+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 9/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker
    This is my first message (I just had to say something).

I'm sorry, but I'm not a bit impressed by the moral character of either Hank or Lisa/

Everyone's saying that it's immoral to marry someone after just a few dates, but no one seems to look down upon them for their apparent physical rendevous during the overnight dates.

Did they have sex? Who knows... but the studio audience seemed to think so and cheered at the possibility.

And Lisa rolling around with Dominic and French kissing Rhenda (and others). Hank telling her he wanted to take her clothes off. etc. etc. etc.

I guess the moral standard is that it's ok to have sex with someone (or have intense physical encounters with multiple men at once)... but it's immoral to marry someone on tv.

I guess I have conservative morals because the "logic" sure sounds strange to me.

Bottom Line: still no respect for either Lisa or Hank
    While I do think it's pretty slutty to french kiss and/or sleep with several guys on national TV, the difference (to me) is that nobody says a solemn vow before they do it. As they do with marriage.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by surprise twist
    While I do think it's pretty slutty to french kiss and/or sleep with several guys on national TV, the difference (to me) is that nobody says a solemn vow before they do it. As they do with marriage.
    Sounds nice the way you said it, but I still don't agree.

By this logic...

1) a couple marries for a few years then divorces.
    =Immoral (because they broke a vow to love/cherish for life).

2) a couple has multiple sexual encounters and never marries.
    =Ok (since they didn't make a vow first).

I guess I'm from a really "old school" because in my book sex outside of marriage is VERY immoral.*

* I realize the above statement will offend some here.

Great ending.

I'm very pleased.

I think Hank made the right decision, but I disagree that Lisa definitely knew he was going to do it. I think they did discuss that they didn't want to share more of their relationship with America, but I think she may have still thought he would say yes, and then maybe allow HER to make the decision. In my opinion, she looked a little startled and disappointed when he said it (at first). Also, her dad took the opportunity as he was "giving Lisa's hand in marriage" to take the stage and talk for a while, which I doubt the show expected, and he went on about how they like Hank and that the "last time I used that line with a woman, I married her! True story!" whatever that meant. So her dad didn't seem to know that they wouldn't be married. When they panned to her Dad's face after Hank said that, he looked shocked, in my opinion. Of course, Lisa would say that they had that talk, etc. (and I agree from the clip of their "last talk before the decision" that she told him she didn't care which way the vote went, she wanted to be with him), because she would want to save face and say she wasn't disappointed. If you were going to do that, though, wouldn't you let your parents in on it? Her dad is probably thinking that the guy just cost his daughter a million bucks! The minister was overjoyed by the decision, though, and was beaming with happiness and probably relief that he didn't have to perform a wedding between two people who have barely dated.

Some other funny points: The host (who is the worst host in television in my opinion, even worse than Julie Chen) asked Joe about his attraction to Laura and said that this was Joe's chance to ask Laura out. Joe did, saying that Laura knew there was attraction there, so why fight it, etc. He said he had been telling newspapers in interviews that they were attracted to each other. Laura was laughing hysterically and they didn't give her a chance to say anything. Then, after all of the hype about flying in women who went on Match.com to get a date with the guys who didn't win, they didn't introduce them or pair them off, which I thought they would do! They probably didn't have time since Lisa's Dad took his "moment in the spotlight" and droned on for a few minutes. Or maybe not enough women signed up and they couldn't find dates that were suitable for all of the guys. And one more thought--When Dominic announced that the women had given him grief that he wasn't ready to get married and then said "well....you're right!" did anyone else think he said it in more of a "I knew it all along and had another agenda" kind of way instead of a "I've given it a lot of thought and I've come to the decision you are right" way? I wanted the stupid host to ask him about when he came to that conclusion, but he just moved on to the next person.

Wonderful post Cat. Yes, I think there were a few unexpected moments and they were covered up sufficiently for the viewers. I, for one, am glad it is over. I still think Robert won the vote, but we will never know now.

I still think there is something hinky about Hank. He did back out smoothly, but who in their right mind actually expected a wedding to take place tonight? I also think Lisa was totally surprised or they would have announced there would be no nuptials jointly. He grabbed the spotlight and really gave her no opportunity other than to agree with him.

I give them a month or two of shuttling between Chicago and Detroit, and then it will end and hopefully, so will their extended 15 minutes. I sure hope she's not hanging around months from now like Trista Wren.

I must admit her dress was just exquisite, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Catniptoy
    Some other funny points: The host (who is the worst host in television in my opinion, even worse than Julie Chen) asked Joe about his attraction to Laura and said that this was Joe's chance to ask Laura out. Joe did, saying that Laura knew there was attraction there, so why fight it, etc. He said he had been telling newspapers in interviews that they were attracted to each other. Laura was laughing hysterically and they didn't give her a chance to say anything. Then, after all of the hype about flying in women who went on Match.com to get a date with the guys who didn't win, they didn't introduce them or pair them off, which I thought they would do! They probably didn't have time since Lisa's Dad took his "moment in the spotlight" and droned on for a few minutes. Or maybe not enough women signed up and they couldn't find dates that were suitable for all of the guys. And one more thought--When Dominic announced that the women had given him grief that he wasn't ready to get married and then said "well....you're right!" did anyone else think he said it in more of a "I knew it all along and had another agenda" kind of way instead of a "I've given it a lot of thought and I've come to the decision you are right" way? I wanted the stupid host to ask him about when he came to that conclusion, but he just moved on to the next person.
    Regarding Joe & Laura, Joe basically proposed to Laura right then and there and offered to marry her on tonight's show, and the host (whatever his name is) cut him off and didn't allow Laura to respond and said something like "Leave it to you (Joe) to steal the spotlight from Lisa... she's the ONLY one who's getting married tonight."

And I'm sure Joe's date was real happy to hear Joe proposing to another woman

I'm not too surprised they didn't introduce the other guys' dates though... Since they were all like regular women, and I'm, sure they didn't particularly want to be on camera... You could see a couple of them blushing when they showed that brief group shot of them...

I was just re-watching the ending... When the host asked Hank if he felt like he "owed it to America" to marry Lisa that night and he said "not at all" they showed Lisa's family sitting in the front row... Did you see that one lady kind of shake her head at what Hank said there??? Did Lisa's family actually WANT her to marry a total stranger???
    Last edited by RealVoyeur; 09-17-2003 at 12:49 AM.

I have actually come to the conclusion that these people really wanted Lisa to marry some guy on the show and get a million dollars!!! I'm shocked at this, not only because it's asinine, but also because it is an America votes show, so Lisa didn't have control over it. But yes, I think they felt it was a viable option and that she would have money at the end of a year. I ask myself why Lisa needs this arranged marriage? If she is God's gift to men as Simon and the show have said, why isn't she already married???
    I agree about the dress, Eddiesleg, and I'll try to describe it for anyone who couldn't see the show. It was an elegant sheath-type dress that was sleeveless and had sort of a fold of material at the neckline, and then in the back the neckline plunged straight down with the same kind of fold all along the edge (I know there is name for this; forgive me for not knowing it). The material appeared to me to be silk, and was a very plain white, without a lot of fussy lace. I think there were a couple of lace inserts one the sides to give it interest, but not a lot. The dress was very 1920's, art deco, flapperish (even though it was full length). I couldn't see the shoes. She wore her hair up, not in a bun but in a loose knot on top of her head with a sort of short pony tail at the end. She had a few curled tendrils around her face. She had a beautiful white gold or silver necklace that was extremely long (again, like a flapper wore) that had an art-deco style to it with what looked like squared links, and it was crossed once around the front of her neck and allowed to hang down in the back, along the back of the dress. It was very elegant. The guys all wore black tuxes, and the host made sure his tux was different by wearing the type that had a black satin vest that matched his lapels. The guys wore the standard tux with black bow ties. I thought it would have been nice to let the guys pick out bow ties that matched their personalities, but God forbid they let them do anything creative and not contrived (what do I know, anyway?). Laura and Kimberly wore long black dresses, both sleeveless. I think Lauras was one of the types that bared one shoulder, and Kimberly's had the angled hem that showed one leg. I couldn't see their shoes, either, and I didn't notice their hair or jewelry. I noticed that Laura seemed genuinely happy at the end of the show (probably glad that Lisa wasn't headed for divorce, because Heaven knows we all have been told enough that Laura had a divorce).

Quote Originally Posted by Catniptoy
    The minister was overjoyed by the decision, though, and was beaming with happiness and probably relief that he didn't have to perform a wedding between two people who have barely dated.
    that's for sure!!

Just a comment about the minister. Although he is a TV minister and does the "fake" weddings on several soaps and sitcoms, he is a real minister and performs real weddings, too (like this one could have potentially turned into.)

He was the minister who married my husband and me several years ago and I guess he did a decent job -- we're still together!
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key..." - The Eagles

"I like the bed I'm sleepin' in, just like me it's broken in; it's not old... just older..." - Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by happybanana
    I am pretty sure this show is rigged. I was able to predict exactly in what order the 4 guys left would be eliminated: dominic, then evan, then robert. I knew that for suspense they would have Hank and Robert as the top two. I don't believe for a second that the votes had anything to do with the final result, or at least for the order it played out.
    Also, did anyone catch when Lisa told Hank (when they were alone that she went to visit him) that she didn't cared what happened, or how America voted (something like that). Well, that just tells me that she knew she would reject anyone else if it wasn't Hank, which of course would have been the right thing to do. Meaning, that she and Hank planned on being together no matter what the outcome of the show. And actually, I think that's pretty great.

I don't think the votes counted either. It was my understanding that Robert was leading in the voting 4 to 1.Who can say, it might be love for real.

Scripted! Scripted! Scripted!

Either the rules are very clevely written so that it's not whether HANK says yes or no but whether LISA does and/or the one million is if they get married on camera but perhaps there's a nice $999,999.00 if they get married within a month or something. Okay, I'm being a bit extreme, but I'll bet there's a sizable cash payout if they marry within a year or something. Look, if Lisa and Hank are legitimate, a million could go a long way to starting them off with that winery. Nope, I don't believe for a minute that they turned town the whole amount.

And I don't think this was a surprise to Lisa, either. I think she knew what he was going to say and -- further, I think Hank's speach was prompted. I don't think the show had any expectations that a wedding was going to take place.

And, oh, the suspense of having Robert up until the end!!!! What a great coincidence, huh? Great for the ratings! Kept the audience tuned in! Totally bogus.

So Hank and Lisa both got to look like nice, decent folks ("I came looking for love and I found it"). I guess this little gem is supposed to restore everybody's faith that she didn't really cheapen herself by participating in a money for marriage game show.

Oh, yes! The host's total shock at Hank's response. I think that little scene was just added to complete the deception.

Nope, don't believe it for a minute. Totally scripted and there's some little clause in the contract that we don't know about that makes it all okay Hank and Lisa - they probably didn't lose much $$$ at all.
    The writers knew this would be an ending that would not only keep everybody on the edge of their seats, but would make viewers happy, happy, happy. Sorry to be so cynical but this was just too obvious to me.

+ Reply to Thread