+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ian Ziering & Cheryl Burke - Season 4

Re: Ian Ziering & Cheryl Burke - Season 4

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2323521;
    Nemesis, I like Cheryl, but she shouldn't complain. The poor girl has been consistently paired with good dancers. I'll call her poor when she'll be stuck with the token old man or with the likes of Billy Ray and Clyde.
    I don't think anyone has said Cheryl has complained, and certainly no one has said Ian wasn't a good dancer, not even me who really dislikes the guy a lot. That wasn't the point of my post.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Wow, I expected there to be more Ian fans.

He's my fave, I want them to win but I guess now I know they won't.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Seeing Drew last night just proved to me how badly matched Ian and Cheryl are. I miss that Cheryl, and I hope she can keep her fanbase up for next season and get a better matched partner again...

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2324982;
    Seeing Drew last night just proved to me how badly matched Ian and Cheryl are. I miss that Cheryl, and I hope she can keep her fanbase up for next season and get a better matched partner again...
    Yes, the sparkle is missing this season. Or it was until Drew showed up. And if Emmitt shows up maybe it will magically reappear again. I think she has enough fans that if she does get a better partner she connects with the sparkle will resume.

I'm still an Ian fan but after the first episode, I'll have to say I now place Joey ahead of him.

FORT Newbie

Personally I think Joey's over-rated but that's just me...I think the unlikely ball-room dancer and thus dark horse to take it all is probably Apolo. Laila is quite good too but the last two weeks have shown some cracks.
    I think it is prudent to remember that last season Emmitt sort of fell in the middle for a few weeks...and it very much looked for awhile that the competition was going to be between Joey and Mario. People really should not under-estimate Cheryl.

Also I'm sorry, no matter how many ways people spin it, I'm really not seeing the utter awfulness in Ian or this supposed enormous rift or uncomfortableness between him and Cheryl. The girl is probably a bit burned out and that's not surprising and I think Ian may be too tense and as Carrie-Ann said the first week, that she worried he was going to mind-trip himself out of dancing and I see that maybe happening.

I think if they lose he'll be more disappointed than Cheryl because he'll really see it as his failure and shortcoming since she won it twice and I really think this whole 3-peat thing is playing into his mind a little too much and it's making him too tense, thus unable to relax more.

Also not for nothing, but I personally think that Cheryl and Ian have been underscored more than once...if the judges keep this up, the conspiracy theorists will start saying they're trying to make sure Cheryl doesn't win again. That's the other thing I think is playing into Cheryl's demeanor this season...she probably thinks she's underscored too but won't say it, realizing that the quickest way to alienate viewers and fans is to seem like a whiner, like the judges are so unfair to you...especially considering she's won twice already. People really wouldn't take too well to her complaining about anything.

It was nice to see her and Drew again and really I don't think people should compare her dancing with him to her and Ian because personally I don't think Drew and Cheryl's chemistry and partnership has been matched by any other pairing on DWTS, even her and Emmitt, even if they won too. There was just something magical and beautiful about those two and it was there from the first episode of S2.

I don't know if it's her not feeling comfortable around him or simply a combination of a new boyfriend, working a lot, and simply just not having the same flirty behavioiur as with Drew or even Emmitt. I saw her on a show and she was talking about how she's always been a fan of Ian's and how she's religiously watch BH90210.

FORT Fogey

I think we got some insight last night into the lack of chemistry between these two. Cheryl (rightfully so) sees herself as the expert, teacher, and choreographer. Ian, rather than seeing himself as the student and follower, sees himself as an equal teammate. I personally side with Cheryl here. But who knows - maybe those prom scenes from 90210 were more choreographed than I realized, and maybe Ian's dancing knowledge is far more extensive then I'd ever realized!

I actually found her quite unappealing yesterday. I always liked Cheryl, but she's coming accross as the type of girl who pouts when she's contradicted. Ian was just trying to explain that he didn't understand the move. It happens. He wasn't comfortable doing it. Even as she left, he said it wasn't a criticism towards her, he was just trying to get it. That little storming out scene was pretty similar to Katrina's crying jag.

ETA: To respond to Veruka's post, it's not because you are the expert, teacher, and choreographer that your routine can't be questionned and in fact, I have often seen the stars train for a move that doesn't make it in the final cut, probably because they weren't comfortable with it or good at it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2334739;

ETA: To respond to Veruka's post, it's not because you are the expert, teacher, and choreographer that your routine can't be questionned and in fact, I have often seen the stars train for a move that doesn't make it in the final cut, probably because they weren't comfortable with it or good at it.
    I agree, and I'm not promoting the idea that Cheryl should be a dictator and Ian the blind follower. But based on the personalities of her partners that we see on TV, I can see it as likely that Emmit and Drew would have both been more likely to go along with her, viewing her as the expert more than the two of them as equal players. From what we saw of Ian last night (and of the impression I have of his personality) it seems like Ian views them more as equals. If she's had two partners that were the opposite of that, I can understand why it'd be hard for her to adjust to such a different attitude from Ian.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-07-2007, 01:24 AM