+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 9/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Oh my, I was disappointed.

I had forgotten how gawd-awful the music choices are. Clearly, they don't want to spend one nickle more than they have to to get music rights, probably because of how gawd-awful that band is. Shiver!!!

What disappointed me most was the lack of unexpectedly good performances. I expected Joey, Mario and Emmett to be able to move. I was hoping that Harry had learned a trick or two at home or that Tucker Carlson had some hidden skills. Nothing. The women were meh to me, although Willa shows signs of promise.

Well, at least they are making my TiVo selections easy this year. ANTM wins on Wednesdays. I'll count on you guys for the skinny on the results show.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    UGH Mario!

With that phoney baloney little *shy* routine (the looking down like he's nervous and a bit embarrassed at the applause). That little "who, me?" routine was sickening.
    "Oh, my mom taught me some moves when I was little"... (getting the wierd mom-fetish in there) I think we're supposed to think he's such a nice guy. His personna was faker than a $3.00 bill.

Plus, it's being mentioned on other sites that he's had extensive dance experience in his past.

And Shanna Moakler - she really concerned about showing the country that she's more than just a reality tv star. Has anyone ever seen her show? Or heard of her?
    Or Willa Ford?

Where do they find these "stars"?

Her show is Meet the Barkers. It's from MTV. It showed her and soon to be ex-husband Travis Barker's family life. They wanted them to be the next Osbournes, but they just didn't take off. And a la Nick and Jessica, they're dunzo. She was also a Miss USA before that.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Fogey
    I voted for Tucker because, at this point, I want some entertainment and he looks like he could provide it. He was having so much fun and I think he may actually improve with some of the other dances. I just hope he stands a chance of staying because it would really stink if my favorite got ousted first two seasons in a row.

I think Tucker might be safe. There are so many unknown "stars" this year, that anyone outside of the top 3 is vulnerable. The scoring system (judges rank + phone in rank) makes it easy for the phone voters to keep someone, even if they're in the bottom 3.

My guess is that Shanna or Harry might be in the most trouble.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Joey—I thought this was good, I liked how they had a good, energetic Cha Cha for the first performance of the new season, not an energy-vacuum like the Fox Trot. I thought that the judges didn’t rate it high enough, because they only had small criticisms, so I thought, okay, they’re ranking honestly (read: low) this season/tonight? Not necessarily the case, as we’ll see later, so I stick with my original thought that they should have ranked it a bit higher.

Sara—For a few moments I thought (even though the sound was playing) that TIVO was doing that “paused play” thing were it moves excruciatingly slow, but, alas, that was the dance. Her movements seemed graceful, but that’s about the only nice thing I could say. 15 points seemed like a fair score.

Tucker—What the heck was that???? Ladies and gentlemen, we have this season’s Kenny Mayne. Hopefully, he too will be ousted the first round. I like people to be funny during the interview segments, not the dancing.

Willa—I think she made up “Bad Girl of Pop” herself, I don’t think even the worst publicist would say something so ridiculous. It may have been my TV, but did she have clown blusher on? The dance was okay… though I cannot imagine why the judges didn’t mention the fact that she had no “arm extensions” when they were all over that with other contestants (all seasons)? Maybe elbows down and arms out is an acceptable variation?

Mario—First off, I’m not all that ashamed to admit, that I had a huge crush on him back in the day. He still looks cute, but I try not to carry that with me, it will have nothing to do with his dancing. But I busted out laughing as he waited for his partner and asked the camera “What if she thinks I’m a dork?”. Anyway, this was the best dance of the night (though I think Karina’s choreography skills are not up to snuff—what the heck was that bent-at-the-waist-turning thing in the opening pass?), not only did he move well and sell the dance, but he was a great partner, which is very important, but overlooked by the judges in these first few rounds. I think we may have one of our top two, if not the winner.

Monique—Did she dance in High School Musical (I’m going to see it soon, honest, I really want to, just haven’t found the time)? I won’t know whether I think she’s a ringer based on my own knowledge, so I’ll ask my kind FORTies. But, all said, it was a good dance, if a little creepy when there was a moment when Louie kind of rubbed her hips. The creepiness was on in full effect when Bruno said he wants to see romance and chemistry. We’re not going to get chemistry out of these folks, and we don’t want it, so, the best we could hope for is that they get better technically, but remain in their own “dancing space”. Please?

Emmitt— My other male sentimental celeb fave. I am a huge Emmitt Smith Fan… I always knew he had to have the moves, and when I saw him on the roster for this season of DWTS, I was psyched! This was really good, though it didn’t really match the music, and the spirit of the cha-cha (in my limited knowledge) was compromised a bit, but he was just shakin’ his thang out there!!! {clears throat} Not that that is a reason to give him a good score, but based on his male competition he’s one of three that actually DANCED. I do think the judges were a mite too generous though, I would have been happy with the 22 that would have befitted him.

Shanna—I was not impressed at all by this dance. It was all tricks, I hardly saw them Foxtrot at all, and when they did, it seemed oddly-timed with the music. (Hopefully, someone will come rescue me soon, with my limited knowledge of technical terminology, I’m starting to flounder.) And what the heck was she wearing. Ugh.

Harry—I loved how Ashly was so excited to have Harry as a partner. I think he may have had some serious jitters, hopefully that was the case. After the Monique/Louie thing I was expecting to see a bit of “creepy uncle” vibe, but there was none in evidence, hopefully it won’t sneak in later. He probably has potential, but he was SO stiff, a bit like Dorothy and the Scarecrow was what I wrote on a piece of scratch paper (heretofore known as my “notes”), but I don’t think he’s going home too soon. He’ll have time to get his hips working, because for this one, just the arms and feet were dancing.

Vivica—Now, I love her, my female sentimental favorite. But she justified my devotion. This was great!!!! She looked so elegant while also having fun and enjoying the dance. With Nick being my favorite choreographer/partner on the show, and Vivica being a good dancer, I think they are going to go really far, perhaps to the end!

Jerry—“The Notes” say: Kitschy, creepy (especially that leg-worshipping maneuver), and what was that music choice? Hey, Daddy? Eww! But he’ll stick around for a bit because of his fan base. I don’t mind if he stays for two weeks, but after that I’m going to start getting nasty.

Vica's Rankings:
    Mario
    Vivica
    Joey
    Emmit
    Willa
    Shanna
    Harry
    Monique
    Sara
    Jerry
    Tucker
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 09-13-2006 at 10:43 AM.
    Could does not mean should

I loved Emmitt Smith and he got my votes. Joey Lawrence got several as well. I agree that Jerry is safe....too many fans. I would guess that Sara Evans or Shanna are in danger. I didn't really see the second hour...Eureka won out during that time slot.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

[QUOTE=Night Owl;2070017]UGH Mario!

With that phoney baloney little *shy* routine (the looking down like he's nervous and a bit embarrassed at the applause). That little "who, me?" routine was sickening.
    "Oh, my mom taught me some moves when I was little"... (getting the wierd mom-fetish in there) I think we're supposed to think he's such a nice guy. His personna was faker than a $3.00 bill.
    QUOTE]

THANK YOU, Night Owl. I was beginning to think I was the only one on here who thinks he's disgusting.

FORT Fogey
    [QUOTE=jensbiggestfan;2070199]
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    UGH Mario!

QUOTE]

THANK YOU, Night Owl. I was beginning to think I was the only one on here who thinks he's disgusting.
    Unfortunately, he's one of those disgusting, but oh so adorable, men. I've never been a fan of his, but if you could see those amazing dimples, sweet smile, and wonderful eyes in a wax museum, I'd be there.

I voted for Tucker and Sara last night--I got through on Tucker's line with no problem, but I had to call Sara's line 10 times for 5 votes. I would like to see Tucker get another chance, at least; I wish they got two dances before getting eliminated. I felt the same way about Kenny Mayne last year.

I have no sentimentality for Jerry Springer at all, as I hate his show. I don't care about half of the women, either, for that matter.

I checked IMDb, and yes, Mario was a performer on "Kids, Incorporated" 20 years ago as a dancer and a drummer. In addition, his bio (admittedly, entered by some random person) claims that one of his biggest wishes is to dance at Radio City Music Hall. To be fair, dancing onstage isn't the same as ballroom dancing, although it does give one an edge in the rhythm department, as well as a history in learning a routine. I'd think that Mario would have been more upfront about his history, seeing that anyone with access to the Internet can find it, but then again, he's already proven his knack for untruthfulness.

FORT Fogey
    how come Al gore wasn't picked

+ Reply to Thread