+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Brokeback" joke too raw for West Coast

"Brokeback" joke too raw for West Coast

The entertainment news show "The Insider" is reporting that the "Brokeback" sequence that most of us noted on the East coast was altered in the West Coast broadcast.

What the East saw:
    Bruno sez: "You are ready for the lead in Brokeback Mountain: The Musical!"
    Drew removed Cheryl's hat and places it over his backside.

What the East saw:
    Bruno sez: "You are ready for the lead in Brokeback Mountain: The Musical!"
    Alternate shot where all you see is a static shot of the judges while the audience gasps.

I'm actually surprised the uptight suits at Disney didn't cut the sequence entirely.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I just saw that and wondered what he did, as I am on the Westcoast.

I just noticed that our lovely recapper actually talked about this already. Well here's a place to discuss it! As well as cutting on Disney for their homophobia, squeeing at Drew, or whatever the heck else is involved with Brokeback Mountain jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol View Post
    I just saw that and wondered what he did, as I am on the Westcoast.
    Given that probably every entertainment news show tonight is going to show the original cut anyway, I wonder what the point of cutting it was anyway. Are there grandmas in Anaheim, California who's sensibilities they are trying to protect?

I'm on the West Coast, as you know, so I missed all the fun.

I agree with you, Krom; I'm surprised they even left the Brokeback joke in at all if they're going to cut something so innocuous as someone covering their bum with a hat. At least I think it was innocuous--I'll never know, because I'll never see it.

The network, I suppose, was trying to cover its ass, harhar. But who did they think would be offended by the booty gesture? Conservatives for the reference to homosexuality? Or the gay community for the implied homophobia?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    I'm on the West Coast, as you know, so I missed all the fun.

I agree with you, Krom; I'm surprised they even left the Brokeback joke in at all if they're going to cut something so innocuous as someone covering their bum with a hat. At least I think it was innocuous--I'll never know, because I'll never see it.
    Once again, Youtube.com comes to the rescue.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KXNGYMgKw...=Drew%20Lachey

It's very low quality (its from a camcorder or something), but it's definitely the East coast version. Watch it and wonder anew at how uptight Disney is!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Heck...Entertainment Tonight had the whole Brokeback brouhaha as their lead story..........puleaze...gimme a break...I don't get what the big deal is.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks, Krom! I get to see it after all!

You're so right! Disney is absurdly uptight, but what's even stranger is they pick the most arbitrary things over which to freak out. Cheryl's sitting astride Drew and "riding him" during the dance was more graphic, I think. They can leave phallic symbols all over Little Mermaid but they're going to cut a nanosecond of Drew covering is butt. Whatever.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Yes, obviously simulated sex is far more acceptable than the mere vague suggestion that a gay cowboy might be interested in Drew Lachey's butt.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Thanks, Krom! I get to see it after all!

You're so right! Disney is absurdly uptight, but what's even stranger is they pick the most arbitrary things over which to freak out. Cheryl's sitting astride Drew and "riding him" during the dance was more graphic, I think. They can leave phallic symbols all over Little Mermaid but they're going to cut a nanosecond of Drew covering is butt. Whatever.

I'm with you on that one.....but neither would bother me. It was after 9pm and good grief..we have hard worse on Will & Grace.

It apparently took them an hour to decide, because I saw it in the Mountain time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally View Post
    ..we have hard worse on Will & Grace.
    I enjoy a good Freudian slip, even if it does expose my sometimes sophomoric sense of humor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast