+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DWtS Season Three Fashion Hits and Misses

DWtS Season Three Fashion Hits and Misses

Well, the season is over, so time to dis on the dresses.

What were your favorite fashion statements or faux pas this season? And don't forget the men's costumes, also.

The biggest thing I noted was Edyta's tarp-dresses. What was she thinking?! Sometimes I was so distracted by those dresses that I forgot to watch the dancing. And Edyta? No more orange tans, ok? And I'd love to see her visit a makeup consultant who could show her a better way to makeup her eyes, to open them up a bit and make the nose look less hawkish. She's a pretty lady, but with the right makeup application, could look so much better.

And Karina's Dancing with the Sluts line of clothing (ty for the phrase, lambi) just made me shake my head sometimes. Especially the hot pink negligee-type thing. Her blonde-Marilyn wig was rather a good touch for that number she wore it during, but wouldn't be a good look otherwise. Didn't care so much for the short brunette wig on the Halloween episode. She needs to get a good hair stylist to style her real hair, it's really stringy and lifeless. A good cut that framed her face better would do a lot for her.

Speaking of a good hair style.... On the whole, I'd say I liked Cheryl's dresses most. They tended to be elegant but sexy, and didn't distract from the dancing going on. I liked her new hair style this year, and I really liked the way she incorporated even that hair style into her dancing. I liked the hair extensions she wore on one dance with Emmitt.

Monique. Oh, Monique. I'm sorry, but the designers did her no justice, imho. Almost every show I was distracted by her costumes, and by how her shoes did not go with the rest of the costume. Some of them were just downright ugly, imho, and not flattering to her in the least. And they seemed to want to fringe her up everwhere, I mean, she MUST have a figure under those fringes somewhere, no? And next season, wardrobe to please make extra effort to keep fringes from where they'll get mixed up with shoes and heels.

Sarah Evans' costumes. Well....

Tucker Carlson. Ok, who allowed him to walk out on stage looking like that? Were those just a pair of khakis he had tossed into his suitcase at the last minute and didn't even bother ironing them? Please, dude. Have a sense of the event.

Willa Ford. Willa Willa Willa. The '50's called, A & W needs their car hop uniform back. Now.

Vivica Fox. Well, although not my cup of tea really, I did understand the theme she was going for. Well, except for once. The paso doble gown was just horrible on her. It WOULD have been okay if the music they danced to was different, but it was a modern beat and song, not suited to her dress.

Samantha Harris. Girl, get a fashion consultant. Just go get one. Now.

Judges: Carrie Ann and Len dressed appropriately. But Bruno really needs to get an updated wardrobe. His wearing the same color shirt/tie/suit each week gets old. Go buy a blue shirt, or a red one, or .. or, something. Stop dressing like an undertaker.

I wasn't real thrilled with those armbands and cut off shirts Emmitt seemed to favor in at least two shows. Sure, it showed off those muscular arms, but moderation, please. And I hate to say it, but the green shoes to match the green shirt was just a bit too overboard. The gold shoes were too, but they at least seemed in place for the song they were dancing to.

Ashley DelGrosso's hair is always really cute, but I think she should consider updating her look. Ashley is a really pretty woman, but her hair still gives her more of a girlish quality, rather than that of a pretty, sexy, woman. Would love to see her come back next season with a different cut.

Many other comments come to mind, good and bad, but would like to share what the rest of you thought about this season's fashions too.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I pretty much agree with everything you said, Nemeses, and couldn't say it better.

Edyta's dresses really bothered me. She had, in my opinion, the best physique among the female professional dancers, if not all of the women. She could have maximised this advantage by leaving the design up to the professional designers. They surely would've emphasized her slim, very leggy physique and given her creations which would have added to the sweep and line of the dance.

Yet she managed to make her appearance a negative with those strange, baggy, matronly horrors. Her costumes were actually distracting and hid the line of her posture and even of those leg extensions she was so fond of. It's a visual 'sport' so why not emphasize this (the visuals) as much as possible.

I had to rant about that a bit, as it really bugged me. They may have even finished in the final 2 if their (Joey's were silly sometimes too) costumes were better.

For the most part the cast should all stay away from shiny fabrics. Just does no one justice, tends to pucker at the seams, and looks cheap under the lights.

Only thing I disagreed a bit about was Sam. At the beginning, the gowns she wore cut her across her armpits, accentuating what are already some muscular shoulders. They changed that up about halfway through, though, and I saw some improvement. (Thinner, more delicate straps; side-sweeping straps; more interest at the bodice; hair combed over one shoulder; etc. Those things minimised this somewhat distracting 'flaw'.) She should probably talk to her trainer about laying off the shoulder exercises a while though. Even my husband commented on her shoulders! I won't repeat what he said though.

And, yes, some of the cast got a bit carried away with the Mystic Tan! They began to resemble Oompa Loompas.
    Last edited by Brandy; 11-20-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Wow....you'e memory is much better than mine....I don't even remember a couple of those dancers, let along what they wore!

Guess I'm a slut, 'cause for the most part (except for that gawd awful pink number), I liked Karina's costumes. I will agree, her hair is definitely in need of a good cut and a break from coloring....it looks very fragile. The wigs (with the except of the MM number) were distracting to me.....

I didn't mind Edyta's billowing sail type dresses....somehow they seemed to suit her. The tan was too much though, and I like her hair color at the end of the season much better than the beginning.....it gave her a softer look.

I don't remember a single thing Willa or Sara wore....that alone says something.

Sweet Sara was just a waste of screen time for me.....she couldn't dance her way out of a paper sack....neither could Springer, but at least he entertained me!

Tucker....no comment necessary

Emmitt.....Okay until he wore basically the same outfit for the last 4 dances....sleeveless shirt, armbands, and tacky colored shoes....once was great, 4 times was not.

Vivica.....I loved her Paso dress and thought she looked stunning....I also thought she danced horribly and that the music was possibly the WORST choice ever made for the Paso Doble. As a whole, I couldn't warm up to this lady.

Monique.....I loved Monique, but wasn't fond of most of her costum choices....she is not a heavy girl, but she has think legs that are not that shapely.....I think the designers could have come up with much better choices for her, but for some reason, they just didn't.......Her costumes on Halloween Night were horrific!

Cheryl is great all around....dancing, teaching, costuming (unless she had a hand in Emmit's junk), choreographing, etc. Though I like her hair this season, I also like it last season.....she is just a cute girl!

Ashley looks matronly to me......a makeover would definetly improve her overall image. I like her dancing, but like Monique, she has thicker legs and needs to be conscious of that when designing her costumes.

CariAnn is lovely to look at and I usually agree with her opinion, but I got sick of her drooling over Emmitt....look, I LIKE Emmitt, but he is not a handsome or sexy man...jeepers! If I'd been Emmitt's wife, I'd probably been a bit annoyed.......

Len can go back to England for all I care, but I like Bruno.....he adds some melodrama to the critiques.

Okay....thats enough for this post...I need some shuteye!

Article about DWTS Season 3 fashion.

It's mostly about Emmitt but goes into everything overall, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2148891;
    Monique.....I loved Monique, but wasn't fond of most of her costum choices....she is not a heavy girl, but she has think legs that are not that shapely.....I think the designers could have come up with much better choices for her, but for some reason, they just didn't.......Her costumes on Halloween Night were horrific!
    I agree, Monique's halloween costume was indeed a nightmare on her. And what makes me so sad for Monique is that the Halloween episode was the one where she was eliminated, and that was the last costume/makeup she was seen in while a contestant on the show. The lingering view of her that most people will remember is her in that ugly lime green hot pants mess with the mismatched matte red shoes, and the horrific black lipstick and globules of radioactive eye makeup. Although I was never a fan of Monique (I feel she was an average performer, although much improved each episode, but her pro dance partner didn't play up her strengths or do a generally good job on the choreography that suited her), I still wouldn't wish that on any woman.. to go out looking like that.

And Brandy, nice article about the fashions of Dancing With the Stars, very interesting read. Thanks for posting that!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Yeer welcome.

And yes, that eye makeup especially, was horrible on Monique for her last performance. I was happy for her, that they didn't make her wear that outfit again on the Grand Finale. Everyone else wore their final dance costume, I think.

I agree with most of what has been said already. I'll just add that Karina looks much prettier without all the makeup she wears when performing. It definitely detracts from her looks.

Next season I'd like to see less spray on tans, less of whatever it was that the ladies kept getting their shoes caught in, and less satin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kresge;2148891;
    CariAnn is lovely to look at and I usually agree with her opinion, but I got sick of her drooling over Emmitt....look, I LIKE Emmitt, but he is not a handsome or sexy man...jeepers! If I'd been Emmitt's wife, I'd probably been a bit annoyed.......
    I actually agree with Carrie Ann - Emmitt is a very sexy man.

FORT Fogey
    All of Edyta's flowy dresses (and her hair). She's so beautiful yet has a matronly fashion sense.

Snoozin' on the beach
    When I saw some of the costumes each week it was "yikes" but I barely remember them now. Some of them were so horrible they looked like they came out of a drag queens trash can.

I don't understand the purpose of the really hideous over the top outfits

Although I think Edyta is the hottest woman on the show, too many of her outfits did not show off her beautiful figure.
    Samantha Harris is pretty, and appears to be quite slim and toned. Pretty much every dress she wears is low cut, and she does not have the body to pull that look off. I would have liked to see her in some short skirts to show off her legs a bit. Everything she wore was sleeveless also. She does have some nice toned arms, but as an attractive woman in an expensive gown, your arms should not necessarily be your feature that is most highly complimented.
    Sara Evans should have worked off her gut a little before the show started filming.
    Monique looked absolutely hideous in that black lipstick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast