+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: John O'Hurley - Celebrity Dancer

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantis
    Ugggh! No way are John and Charlotte going to win! And besides, my sources are telling me that Kelly and Alec are getting more popularity votes than them.
    Who are your sources? Not names, what position are they in and your connection?

John and Charlotte are easily my favorite couple in the competition. They work hard and they are having fun.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

ITA. They're a great match for one another, and he has a modicum of talent to go with his boatloads of stage presence.

I could see Joey and Ashly possibly rising to challenge them if she can continue to work on her crowd skills.

But at this point, I think we all know Kelly and whats-iz-name will likely float to first or second place because of the soap/bodily appearance vote.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

USA Today had a nice article about John in today's paper.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...o-hurley_x.htm
    O'Hurley dances his way to new fame
    By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY
    When the producers of ABC's Dancing with the Stars (Wednesday, 9 ET/PT) began recruiting him, actor John O'Hurley figured it was to host the reality show.

"I've lost 15 pounds so far, I've got flexibility I haven't had in years, and people yell 'John!' instead of 'Peterman!'" says O'Hurley.
    ABC

Little did he realize he was being sought as one of six celebrity amateur dancers paired with pros in the six-week competition. That he'd become the show's biggest star. That the show would become a hit. Or that the fame would overshadow his highest-profile role: pompous catalog king J. Peterman on NBC's Seinfeld.

"I thought the show was a great idea, but not for old twinkle toes," says O'Hurley, whose prior dancing consisted of 1980s stage musicals.

But after mulling the offer with his wife, Lisa, he signed on. "She told me it would be a life-changing experience, and it has," says O'Hurley, 48.

"I've lost 15 pounds so far, I've got flexibility I haven't had in years, and when I go through an airport, people yell 'John!' instead of 'Peterman!' It's been a total surprise."

Dancing, too, has been a surprise success. It was No. 1 last week with 15.7 million viewers, its audience builds every week, and it scores particularly well among young adults.

Dapper in white tie and tails, O'Hurley has developed strong chemistry with partner Charlotte Jorgensen, 33. And their cha-chas, tangos and quick steps have captured strong support from the judges and viewers, who share voting power.

Executive producer Conrad Green says O'Hurley wasn't tapped for his dancing prowess. "We wanted someone a bit older who is likable, warm and funny. We didn't have a clue how good of a dancer he is."

Training with Jorgensen, a top pro dancer in the 1990s, quickly evolved from twice-weekly, four-hour sessions to a six-hour, seven-day regimen.

"The physical demands are one thing, but it's mentally draining, too," he says. "You have a new dance every week. It's like learning the violin on a Thursday and playing a concerto the following Wednesday."

For O'Hurley, an avid golfer with a 4 handicap, winning the dance-off is both a matter of pride and his competitive nature. "I have more to gain by winning than losing and looking silly," he says.

Still, O'Hurley downplays his chances against remaining celebs Rachel Hunter, Joey McIntyre and Kelly Monaco. "Latin dance styles are very difficult for me, and dancing is a male-led activity, so it's easier for me to look worse than the professional dancers," he says.

Whatever happens, O'Hurley remains busy. An accomplished pianist, his first CD, Peace of Our Minds, is due out this week. He's developing a comedy series la Larry David and has several movies in the works.

Then there's the Peterman connection: The fictional Seinfeld character was based on apparel purveyor J. Peterman, whom O'Hurley befriended. O'Hurley eventually acquired a stake in the J. Peterman Co. and serves on its board.

I've been enjoying this show. I'm new to Fans of Reality TV and am glad to find this forum to share how much I like this show. School is finally out for me and I plan to dance...go to dance classes and do some ballroom dancing.

I just saw "Mad Hot Ballroom" so I'm hooked. Like John, I hope to lose some weight while having fun. He makes this show worth watching because he is obviously working hard but having fun at the same time. I miss Evander though....so GO JOHN, GO!

to the FORT MouthAlmighty!

I still can figure out why he isn't in another TV series. I think the guy is a riot.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Welcome to the FORT Mouth!

I also love John and I couldn't believe he was in danger last night. He makes this show for the reasons you stated; he has fun and he works hard.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fan
    I haven't seen this show from the beginning so I'm curious to know if any of the judges have commented on all the facial expressions he uses. I agree he's a good dancer but I find all the faces he makes completely distracting. Thanks

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvons
    I haven't seen this show from the beginning so I'm curious to know if any of the judges have commented on all the facial expressions he uses. I agree he's a good dancer but I find all the faces he makes completely distracting. Thanks
    Wow! I think John's facial expressions are great and just add to the fun that he's sharing with those of us watching. I really hope John and Charlotte win and, I'm afraid to say, I hope Joey and Ashly come in second cuz I'm actually starting to like them a bit....

hi

I think the show's a riot! It's fun and flashy! Just the amount of cheese I need for the summer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast