+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Professions

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy
    What happened to normal jobs? Maybe I'm old fashioned but does anyone do a job that adds some benefits to society? Let's run down the list:

Scott: Corporate Strategist (What is this?)
    Robert: Fitness Model (give me a break)
    Dominic: Student (good so far) studying Entrepreneurship (first of all, not a word I can find in the dictionary, second I know a number of people who have successful businesses and they didn't go to college to do it. Also, he says he wants to own his own business. Just any business? Way to focus)
    Ken: Options Trader (don't know what he does, other than make money)
    Hank: See above (and I really like this guy)
    Evan: Girls Volleyball Coach (okay, at least he's giving something back)
    Rob: Sales Representative (cars, major appliances, answers the phone for Miss Cleo? What?)
    Renda: Poet/Street Hustler (I'd be okay with poet, but I've said it before. Anyone with "hustler" in their job title should be avoided. Just an aside, the same rule applies to people with "pimp" in their job description.)
    Paul: Playwrite (but is he a successful playwrite? I'm a writer and a filmmaker, but I've never sold anything. So I do engineering on the side. Isn't Paul a professor also? If so, I do admire that)
    Joe: Real Estate Developer (funny, I just see greedy bastard when I read that)

What happened to mailmen, doctors, scientists, firemen? Does anyone have a "regular" job? Of course, maybe "regular" guys don't go on TV to meet women.
    Lemme ask you somethin'-- what's so wrong with having a successful job that ISN'T necessarily "regular"? I think your definition of "irregular" is probably anything you're incapable of doing and/or are completely uninformed about. Passing judgment on people who are successful, and enjoying that success due to an imagination and a talent that maybe "regular" jobs do not require, is narrow-minded and shows your insecurity with your lack of imagination, and probably, your lack of skills that could make you successful as a "corporate strategist" (which, by the way, is someone who works with a company to help strategize how they want to portray the company, helps make investment and general business suggestions to the company, to keep it successful and up-to-date. They're also aware of the general market for the products the company is involved with, and come up with ways to market those products effectively... and the list goes on. Was that so complicated?)
    After looking at your blatant ignorance, I have to say... you definitely have a problem with people more successful than you!
    I know people studying Entrepreneurship in school. It is, in fact, legitimate and helps prepare people who are planning on opening a business (he probably knows what kind of business, but didn't mention it... he seems smart enough and goal-oriented enough to know what kind of business he wants to open). I'm currently finishing off my undergrad... I have a dual degree in political science and public relations, and after law school, my goal is to be a political strategist, or work for campaigns, which I already do. (Do you know what a political strategist is? Or should I explain?) Ken explained what an options trader is, and what he does as an options trader... but you seem like the kind of person who shuts their ears to anything they don't want to hear. I noticed that everyone listed above who is in a business-oriented, successful, high-paying job really got a thrashing from you. Renda's day job, a "poet" was acceptable to you... who makes a living writing poetry, especially if it's not phenomenal?
    Last, but certainly not least... your remark about seeing "Greedy Bastard" when looking at "real estate developer"... Greedy because he desires success and money?
    You're a writer and a filmmaker... who's never sold anything. (I don't think you can credit yourself with a career in either of those things unless you've had some degree of success with them)
    For someone who's in the position of possibly having their work be an information medium to the public, you sure don't know much.
    And, since Paul is a professor as well as a playWRIGHT, he's probably not a successful playWRIGHT. Not many of my professors have extra-curricular time!! I apologize to the others for the philibuster... but some people just have to be set straight!!!
    ~*Danielle*~
    George W. Bush 2004!!

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    HEHEHEHE. Okay, sorry to touch a nerve. Burberrygirl, I am incapable of doing many things. Some regular, some not so regular . Yes, I tend to be narrow-minded on some things. I'm not insecure about my lack of imagination, I have embraced my lack of imagination and am at peace with it. I understand what a corporate strategist is, why does a corporation need one. Shouldn't the management team be "aware of the general market for the products the company is involved with, and come up with ways to market those products effectively?" I still hold to my belief that a corporate strategist is a leech.

Can ignorance not be blatant? Maybe this was redundant. I do have a problem with some people that are more successful than I am. Of course, I don't have a clue who on the Cupid show is successful and who is not. Are you saying they are all more successful than I am? I don't even know how successful I am. What is success? Most money? A happy family? Coolest job? I just don't know. Damn blatant ignorance showing again!

Basically, I'm shutting my ears (or in this case eyes) to the rest of your post because I don't want to hear (read) it!

Okay, I'm back, because I want to grow. I don't have a problem with someone wanting to make money, as long as it's for a purpose. I've grown tired of seeing empty stripmalls all across this country where someone made a profit, and someone lost money. To many developers, it's a game, with profit being the goal. Making money for the sake of making money is not noble, no matter how fervently you may argue in the negative.

I'm a bad writer and a pathetic filmmaker. My point was that, despite this, I can call myself these things. Just as anyone can call themselves a writer of plays or a developer of real estate. My ultimate point is that I believe that many people on Reality TV want to appear interesting and give their professions exciting names. I'd prefer for people to be straight up about themselves. And thanks for your bio, I'm a Civil Engineer. Nothing more, nothing less. I just go to work, do my job, collect my pay and hope the world's a better place because of it. Probably not, but I hope.

And last, and probably least, thanks for letting me know that I am someone who needs to "be set straight." Thanks for the open minded approach to debating. You make your boy Bush proud.

Bla-sed: Entertained yet?

HEHEHEHE. Okay, sorry to touch a nerve. Burberrygirl, I am incapable of doing many things. Some regular, some not so regular . Yes, I tend to be narrow-minded on some things. I'm not insecure about my lack of imagination, I have embraced my lack of imagination and am at peace with it. I understand what a corporate strategist is, why does a corporation need one. Shouldn't the management team be "aware of the general market for the products the company is involved with, and come up with ways to market those products effectively?" I still hold to my belief that a corporate strategist is a leech.

Can ignorance not be blatant? Maybe this was redundant. I do have a problem with some people that are more successful than I am. Of course, I don't have a clue who on the Cupid show is successful and who is not. Are you saying they are all more successful than I am? I don't even know how successful I am. What is success? Most money? A happy family? Coolest job? I just don't know. Damn blatant ignorance showing again!

Basically, I'm shutting my ears (or in this case eyes) to the rest of your post because I don't want to hear (read) it!

Okay, I'm back, because I want to grow. I don't have a problem with someone wanting to make money, as long as it's for a purpose. I've grown tired of seeing empty stripmalls all across this country where someone made a profit, and someone lost money. To many developers, it's a game, with profit being the goal. Making money for the sake of making money is not noble, no matter how fervently you may argue in the negative.

I'm a bad writer and a pathetic filmmaker. My point was that, despite this, I can call myself these things. Just as anyone can call themselves a writer of plays or a developer of real estate. My ultimate point is that I believe that many people on Reality TV want to appear interesting and give their professions exciting names. I'd prefer for people to be straight up about themselves. And thanks for your bio, I'm a Civil Engineer. Nothing more, nothing less. I just go to work, do my job, collect my pay and hope the world's a better place because of it. Probably not, but I hope.

And last, and probably least, thanks for letting me know that I am someone who needs to "be set straight." Thanks for the open minded approach to debating. You make your boy Bush proud.

Bla-sed: Entertained yet?

Kay, so I went a little over the top, I was in a bad mood that day!! True, there are lots of professions that you can make flowery-sounding, like calling a garbage man a "sanitation engineer"... I'll admit that, if these guys could take this long off from work, their jobs are probably not too crucial. I don't know why I picked a fight with you really, Pim... Guess I was just in a debating mood :-) I still can't see why if these were really good guys, they'd be on a TV show to meet a girl... and possibly marry her. Or they're good catches, and just want attention... which really doesn't make a good catch after all, I guess.
    I'm sorry I launched an attack... I just felt like you were putting down the guys for having successful big-name jobs. But maybe you weren't. You don't really sound like an insecure person with your last post. I'm just ... I guess, sick of this society pulling down those who have lots of success, and I felt that you were doing that. But... maybe you weren't! Whatever you meant, I'm not gonna argue anymore, I'm just gonna be a good girl and talk about Hot Hank :-)
    ~*Danielle*~
    George W. Bush 2004!!

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Hey Burberrygirl, no worries. I appreciate the fact that you're giving me the benefit of the doubt. I realize I sounded like a moron in my first post, I do that sometimes. "Set me straight" if I do it again.

By the way, I'm a married man with kids but I think Hank is dreamy too! I hope he wins.

Hey Burberrygirl, no worries. I appreciate the fact that you're giving me the benefit of the doubt. I realize I sounded like a moron in my first post, I do that sometimes. "Set me straight" if I do it again.

By the way, I'm a married man with kids but I think Hank is dreamy too! I hope he wins.
    LOL, you're cool, PIMguy. That was a little bit of the judgmentalist in me, which comes out from time to time. As you can imagine, I can't be in politics without the attitude, and the readiness to jump on an argument that I'm not sure I agree with, or an argument that has an open invitation to argue, lol!

Does your wife know about these feelings you have for Hank?
    Better yet, does Hank know about your wife?
    ~*Danielle*~
    George W. Bush 2004!!

Quote Originally Posted by wild thing
    I know JOE.....he's not a real estate developer....maybe that sounded better than loan officer - that's what he really is....He's a LOAN OFFICER.

Think about it...anyone with a great career wouldn't take off of work for a month if not more to be on a dating show...none of those guys still on the show know when they're going home...they have to be in LA until they get voted off and then can return to their jobs back at home...

What job would be o.k with...I have to go out of town for a couple of wks, maybe more depending on when I get voted off
    So the dude lied about what he does for a living? That's a big difference isn't it, between a "Real estate developer" and a Loan Officer." The first one I think of rich dude and the other $10 an hour job.

And I love what Robert does for a living - What? Super model - If he's making a lot of cash so be it, if not what's the point, besides a MASSIVE
    EGO. The only one that makes any real cash would be Ken. But he's a
    total dweep/loser.

Hook 'em Horns!
    Renda is a poet/street hustler. Is that just a fancy term for UNEMPLOYED? I know my parents would smack me upside the head if I came home telling them I was gonna marry a street hustler...geez, how shady does that sound?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12