+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6/23 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Rumor has it that any one who was a regular at Studio 54 in its hayday probably can't remember it all that clearly...besides there wasn't enough money in the budget for gold chains and where can you find polyester these days......The cotton club may have been harder to research but it had some advantages in terms of period costuming.....and strobe lights can be expensive......

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I'd be googling my butt off to get images of these clubs. Heck for Studio 54 all you need is a bag of coke and some naked women.
    Unk you forgot the strobe lights.....

If Tommy really was on the outs with Mick Jagger as he said he was last week....there would have been alot of days he wasn't allowed in the door....some pretty famous people were kept out for far less......

aga
    FORTified
    I think Deanna and Shauna unfairly went after Liz, but at that time The Cotton Club team did not know they won, so it became about who do we serve up to Tommy to be called into the pit. In this respect The Cut is like The Apprentice and Survivor.

From The Cotton Club team, Wes, Shauna and Felix were the least visible. My guess is than Felix probably worked hard because that seems to be his nature, plus he selected the team so he probably saw himself as the team leader. Shauna and Wes were probably the weakest (of those who directly worked on the project) and were probably saved by their alliance with Deanna.

If The Cotton club lost, then Princess would have definitely been in pit with either Jeff or Wes.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

H2O
    Tonight several folks shot themselves in the foot just by opening their mouths:

1. Princess - not swift behavior in the Hamptons, center of attention is not always a good thing - but it is what she craves and attempts to generate. I liked that TH let her know it was not appreciated. Do I think she understands? Nope. Next week we'll see her crying on someone's shoulder "not understanding" why TH hates her.

2. Julie - why would anyone volunteer they don't feel comfortable talking to gay people and say the gay person in the group would be better suited for that communication. The ignorance and arrogance was appalling.

3. Chris - saying you gave the team the amount of information they needed basically stated you withheld details.

4. Studio 54 team - saying you didn't want to duplicate the club but give a feeling for the club. The assignment was to recreate the club.

I loved his Hampton designer friend's assessment of the 4 folks. On the mark! Should we go ahead and crown James to early favorite?

The cotton club was terrific - attention to detail outstanding.
    Studio 54 - good vibe - lacked attention to detail.

With Chris getting the boot, the show took an Apprentice like turn with the project manager being held responsible for the success/failure of the team. I was a bit surprised at the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O
    Tonight several folks shot themselves in the foot just by opening their mouths:

1. Princess - not swift behavior in the Hamptons, center of attention is not always a good thing - but it is what she craves and attempts to generate. I liked that TH let her know it was not appreciated. Do I think she understands? Nope. Next week we'll see her crying on someone's shoulder "not understanding" why TH hates her.

2. Julie - why would anyone volunteer they don't feel comfortable talking to gay people and say the gay person in the group would be better suited for that communication. The ignorance and arrogance was appalling.

3. Chris - saying you gave the team the amount of information they needed basically stated you withheld details.

4. Studio 54 team - saying you didn't want to duplicate the club but give a feeling for the club. The assignment was to recreate the club.
    Right on the mark, H2O!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O

With Chris getting the boot, the show took an Apprentice like turn with the project manager being held responsible for the success/failure of the team. I was a bit surprised at the choice.

Except that Chris WASN'T the project manager. That's what I find appauling. The design coordinator (or whatever you want to call the team leader) for the Studio 54 team selected the team, selected Studio 54 as the theme, and then, amazingly, selected himself (and a team member that he characterized as "arm candy") to go to the Hamptons and leave his team. I can't believe that TH didn't call him on that one. I suspect that even the erratic Mr. Trump would have laid into a team leader who used his power to selfishly benefit himself and voluntarily bail on his team.

I think that he lucked out in that the other designer really liked him and wanted to hire him, but it doesn't change the fact that he bailed on the project and on his self-selected team.

I agree that the cotton club was a clear winner. To me, the Studio 54 project looked amateurish, like some random person's theme party in a rented out bar. The VIP room was lame. Was there only one chair in the VIP area?

Chris shouldn't have been cut. He contributed the most. If TH was unimpressed with the costuming, he should have gone after the two responsible for the costuming.

And the "you're out of style" line is just terrible. Awful.

Sorry, just a few random thoughts.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoegirl
    Except that Chris WASN'T the project manager. That's what I find appauling. The design coordinator (or whatever you want to call the team leader) for the Studio 54 team selected the team, selected Studio 54 as the theme, and then, amazingly, selected himself (and a team member that he characterized as "arm candy") to go to the Hamptons and leave his team. I can't believe that TH didn't call him on that one. I suspect that even the erratic Mr. Trump would have laid into a team leader who used his power to selfishly benefit himself and voluntarily bail on his team.
    I was thinking the same thing. The leader picks the team and the project and just bails? And he wasn't called out on it? I haven't seen if there is an Apprentice-like disclaimer that says the network helps choose the person who is "out of style" but that certainly doesn't surprise me. Booting the one person on the team that took charge and keeping wastes like Princess is a joke. They're keeping Princess and Tommy and the bald guy for drama, for sure.

The other thing that bugs me about this show is that they have this "invitation" thing, yet those who take that task "win" or "lose" the main task without being a part of it. Last night, Princess and the bald guy should have been on the chopping block for what they did in the Hamptons, yet since their team won the task (even though they had no part in the planning process) they had no chance of getting cut.

In my opinion, if there is a "Tommy invitation" on every task, then those who go on that task should be part of a seperate "team" where what happens on the main task doesn't affect their chances of getting booted.

Despite what happened with the clubs, the two people who should have been the ones with the chance to get cut were Princess and the bald guy. They certainly did worse than the guy who actually took charge when the team leader bailed.

But, of course, I'll still be watching next week.

Take care,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by aga
    I think Deanna and Shauna unfairly went after Liz, but at that time The Cotton Club team did not know they won, so it became about who do we serve up to Tommy to be called into the pit. In this respect The Cut is like The Apprentice and Survivor.
    I see this show as The Apprentice meets Project Runway. And so I watch, even though so many of the contestants are just sour and obnoxious and therefore no fun to watch. Deanna and Shawna are right up there on my "hate 'em" list, but on their team the one who really needed to go first was Princess. She gets on my last nerve. Too bad she was on the winning team through no effort of her own and therefore was not eleigible to be eliminated this week.

aga
    FORTified
    Quote Originally Posted by adamperk
    I was thinking the same thing. The leader picks the team and the project and just bails? And he wasn't called out on it? I haven't seen if there is an Apprentice-like disclaimer that says the network helps choose the person who is "out of style" but that certainly doesn't surprise me.
    I vaguely recall Tommy stating that the person who selects the team is not necessarily the team leader, the leader will more of less "emerge". Personally I think James was a jerk for leaving the team, but clearly it worked for him. Also, based on last week, he did not seem like the leader type, so perhaps he did not want the responsibilty and took the chance to get out of being the leader. Perhaps he will show more leadership down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by adamperk
    In my opinion, if there is a "Tommy invitation" on every task, then those who go on that task should be part of a seperate "team" where what happens on the main task doesn't affect their chances of getting booted.
    Great Idea!
    Last edited by aga; 06-24-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast