+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Date a Suitor

FORT Fanatic

Date a Suitor

So....has anyone been to the site to sign up to be eligible to be the date of one of the 'voted-off' suitors???

Escaping my own reality!
    Nope, but I was thinking that maybe the whole "Vote Robert" crowd has signed up for Date-A-Suitor. They're all hoping they get one of the other guys

That option is no longer on the CBS website. The contest seems to be closed.

Paul is my favorite but I would never sign up for Match.com under any circumstances.

Escaping my own reality!

My $0.02 on Online Dating

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    Paul is my favorite but I would never sign up for Match.com under any circumstances.
    I don't think I would sign up with the intent of meeting one of the suitors, but back in the day (5.5-6 years ago) I did the trial membership at Match.com a couple times along with Yahoo personals. I was 27 at the time and recently divorced. I found that meeting someone at 27 was very difficult and I never had problems with this when I was college age. The problem is the places you spend your time as a 27yo like work are filled with lots and lots of married people. I tried clubs/bars a couple times but found I was no longer interested in that and that the guys there were on the young side for me. I was stuck in a town where I didn't know many people and didn't know what to do.

Online dating is interesting. By online dating, I mean finding persons online and then meeting in person, not online-only romances. I corresponded with probably 50 guys over the 6 months or so I did this, I actually met about 10. Of the 10, I went out with about 3 twice and I married the next to last one. Still married, just celebrated our 5th anniversary. Why the next to last one? Well, there were only a couple guys I really didn't like at all, the rest just didn't click. I was mostly trying to get out of the house so I set up dates on a Friday and a Saturday for the same week with different guys, figuring I wouldn't click with either. Well, Friday and I clicked big time! Saturday never stood a chance but I felt bad cancelling at the last minute ... he was someone that it turned out we had friends in common ... so I went anyway. He was nice but again, no click. Friday and I went out again on Sunday and have been together ever since.

We actually know a few other couples that have gotten married after meeting via internet personals. If you think about it, online dating has a lot of advantages over meeting someone in a bar. Most are sober , most are looking for a long term relationship, and you can filter by where they live, what their interests are, etc. You have to be careful and meet in a public place (I liked going to Borders for coffee), but it's not a bad way to go. It's basically setting yourself up on a blind date.

Jolly's Journal rocks! davidbird's Avatar
    I met my ex-boyfriend and current boyfriend on a personals site too. I agree that it's a great way to meet guys that are serious about settling down, and if you're smart about it it's not too hard to weed out the bad ones. I could never see myself going Lisa's way about it or going onto a generic site like Match.com because my faith and political views are too important to me. I don't want to spend the rest of my life with someone that I can't agree with on the issues I feel most strongly about. I think Lisa's standards are really low, she seems to focus more on "connection" than on what she has in common with the guys. Objectively, my ex-boyfriend was way more attractive and "fascinating" than my current sweetie, but we were opposite on too many things. That's why, even though I'm not a huge Hank fan and I don't like Lisa at all, I think he's the only one she has a chance of being remotely happy with. I still want her to end up with Renda though, I find him more entertaining than Robert.

Finding the Right Man on the Internet

Well, I have to commend anyone that can get online dating to work for them. I have met Match.com participants at a local museum event during one of their group outings. I also have a friend that has given it a try without any success. It has been interesting listening to the dating experiences of others through Match.com.

For all the success stories, I always worry about becoming one of the rare horror stories. I will just have to keep meeting guys on a regular face to face basis.

I have been on a gadzillion blind dates through dating services. I've been with my last date for nearly 8 years.

After a certain age, it's just too hard to meet people without some outside help!

Jolly's Journal rocks! davidbird's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    Well, I have to commend anyone that can get online dating to work for them. I have met Match.com participants at a local museum event during one of their group outings. I also have a friend that has given it a try without any success. It has been interesting listening to the dating experiences of others through Match.com.

For all the success stories, I always worry about becoming one of the rare horror stories. I will just have to keep meeting guys on a regular face to face basis.
    Whatever works. Heck, I'd go for meeting people in person if it worked for me, but I actually think meeting people in bars or something has resulted in more horror stories than online dating has.

+ Reply to Thread