Ian. Drew was happily married, so was Emmitt (and older than her) but Ian is a single man so it might be a little unnerving to her... JMO of course....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Newbie
    There are several pics of Ian and Cheryl at wireimage.com and gettyimages.com (can't get the links to post right). They were at a couple of events about a week ago and seem pretty comfortable together.

Whatever it is (boyfriend, Ian, bad day) I'm sure word has reached them by now. The topic has popped up on other boards, besides ABC, and someone even commented about it on her website. Cheryl doesn't strike me as someone who will allow inappropriate/unwelcome behavior to continue. We shall see.

FORT Newbie
    Gosh I keep thinking that I'm just blind because yeah I've seen this brought up a few places and I really am just not seeing it. Yeah she and Ian may not be as super close as her and Drew or her and Emmitt but again it's only been two dances.

Keep in mind that after Drew and Cheryl's first dance, many commented on them bickering a lot in the practice clip and how she came off a little like a dictator. I also remember how when Drew went to hug her after their first dance she gave him a what the hell look. Maybe she's someone that takes a bit to completely warm up to a person.

Last season she looked appropriately pissed at Emmitt after their tango, feeling they could have done better if he'd put in more hours of practice but he refused to say it was a bad idea that he continue to fly home and see his family every week. Maybe Cheryl's attitude after the second dance was more about the scores than Ian...because not for nothing, I think they were definitely underscored.

Also as for Ian maybe being too handsy...not seeing it. Drew used to wrap his entire arms around Cheryl tightly, and pull her into his body. He did it so much and so intimately that many at other boards, despite the fact that the guy had a pregnant wife, felt that he and Cheryl seemed too cosy. Oh and the first time he did it, Cheryl did seem to stiffen up a bit, like he caught her by surprise.

Really I just think, maybe it's because she's the defending champion, there's all this pressure to see if she could do the three-peat, that people are just overly judging the girl a bit...watching her a little too closely. Oh she was pissed about being in the middle, she's a sore loser, oh she doesn't like Ian, she hates him touching her, etc. etc. Again I say give it at least a few more dances before all those assumptions start being made...especially since I have yet to see the big difference in Cheryl that so many seem to be seeing. JMO

FORT Newbie
    I completely forgot about that Tango with Emmitt. And I'd be plenty po'd with those recent scores too.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a mutual attraction thing? Granted this is my first full season with DWTS, I think she likes him too but I will be watching more closely tomorrow night.

Cute bit on ESPN this morning with Kenny Mayne talking to Cheryl about doing a 3-peat.

Bill
    Last edited by Boston_Bill; 04-01-2007 at 02:02 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Was the ESPN bit a clip or do you know the name of the segment? I haven't been able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by klm1;2307025;
    Was the ESPN bit a clip or do you know the name of the segment? I haven't been able to find it.
    It was just part of SportsCenter with Mayne doing the story on Burke. Im hoping DWTS shows it tomorrow or they repeat it on SportsCenter

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-07-2007, 01:24 AM