+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dancing With The Stars: In The Media

Dancing With The Stars: In The Media

There have been a lot of media stories, especially recently, about Dancing With The Stars.

Have you seen a story on Tv, saw the cast make an appearance on another Tv show, or have you read something in a magazine or newspaper, about DWTS? Feel free to talk about it here.

Please limit it to print and Tv media, not other websites. Thanks!!

DWtS on Larry King Live tonight

Did anyone else catch tonight's Larry King Live? The show was a 'tribute' to Dancing With the Stars, and from the show they had Tom Bergeron, Carrie Ann Inaba, Emmitt & Cheryl, and Mario and Karina live. I didn't see the first half of it, as I'm not a regular Larry King watcher. But while channel surfing on the half hour, I ran across it.

For the half hour I saw, it was very interesting. Some observations:

Cheryl seemed like such a sweetheart, very down to earth, no ego at all, seemed very appreciative of the opportunities the show has given her, and very appreciative of the abilities of her partners. She also came off as very poised and collected, not the least intimidated by Larry King or the interview format of the show. Poor gal, in one part of the show, she gave Larry King a brief lesson in how to cha-cha-cha, and her and Larry did a short session of that. (Larry, don't quit your day job)

Emmitt was the same on this show as every other time I've seen him: very charming, personable, and very intelligent. Both he and Cheryl noted that one of the things that they share and that makes them a winning team is that they both have strong work ethic, that they both hit the work as soon as they step into the studio. If they're there 8 hours solid, they work 8 hours solid, their work ethic is so strong. He noted that they have a lot in common, and he liked her desire to succeed that comes from within, which he says they also share. Both Emmitt and Cheryl showed strong respect for each other, as well as an easy going comraderie between them.

Mario was actually more relaxed than I've seen him in interviews since the season began. He laughed several times, was charming and relaxed. He and Karina stated that the bond they shared as partners was that they are both hyper and tend to do things passionately. Mario also said they share the wild sense of humor between them.

Karina .. meh. Nothing much going on there. Not much personality, no charm. She seemed out of her element, to be honest. She didn't have as much to say as Cheryl, Emmitt, or Mario, which is probably just as well, as she didn't seem comfortable on camera.

Emmitt, Cheryl, Mario, and Karina all agreed that chemistry was an important element for being a good dancing couple.

Carrie Ann was Carrie Ann. She explained a bit more about her process in the judging, how when she gives her comments after the dancer, she tries to give each couple something specific to work on or keep doing. When asked about Mario and Emmitt and what she thinks of their dance skill, she basically gave the same answers as the fluff piece on the results show a couple of weeks ago.

Tom Bergeron was personable and likeable as ever. He said that one of the things he most enjoys about the show was how dynamic it was during the live broadcast. That is, he's very aware of everything that's going on as it happens, how much there is to listen to. For instance, during Samantha's backstage interviews, he listens closely to what's being said (in case there's anything I can rip off) and stays focused on what the judges are saying so he can keep a rein in if needed because sometimes Len and Bruno can get a bit cranky. He said that last season when he and Ashley Del Grosso performed the quickstep, he did that because he wanted to know in his own head what the celeb dancers go through to put together a routine, what it's like, etc. He obviously gets a great deal of enjoyment from the show, by his responses and statements.

A few other interesting tidbits... Len and Bruno weren't there because each week those two also fly and forth to England to do their duties on the British version of the show. So they do the USA DWtS as well as the British version each week. Tom says he's surprised they aren't more cranky than they are sometimes

The professional dancers (Cheryl, Karina, Max, et al) are paid weekly, for as long as they're on the show. Once they're eliminated, the paychecks stop unless they appear in another segment without their celeb partners.

There is a dress code for the audience for the shows. ABC wants the show to be a dress-up event right down to the audience members. That's why you never see anyone in the audience wearing jeans or t-shirts, etc.

It was in interesting show, and I'm going to try to catch the whole thing when they replay it again, whenever that will be. I wish I had caught the first half hour.

______________________________ ______________________

Edited to add: Just to add to who appeared on this show, in the first half hour that I didn't catch: Also appearing in Larry King Live's tribute to DWtS in the first half hour of the show were Joey Lawrence, Monique Coleman, and Jerry Springer. Mario and Karina, thought they were live on the show, were being taped from West Hollywood, FL, which Larry said was only about a mile and a half from where the show was being aired live, but Mario and Karina claimed to be working too hard to come that short distance and appear in person.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 11-11-2006 at 05:30 AM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2137208;
    Did anyone else catch tonight's Larry King Live? The show was a 'tribute' to Dancing With the Stars, and from the show they had Tom Bergeron, Carrie Ann Inaba, Emmitt & Cheryl, and Mario and Karina live. I didn't see the first half of it, as I'm not a regular Larry King watcher. But while channel surfing on the half hour, I ran across it.

For the half hour I saw, it was very interesting. Some observations:

Cheryl seemed like such a sweetheart, very down to earth, no ego at all, seemed very appreciative of the opportunities the show has given her, and very appreciative of the abilities of her partners. She also came off as very poised and collected, not the least intimidated by Larry King or the interview format of the show. Poor gal, in one part of the show, she gave Larry King a brief lesson in how to cha-cha-cha, and her and Larry did a short session of that. (Larry, don't quit your day job)

Emmitt was the same on this show as every other time I've seen him: very charming, personable, and very intelligent. Both he and Cheryl noted that one of the things that they share and that makes them a winning team is that they both have strong work ethic, that they both hit the work as soon as they step into the studio. If they're there 8 hours solid, they work 8 hours solid, their work ethic is so strong. He noted that they have a lot in common, and he liked her desire to succeed that comes from within, which he says they also share. Both Emmitt and Cheryl showed strong respect for each other, as well as an easy going comraderie between them.

Mario was actually more relaxed than I've seen him in interviews since the season began. He laughed several times, was charming and relaxed. He and Karina stated that the bond they shared as partners was that they are both hyper and tend to do things passionately. Mario also said they share the wild sense of humor between them.

Karina .. meh. Nothing much going on there. Not much personality, no charm. She seemed out of her element, to be honest. She didn't have as much to say as Cheryl, Emmitt, or Mario, which is probably just as well, as she didn't seem comfortable on camera.

Emmitt, Cheryl, Mario, and Karina all agreed that chemistry was an important element for being a good dancing couple.

Carrie Ann was Carrie Ann. She explained a bit more about her process in the judging, how when she gives her comments after the dancer, she tries to give each couple something specific to work on or keep doing. When asked about Mario and Emmitt and what she thinks of their dance skill, she basically gave the same answers as the fluff piece on the results show a couple of weeks ago.

Tom Bergeron was personable and likeable as ever. He said that one of the things he most enjoys about the show was how dynamic it was during the live broadcast. That is, he's very aware of everything that's going on as it happens, how much there is to listen to. For instance, during Samantha's backstage interviews, he listens closely to what's being said (in case there's anything I can rip off) and stays focused on what the judges are saying so he can keep a rein in if needed because sometimes Len and Bruno can get a bit cranky. He said that last season when he and Ashley Del Grosso performed the quickstep, he did that because he wanted to know in his own head what the celeb dancers go through to put together a routine, what it's like, etc. He obviously gets a great deal of enjoyment from the show, by his responses and statements.

A few other interesting tidbits... Len and Bruno weren't there because each week those two also fly and forth to England to do their duties on the British version of the show. So they do the USA DWtS as well as the British version each week. Tom says he's surprised they aren't more cranky than they are sometimes

The professional dancers (Cheryl, Karina, Max, et al) are paid weekly, for as long as they're on the show. Once they're eliminated, the paychecks stop unless they appear in another segment without their celeb partners.

There is a dress code for the audience for the shows. ABC wants the show to be a dress-up event right down to the audience members. That's why you never see anyone in the audience wearing jeans or t-shirts, etc.

It was in interesting show, and I'm going to try to catch the whole thing when they replay it again, whenever that will be. I wish I had caught the first half hour.

______________________________ ______________________

Edited to add: Just to add to who appeared on this show, in the first half hour that I didn't catch: Also appearing in Larry King Live's tribute to DWtS in the first half hour of the show were Joey Lawrence, Monique Coleman, and Jerry Springer. Mario and Karina, thought they were live on the show, were being taped from West Hollywood, FL, which Larry said was only about a mile and a half from where the show was being aired live, but Mario and Karina claimed to be working too hard to come that short distance and appear in person.
    I missed the first 20 minutes of the show. Larry said it will repeat on Sunday.

One thing I noticed is that Mario seemed more comfortable and charming during the interview. He did not give off that arrogant vibe that some people have said they sense with him.

I'm going to try to catch the beginning of the show on Sunday.

I think Mario and Emmit are both deserving winners. I can't wait to see what Cheryl choreographs for the finale. I remember last year her cowboy dance blew everyone away.....

Yeah.......Cheryl did a great job sealing the win last year!

I have a question for those more dedicated.......

My mother says she saw Mario, his mother, and Karina on tv handing an "engagement " party invitation to the interviewer.......she claims the words came out of Mario's mouth and that his mother said they were a wonderful couple....

On Larry King, they claim to not even be dating.....

Does anyone know the real scoop???

Some reporter said "they said they were not an item, but you coulda fooled me".

On last week's show, Karina called Mario "honey". It was during the interview segment backstage with Samantha. Mario's face went from shocked to embarrassed, to angry, to holding in the anger, to trying to pretend nothing happened. It was priceless.

I have no idea of course, but just from that and body language and various other things/rumors, I'd say yes, they are, but he's not ready yet to confirm that. And I'd also say Karina just might give him a run for his money. Lol. He may have met his match.

On Larry King, by the way, they had Monica, Joey, Emmitt, and Mario was on remote camera somewhere. Joey was talking a mile a minute, a bit hyper. He said he began the show just to be able to dance well enough to dance with his wife and is looking forward to doing that, now. Mario and Emmitt will both do a Samba next week and both a freestyle dance. Mario will add a Paso Doble and Emmitt will add as his third dance, a Mambo.

Jerry was also interviewed, from Chicago and was funny as usual. (One joke he made: He said the producers told him not to do any splits or lifts. He said as if, and that the only splits he did all season were in his pants, when he bent over too far.

Yeah......I caught the "honey" remark at the time, but I didn't notice Mario being bothered by it. Also, on a couple of their clips they were holding hands, he kissed her during one of the rehearsals, and another time it appeared he was leaning over her and kissing her by a pool.......thats whats confusing. I don't know why they would deny anything personal, unless its part of their contract.....

Max and Willa never CONFIRMED they were dating either when they were still competing, so maybe they're simply not allowed to say.....who knows???

And, yes, I agree......I think Karina is MORE than his match.....They won't last long though, two hot tempers never do...........

FORT Fogey
    I think Mario and Karina may not be dating but are intentionally leading the public on to boost publicity. True or not true, we are all talking about them....

According to the TV Guide, Max and Willa are now admitting they are a couple. And, while Mario and Karina are not admitting it, Max said they were and that it was obvious to him.

I thought this was an interesting article about DWtS 3, even if it didn't contain a lot of new info:

Dancing With the Stars Sambas To Hot Ratings
    'Dancing With the Stars' sambas to hot ratings
    November 14, 2006

With sexy moves, real-life sparks and soaring viewership, ABC’s dance contest has been a prime-time story all to itself.
    By Maria Elena Fernandez, Times Staff Writer

In a fall season of highfalutin serialized dramas, the most compelling soap opera on television has played out on the "Dancing With the Stars" ballroom floor.

Love — or its lusty cousin — has blossomed between partners Mario Lopez and Karina Smirnoff, partners Willa Ford and Maksim Chmerkovskiy, and an unidentified coupling co-host Samantha Harris will only allude to and giggle about.

Beauty queen Shanna Moakler got into a bar fight with Paris Hilton, of all people. Country singer Sara Evans had to quit because of trouble in her marriage. Daredevil Monique Coleman had a wardrobe malfunction (her bottom went whoops!) that etched itself as a season highlight for the ever-proper British judge Len Goodman. Teen heartthrobs Lopez and Joey Lawrence got verbal spankings for their breaking-all-the-rules ways. Tucker Carlson dazzled with his skillful chair-sitting routine. Jerry Springer — Jerry Springer! — got choked up when he was voted off the competition not because he wanted to stay but because he was overwhelmed by the kindness he had been shown during his seven-week stint.

And if that weren't enough, NFL legend Emmitt Smith can shimmy, shake and even waltz, earning him the nickname "Twinkle Toes." Tonight's finale at 8, which pits him against Lopez, nicknamed "Super Mario" for his flawless, passionate weekly renditions, promises to be the most intense competition this show has seen. The winner is picked by combining the judges' scores with viewers' phoned and e-mailed votes and will be announced Wednesday night.

"It's been so eventful that we haven't been able to keep up with it," executive producer Conrad Green said. "To be honest, we just read Us Weekly every week to find out what's going on on our own production. It's been really quite dramatic. And the best part of it is that this year the outcome is unpredictable."

What Green and ABC prefer to keep up with are the show's soaring ratings. With an average of 20 million viewers, "Dancing With the Stars" is the No. 1 reality series and the fourth most-watched show. In its third season, "Dancing" grew 8% in total viewers and 10% in the desirable 18-to-49-year-old demographic and ranks No. 9 among 18- to 49-year-olds who earn more than $100,000. The live television variety throwback also has grown into one of television's rare family hours, ranking third with children younger than 11 and 17th among teens, and it is a top 10 show among women in all of the key demographics.

"Our audience skews female, so maybe the boys have more of a chance," Green said, referring to last week's semifinal round in which, for the first time, three men — Lopez, Lawrence and Smith — were vying for tonight's finale spots. "They're good-looking, muscly boys with almost no clothes on. They stay in the competition longer."

Lopez, 33, Lawrence, 30, and Smith, 37, have surely delivered the goods. After scoring a three-way tie with the judges, Lawrence was voted off by viewers last week, leaving Lopez and Smith to duke it out. Both men will perform sambas and freestyle routines and, for the first time, a third number: Smith will dance a mambo while Lopez will do a pasodoble.

"It feels like a prizefight," said ABC President of Prime Time Entertainment Steve McPherson. "You have this model against the heavyweight champ in Emmitt Smith and, you know, it's really a neat thing to see." McPherson has personal experience. He learned to cha-cha over eight weeks with Edyta Sliwinska (Lawrence's partner) last spring to perform at the network's annual presentation to advertisers in New York.

"It's really a clash of the titans because each one of them has such strength individually," judge Bruno Tonioli said. "They've given such great performances that it makes our job very, very difficult because it's now going into the realm of whether I prefer blue or green. It doesn't mean green is a better color than blue."

Judge Carrie Ann Inaba agreed that it's all going to come down to individual taste tonight.

"They're very different characters because you've got Mario, who from Day One blew us away," she said. "Nobody expected that level of quality in his dancing. Then Emmitt coming out and not being the typical dancer, not becoming a ballroom dancer necessarily, but tapping into some other sort of natural grace that he's got."

No matter who goes home with the trophy, which host Tom Bergeron half-jokingly describes as "a little mirrored ball on a plastic stand with the show title Scotch-taped on it," the big winner this season seems to be the art of male ballroom dancing itself. Who could ever call this a girlie sport again after watching Smith's commanding yet elegant waltz and Lopez's potent tango?

"In England, a lot of the young boys play soccer and they always thought that dancing was a bit nansy-pansy, but when you boil it all down, you play soccer, you score a goal, and they all kiss each other," said Goodman. "

Proving that tough guys can dance was a priority for the three semifinalists. Lopez, who signed up for the show to please his mother, refused to wear rhinestones and sequins; his hyper-sexual chemistry with Smirnoff took care of the rest. In the beginning, Lawrence found some of the moves — pointing his toe or raising his pinkie — were tough to get right, or feel at ease with.

"You gotta get in touch with a whole different part of you," Lawrence said. "But when you embrace it, it actually feels very masculine to do that because it is very traditional in the sense that the man leads and does take control of the woman."

Three-time Super Bowl winner Smith said it was all about "letting go."

"You have to be comfortable within yourself and understand that for some of the dances, you have to learn different techniques. You have to let loose and let go and be comfortable letting go."

A happily married father of two, Smith joked about the "love fests" that had emerged and said he did not blame the attractive singletons around him. Co-host Harris agreed.

"You put two gorgeous, sexy, passionate people in a room together, locked up for hours a day, body to body, learning these dances," she said, "it's just human nature to fall for each other or have a tryst of some sort. And you know what? Enjoy."

In a way, only the producers are to blame for the love connections. Celebrities do not audition. They are interviewed and selected based on their personalities and the level of dancing skill producers perceive them to have. Complementary personalities are a factor when they match them with the dancing professionals, but more important are the aesthetics

"A lot of it is height; they need to look good together," co-executive producer Izzie Pick said. "You're matching for cohesion and for it to work as a partnership. It's like matchmaking."

Smith is the first to admit he "got real lucky" when he was paired with last year's champion, Cheryl Burke, 22, a top dancer and skillful choreographer.

Smirnoff, 28, is new to the competition this year. Though she and Lopez are reluctant to call themselves a couple, she spends a lot of time cooing "baby" to him off camera, and they are planning to "hibernate" for a week when the show is over "to catch up on sleep."

Springer, whom Bergeron referred to as "the heart and soul of the show," still wishes his partner, Kym Johnson, whom he grew to care for as a daughter, had been assigned a more talented partner.

"I was getting concerned that I was replacing far better dancers," Springer said. "But I was sad to leave because everyone was being incredibly nice to me. In 30 years on television, this is the first time I got to play myself and everyone was so nice. I wish everybody could have a few moments in life like that."

But even if Lopez and Smith do, only one will go home with the disco ball.

"One of the things I hope we never change is that in the context of this show there's something charming to me that all they're doing — all the hours, all of the bunions, all of the heartache, the exhaustion — is for bragging rights and the goofiest-looking trophy you're ever going to see," Bergeron said.

Maria.Elena.Fernandez@latimes. com
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2139122;
    Some reporter said "they said they were not an item, but you coulda fooled me".

On last week's show, Karina called Mario "honey". It was during the interview segment backstage with Samantha. Mario's face went from shocked to embarrassed, to angry, to holding in the anger, to trying to pretend nothing happened. It was priceless.

I have no idea of course, but just from that and body language and various other things/rumors, I'd say yes, they are, but he's not ready yet to confirm that. And I'd also say Karina just might give him a run for his money. Lol. He may have met his match.

On Larry King, by the way, they had Monica, Joey, Emmitt, and Mario was on remote camera somewhere. Joey was talking a mile a minute, a bit hyper. He said he began the show just to be able to dance well enough to dance with his wife and is looking forward to doing that, now. Mario and Emmitt will both do a Samba next week and both a freestyle dance. Mario will add a Paso Doble and Emmitt will add as his third dance, a Mambo.

Jerry was also interviewed, from Chicago and was funny as usual. (One joke he made: He said the producers told him not to do any splits or lifts. He said as if, and that the only splits he did all season were in his pants, when he bent over too far.
    Also Katrina stated that she was a bit perturbed by the editing showing Marioand her constantly embracing and kissing but it was just so obvious they were a couple. Don't think the relationship will last very long after the show, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast