+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Am I alone

  1. #21
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ckeryj0nes
    why should we consider that a mitigating factor? it's not like she didn't know they were going to be there, nor like she didn't realize that her dates might be filmed while she participated in a reality dating/courtship show.

    also, it's not as if the men didn't have cameras following their every move and not one of them seemed less comfortable than lisa.
    Have you ever been filmed? or seen yourself on film? In a closeup?

    I'm simply dumbfounded by the cold, relentness, vengeful hostility that so many posters have towards this girl.

    Why? Because she doesn't "deserve" the money? Hey, no-one deserves a windfall. But that doesn't entitle you to try to cause them pain.

    Or perhaps because she's turned marriage into a "mockery"? Hey, she's placed herself in a situation where she can select 10 potential husbands from a pool of 4-500 eligible guys who have "pre-selected" her. Seems like those are much better odds than a big portion of small town America.

    As a Canadian (who can't vote on this), I'm very disturbed by what "America" is doing to this poor girl. Is this really who you are?

  2. #22
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    251

    As a Canadian (who can't vote on this), I'm very disturbed by what "America" is doing to this poor girl. Is this really who you are?
    Gee, I wasn't aware that we put a gun to her head and forced her to go on this show, select Robert to be in the final ten, and then agree to marry whoever the audience picks. Bad Americans! Bad! Bad!

  3. #23
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    Have you ever been filmed? or seen yourself on film? In a closeup?

    I'm simply dumbfounded by the cold, relentness, vengeful hostility that so many posters have towards this girl.
    no i haven't been filmed, i don't like being captured on camera. however for that reason, i wouldn't subject myself to a reality show. she however made the choice to do so, so any argument that she's now camera shy just doesn't fly. she made her choice to do the show and her apologists aren't going to make much headway with the idea that she didn't realize their might be some cameras involved in her participation.

    and since when is speaking the unvarnished truth vengeful hostility? she is bland, she has allowed her friends to treat perfect strangers like dirt on her behalf, and she was positively horrible with the children. how is stating those things which are demonstrable facts either venegful or hostile?


    Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    Why? Because she doesn't "deserve" the money? Hey, no-one deserves a windfall. But that doesn't entitle you to try to cause them pain.

    Or perhaps because she's turned marriage into a "mockery"? Hey, she's placed herself in a situation where she can select 10 potential husbands from a pool of 4-500 eligible guys who have "pre-selected" her. Seems like those are much better odds than a big portion of small town America.
    i couldn't care less about the winfall she may or may not recieve, nor do i care about the institution of marriage being made a mockery. giving my honest opinion of the show and the characters doesn't mean i'm attempting to cuase the girl pain, i'm just stating my observations, if you consider calling things like you see them an attempt to cause pain, then i suggest the problem is that of the reader, not the writer.

    Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    As a Canadian (who can't vote on this), I'm very disturbed by what "America" is doing to this poor girl. Is this really who you are?
    If being honest about what i see, and being honest about being concerned more about my own amusement than the future happiness of someone i have never met and will likely never meet is what you mean about being who i really am, well then yes that is who i really am. the whole problem with this show is that it assumes the girl looking for love is someone who we should want to be happy. however no one has given any demonstration that this is in fact the truth. the show has not established lisa as someone likeable enough for the audience to care about her happiness, for that, you might want to blame the producers, not the audience.

  4. #24
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    133
    She seems comfortable letting everyone know just how bored she is in front of cameras.

    But that doesn't entitle you to try to cause them pain.
    Getting a million dollars is painful? Or are you referring to the loss of these guys she barely knows?

  5. #25
    Jolly's Journal rocks! davidbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    She seems comfortable letting everyone know just how bored she is in front of cameras.



    Getting a million dollars is painful? Or are you referring to the loss of these guys she barely knows?
    I disliked Lisa completely from the time the producers made her take four of the 20 semifinalists to the beauty parlor. She asked one of the guys to explain to her what he had to offer, and when he clammed up she said "You're not giving me anything. You're boring me." I think she has unrealistic expectations of entertainment value from her unfortunate mate, and I don't see any ability in her to make the best of bad situations (think: Robert). You need that ability in any long-term relationship.

  6. #26
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15
    Ok I can't let this one go:

    As a Canadian (who can't vote on this), I'm very disturbed by what "America" is doing to this poor girl. Is this really who you are?[/QUOTE]


    What are we doing to her?? Giving another pretty but boring girl her shot at minor celebrity-and a chance at winning a million bucks-- oh man we are terrible people. You may not know this (being a Canadian who can't vote) but in my country we have a little saying--lighten up!! Its just a reality game show!

  7. #27
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfluffy
    What are we doing to her?? Giving another pretty but boring girl her shot at minor celebrity-and a chance at winning a million bucks-- oh man we are terrible people. You may not know this (being a Canadian who can't vote) but in my country we have a little saying--lighten up!! Its just a reality game show!
    Uh, I'm not actually sure what your point is.

    I've got no problem with the show. It's not something that I personally would sign up for, but to each their own.

    My point is that you (the "America" that is referred to 98 times every show) are being invited to vote on who you think is the best choice for Lisa (admittedly bland). That's the deal. Just like American Idol, and American Jr, etc

    Instead, a large portion of "America" (ie. those that care enough about this to vote) are abusing their small portion of power so as to force her to spend time with guys that she dislikes and that everyone acknowledges are the worst choices.

    Wouldn't it maybe make you feel good to help someone have a good experience, instead if getting your rocks off trying to sabotage it?

    I mean, hey, poking a sharp stick into someone's eye makes for pretty interesting viewing too, but I figure if that's really what you're into then why not acknowledge that you're a sadist and get out of your closet and into the scene and torture your spouse or a cat or whatever else it takes to "entertain" you.

    'Cause vapid though she may be, I don't recall Lisa every asking for it nor agreeing to it.

  8. #28
    Jolly's Journal rocks! davidbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    Uh, I'm not actually sure what your point is.

    I've got no problem with the show. It's not something that I personally would sign up for, but to each their own.

    My point is that you (the "America" that is referred to 98 times every show) are being invited to vote on who you think is the best choice for Lisa (admittedly bland). That's the deal. Just like American Idol, and American Jr, etc

    Instead, a large portion of "America" (ie. those that care enough about this to vote) are abusing their small portion of power so as to force her to spend time with guys that she dislikes and that everyone acknowledges are the worst choices.

    Wouldn't it maybe make you feel good to help someone have a good experience, instead if getting your rocks off trying to sabotage it?

    I mean, hey, poking a sharp stick into someone's eye makes for pretty interesting viewing too, but I figure if that's really what you're into then why not acknowledge that you're a sadist and get out of your closet and into the scene and torture your spouse or a cat or whatever else it takes to "entertain" you.

    'Cause vapid though she may be, I don't recall Lisa every asking for it nor agreeing to it.
    Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not defending Robert or his fans, because as much as I dislike Lisa, I have never voted for Robert or any other contestant, but REALLY! To equate poking someone in the eye with a stick to being on a date with Robert? Lisa (hopefully) is not going to be physically scarred by this experience. At worst, she'll get to know a few guys she likes and not get a million dollars and drift off into obscurity.

    Yes, the show made a deal with America, but as independent thinkers, many Americans have chosen to change the rules of the deal. I personally can't believe that Robert's absurd antics will continue to be as funny week after week, so it may be wise to just weather the Robert fans for now. On the bright side, how dull would this show be if we could predict who would be voted off each week?

  9. #29
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    Uh, I'm not actually sure what your point is.

    I've got no problem with the show. It's not something that I personally would sign up for, but to each their own.

    My point is that you (the "America" that is referred to 98 times every show) are being invited to vote on who you think is the best choice for Lisa (admittedly bland). That's the deal. Just like American Idol, and American Jr, etc

    Instead, a large portion of "America" (ie. those that care enough about this to vote) are abusing their small portion of power so as to force her to spend time with guys that she dislikes and that everyone acknowledges are the worst choices.

    Wouldn't it maybe make you feel good to help someone have a good experience, instead if getting your rocks off trying to sabotage it?

    I mean, hey, poking a sharp stick into someone's eye makes for pretty interesting viewing too, but I figure if that's really what you're into then why not acknowledge that you're a sadist and get out of your closet and into the scene and torture your spouse or a cat or whatever else it takes to "entertain" you.

    'Cause vapid though she may be, I don't recall Lisa every asking for it nor agreeing to it.

    Wow--well to tell the truth I never would have guessed that was what your point was--sounds like a complete change of subject to me! Anyway rest assured that this American isn't voting for people she doesn't like--or for people I like for that matter. No matter whether Lisa ends up with a dream(ummm) or a dud(ugh) I am sure she will be fine.

  10. #30
    FORT Fogey RealVoyeur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    ...I'm very disturbed by what "America" is doing to this poor girl. Is this really who you are?
    "Poor girl"??? :rolleyes :rolleyes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.