+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 01/28 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie

Re: Dance War 1/28 Recap: Major Aggravation and Colossal Boredom

Why is everyone so down on this show? I really do enjoy it. And, by the ratings numbers so do about ten million other viewers each week. Maybe that is not quite up to "Dancing With the Stars" numbers, which by the way, I also love, but by today's standards is pretty good numbers. How many of you could sing and dance at the same time. Sure, I too, realize much of what i see is pretty close to what Simon would say "could be seen in any theme park anywhere in America", but I still enjoy it. And, those kids are hoping to get their dreams realized. If its not your cup of tea don't watch.

Re: Dance War 1/28 Recap: Major Aggravation and Colossal Boredom

Quote Originally Posted by tgcrider1;2777912;
    Why is everyone so down on this show? I really do enjoy it. And, by the ratings numbers so do about ten million other viewers each week. ........
    How many of you could sing and dance at the same time. ........
    And, those kids are hoping to get their dreams realized.
    Although the show debuted with 11 million viewers, the Nielsen index shows it has dropped with each episode after the premier. Bad numbers for ABC, and even worse word-of-mouth for it. No matter how bad a show is, it will always attract some viewers for various reasons from just habit of having their tv turned in to ABC during that period, to people who actually do enjoy the show. Unfortunately, those who do enjoy it are in the vast minority of available ratings points available. But hey, if you enjoy it, good for you, I'm glad you have a show you enjoy. I gave it 3 episodes to judge it, and I wanted it to succeed, since I love Bruno and Carrie Ann. Unfortunately, I agree with most viewers in seeing it as a complete failure, an experiment gone bad. And that makes me sad seeing Bruno and Carrie Ann associated with such a turkey. I'll be glad when DWtS returns so I can erase the images of Dance Wars from my mind.

As to how many of us could sing and dance at the same time.... who cares? We aren't the ones on tv trying to do it. And the facts of life are that if you do go on a tv show for whatever reason, then you're subject to praise and/or criticism from viewers, and that's the name of that tune (to borrow from Baretta). Yes, these kids are hoping to get their dreams realized, but so are millions of other kids and adults. It would be lovely to think everyone who has a dream gets for it to come true, but that isn't the way life works, so I can't allow for that in the pros and cons of judging if a show is entertaining to me. If a show is supposed to entertain me, then that's what it needs to do, and if it fails for any reason, including the lack of adequate talent or personalities to keep me interested, then that's the way it goes. If ABC really wants to help these kids realize a dream in an entertainment show, then they need to commit to a better quality of production and ideas. Becauses the sub-par talent is only a small part of the mess.... the bigger problems lie in content and/or lack thereof. It's almost like ABC wanted to poison it from the start.

So anyway, I gave it 3 episodes to try to interest me, but that didn't happen, so indeed, as I've already said, I won't be watching again. However, that won't keep me from having and expressing an opinion on the show.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Regular

Re: 01/28 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

I heard Dance War has held consistent ratings since it started? Granted it opened moderately, but it's kept that throughout all the weeks its been on the air. America IS tuning in, the producers ARE successful. I think it's funny that you don't want to watch it because you think it's bad, but you'll spend so much time talking about it and expressing an opinion. That's pretty funny - and goes to show that the show is unignorable because it's drawing your attention whether or not its drawing your eyes.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2777556;
    That is not the impression I got going into this show, but if that is what they are doing then I think they need to re-evaluate the songs they are giving these kids. I would rather hear an easier song that sounds good instead of some of the more challenging music they are giving them (i.e. Don't leave me this way, Survivor, the Usher song they got on the last show, etc...).
    Yeah, but that's the point I think - give them something so hard that the audience can see how hard it actually is. The teams have only been working together for two weeks and you can already see the quality of the numbers improving dramatically - that's what led me to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by oongaboonga;2778906;
    ..... I think it's funny that you don't want to watch it because you think it's bad, but you'll spend so much time talking about it and expressing an opinion. That's pretty funny - and goes to show that the show is unignorable because it's drawing your attention whether or not its drawing your eyes.
    Hmmm, I don't recall anyone yet saying the show didn't draw attention. Quite the opposite, it does draw attention, as any newly premiered show always will, whether it's good, bad, or ugly. It's the nature of the business. Ignorable is another animal entirely. And as long as the thread keeps popping up now and then, it won't be ignored anymore than any other thread.

As for talking about the show and expressing my opinion.... And why shouldn't I feel free to discuss something that I spent 3 weeks giving a chance to and then judged it to be bad? Have you ever gone on a trip somewhere that turned out to be less than what you'd hoped for and then never mentioned it again? Have you ever gone to a restaurant you'd been looking forward to going to, only to find the food wasn't so good and/or the service was bad? Have you ever seen a movie or show you thought would be good, only it turned out to be a dud? Did you never mention to anyone your opinion about that bad trip or that bad restaurant or that bad movie when the subject came up?

Quite the contrary, someone who has invested the time to check something out and formed an opinion on something has absolutely every right to pass that opinion on, especially in a venue where everyone expresses opinions. Where indeed, the entire point of the forum is to express personal opinions without others making personal judgements against posters. My attention is often drawn to a horrible vehicle accident that's on the side of the road where I'm driving. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop and get out and watch the goings-on, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to mention it to my family when I get home, either. No, the show threads are not just for positive opinions, it's for all opinions, and if a show is particularly bad (as opposed to just kinda bad or kinda good), then it's just as interesting to discuss it as a show that's universally loved. As with most people, my interests and opinions aren't limited to only lovely, likeable things. So feel free to think it's as funny as you want to, because I'd think it was pretty funny if all the time I invested in checking it out didn't produce an opinion that I'm willing to share in a forum that exists for viewers to share opinions about a tv show.

What a great place John has provided for us here.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2779417;
    As for talking about the show and expressing my opinion.... And why shouldn't I feel free to discuss something that I spent 3 weeks giving a chance to and then judged it to be bad? Have you ever gone on a trip somewhere that turned out to be less than what you'd hoped for and then never mentioned it again? Have you ever gone to a restaurant you'd been looking forward to going to, only to find the food wasn't so good and/or the service was bad? Have you ever seen a movie or show you thought would be good, only it turned out to be a dud? Did you never mention to anyone your opinion about that bad trip or that bad restaurant or that bad movie when the subject came up?
    I never said you shouldn't feel free to discuss, I just think it's funny. You only watched the first 3 weeks. I've been to plenty of restaurants whose menu sucked for the first month or so before they got everything ironed out, but I didn't go around giving them bad press. If I don't like a movie I don't go around talking about how bad it is to other people, because I figure it's a matter of taste, but if I find someone else that things it is bad I may discuss it with them. Still, I wouldn't go into a thread on that movie and badmouth it because it would just simply be a waste of my time.

I do think you should give the show another shot - that the teams are picked the show is getting steadily better. But I'm a huge fan, so of course I'm going to say that. Speaking of - http://dancewarfanclub.ning.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oongaboonga;2780148;
    I never said you shouldn't feel free to discuss, I just think it's funny. You only watched the first 3 weeks. I've been to plenty of restaurants whose menu sucked for the first month or so before they got everything ironed out, but I didn't go around giving them bad press. If I don't like a movie I don't go around talking about how bad it is to other people, because I figure it's a matter of taste, but if I find someone else that things it is bad I may discuss it with them. Still, I wouldn't go into a thread on that movie and badmouth it because it would just simply be a waste of my time.

I do think you should give the show another shot - that the teams are picked the show is getting steadily better. But I'm a huge fan, so of course I'm going to say that. .....
    Hence the wonderful world of differences between all the people on the planet. I see absolutely no reason in the world I shouldn't want to discuss a train wreck that I've just watched, and I find it funny that anyone should think otherwise, or think it's a waste of anyone's time to offer their opinion of something when it's fresh in their mind. I have absolutely no doubt in the world that if you've had a horrible experience in a restaurant and then found yourself in the midst of a group of people talking about it that you wouldn't offer your opinion based on your experience. Nor do I have any doubt that if you hated a movie and your friends were talking about it, that you wouldn't offer your opinion. That's life, and you aren't wasting your time anymore than I am, because I too am sharing an opinion with my friends, because that what FoRT is for, and what FoRT is. And I'm glad it amuses you because, hey.... humor is always great to have in our lives. Glad I could offer that to you In the meantime, I will continue to add my opinion in threads as I feel the urge to do, because it would be a waste of my time to have an opinion and not feel free to state it. That is the entire concept of discussion forums, and why we're all here.

As for giving it another chance? No way in hell, I can't think of a single reason I'd be compelled to do that. In spite of loving Bruno and Carrie Ann, and being mildly fond of Drew, the show has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Not only is it downright poorly conceived and produced, it's almost physically painful to watch. And -- again, except for Bruno and Carrie Ann -- there are no personalities on there that compel me to care anything about them. To continue watching a show that I've found to be that horrible... now that would be a waste of my time, and that would be funny. So no thanks, I'll happily and eagerly leave that trainwreck show to be watched by those who do enjoy it.

It's hardly surprising that different people find different things entertaining. While I agree that this show could use some improvement, I will watch it anytime over American Idol, which to me is a train wreck.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fan

The problem for me is that while SYTYCD and DWTS show people trying to master various dance styles, this show concentrates on one style alone, and it's the style i have the least interest in. So no matter how good the dancers/singers get, this pop music video machine is not going to replace those other dance shows for me.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;2780405;
    It's hardly surprising that different people find different things entertaining. While I agree that this show could use some improvement, I will watch it anytime over American Idol, which to me is a train wreck.
    Agreed. But for me it's just the choice of numbers here - I think if the songs felt more modern it wouldn't be so bad. Again, that's what I like about Dance War is that there's a lot of motown and a lot of hip-hop and things from the last few decades that have some soul. American Idol is all long sustained high notes...

[mod edit]
    Last edited by Marleybone; 02-03-2008 at 09:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast