+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Brokeback" joke too raw for West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Their self-serving excuse is probably some assumption that gays might be offended that Drew reacted to a "Brokeback" joke with an implication that he was protecting himself from some err... let's be delicate and a bit indirect... attack from behind. That his reaction indicated some kind of display of homophobia.
    Well I thought Drew's wit and timing were hysterical, LOL!

And actually, I don't think the editing was to protect gays' sensitivities... I think it was because attack from behind, and even insinuation of it, is still pretty vulgar to some people. But I thought the way Drew did it was comical, not vulgar.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Hmm, I watched it in Arizona and saw the East Coast version with hat on tush. We must have gotten the East Coast Feed. And yes, I thought it was very funny.

If thinking people don't start putting demanding an end to censorship, we will soon be back to the days of the Salem witch trials.
    You are so right! I am virtually a card-carrying non-homophobe, and I didn't think it smacked of homophobia at all--my gay friends probably laughed their heads off.

There's a ton of simulated sex in ballroom, and they didn't seem to be bothered by any of that, or by the shots of Stacey running her hands over her body repeatedly! Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    Well I thought Drew's wit and timing were hysterical, LOL!

And actually, I don't think the editing was to protect gays' sensitivities... I think it was because attack from behind, and even insinuation of it, is still pretty vulgar to some people.
    I didn't say it was to protect gays' sensibilities, I said it was the excuse they'd use. They might even believe it too, but if they do its just further proof of their inability to believe that gays might actually be rational people and (gasp!) find it funny.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Len made a comment after the cowboy/girl dance that they didn't cross any lines (or something to that affect). I assumed he meant they were provocative but not vulgar.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by boxhill View Post
    You are so right! I am virtually a card-carrying non-homophobe, and I didn't think it smacked of homophobia at all--my gay friends probably laughed their heads off.
    A comment from the queer corner over here: I wasn't offended, I thought it was funny, and I laughed. I don't speak for everybody, but really, I think it's a case of studio execs panicking, not of anyone complaining.

I don't know anyone who was or actually would get offended by the joke at all, which is why I find the network's reaction so absurd. I think once again they've underestimated the audience's intelligence/capacity for humor.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    What the East saw:
    Bruno sez: "You are ready for the lead in Brokeback Mountain: The Musical!"
    Drew removed Cheryl's hat and places it over his backside.

What the West saw:
    Bruno sez: "You are ready for the lead in Brokeback Mountain: The Musical!"
    Alternate shot where all you see is a static shot of the judges while the audience gasps.

I'm actually surprised the uptight suits at Disney didn't cut the sequence entirely.
    Oh god. That is pathetic to cut that out. It was harmless.
    -Michael

Threshold RPG - Our World, Your Imagination

http://www.thresholdrpg.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123