+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Louis Van Amstel - Professional Dancer

Good. I still didn't like him and I'm glad he's off this show.

I feel like Trista drew the short straw, just as I said earlier. I don't care if he has qualifications running our his ears. He knew when he went into the contest that his partner was going to be an amateur. It was his job to teach her, or so I thought. If she needed to act like a sex object or whatever, then I'm glad that she went home. That doesn't seem to be required of the other contestants so more power to them and their professional partners.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I feel like Trista drew the short straw, just as I said earlier. I don't care if he has qualifications running our his ears. He knew when he went into the contest that his partner was going to be an amateur. It was his job to teach her, or so I thought. If she needed to act like a sex object or whatever, then I'm glad that she went home. That doesn't seem to be required of the other contestants so more power to them and their professional partners.
    I've gotta disagree--it was clear that in the rhumba ALL the women had to act like sex objects. Rachel and Kelly succeeded, but it just wasn't Trista's thing. (Too bad, because she is definitely a better dancer than Kelly, albeit not as proficient at striking hot poses.)

I thought that Van Amstel's defense of Trista--when the judges were saying she displayed no passion or seductiveness or whatever, he said, "May I say, I felt it"--was very gallant.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar

New Season 2 Profile

From abc.com

ACHIEVEMENTS:
    United States Professional Latin American champion (2000)
    7 Time Dutch National Amateur Champion
    European Amateur Latin Champion ('95)
    World Amateur Latin Champion ('94, '95)
    Grand Slam Latin Champion ('95)
    World Professional Showdance Champion ('96)
    Professional World Latin Finalist ('96)

STATS:
    Style: Latin
    Nationality: Dutch
    Based in: Utah
    Status: Retired from competing, but regularly appears in exhibition performances. Has produced dance shows on Broadway (Latin Fusion) and in Salt Lake City (Latin Revolution).

CELEBRITY PARTNER: Lisa Rinna

SEASON 1:
    Louis was paired with Trista Sutter on Season 1. They were the first couple to be knocked out of the competition.

BACKGROUND:
    Louis first began his dance career at an early age, training in a theater school to gain a solid background in ballet, tap, and jazz. Upon graduating, Louis attended the University of the Arts in Amsterdam to further strengthen his skills in the classical dances and theory.

Unlike many dancers, Louis has a strong psychological approach to teaching. He trains under legendary dance guru Dr. Ruud Vermeij who has a holistic approach towards dancing. Louis is also a student of Laban choreology and is well versed in human movement dynamics.

DANCING:
    Upon immigrating to the United States, Louis quickly became the U.S. National Latin Champion in 2000 and founded the company VanDance, LLC. Through VanDance Louis directed, choreographed and performed in Latin Fusion, a feature production on Broadway at City Center in New York City.

Is it just me or did the ego get left behind in season 1? He really is a great dancer and I hope he stays longer this season.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by drkim View Post
    Is it just me or did the ego get left behind in season 1? He really is a great dancer and I hope he stays longer this season.
    That was what I said tonight while watching him!! Last year he was so cocky that you couldn't really like him. This year its as different as night and day. Maybe watching himself last year made him realize how he was coming across to the public (plus I love his new haircut!!!!!) I think him and Lisa look really great together!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Newbie
    I think Louis is a great dancer. I have looked up to him for so many years and watching him dance inspires me to not give up dancing. (Though I probably should.) so I get kinda upset when you guys dis him.

Louis is the oldest of the male dancers at about 33 and the most experienced according to his bio. He is also quite short at 5'7". Sometimes, short men compensate by being cocky, but he has a reason to be confident about his skills. He relates so much better to Lisa that he did last year to Trista. Trista was so afraid to get physically close to him because she felt Ryan would be jealous and physical closeness is necessary when dancing. It is probably a good thing she was eliminated early.

Lisa hugs and kisses him and treats him like a good friend. He is probably much more relaxed with her and this is reflected in how well they dance together. I hope they make it to the final three.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Onna View Post
    I think Louis is a great dancer. I have looked up to him for so many years and watching him dance inspires me to not give up dancing. (Though I probably should.) so I get kinda upset when you guys dis him.
    I like Louis a lot. I liked him last season, although Trista was a bit of a dud as a partner. Lisa seems to have a great relationship with him. I enjoy watching them, and hope they make it to the final three, which they definitely deserve.

Confession:
    I have to admit that I was not in Louie's corner last year, nor was I in his corner at the beginning of this year BUT I have to say now that he has stolen my heart. His relationship with Lisa is heartwarming and I enjoy seeing them together.
    I'm sure it has been mentioned but my DD and I think her husband and him look a lot alike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast