+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voting FAQ

Voting FAQ

How do I vote?
    Each contestant will be assigned his own toll-free number and AT&T Wireless Text Messaging short code number during the show. To vote, simply watch CUPID each week on CBS and dial the toll-free phone number of the contestant for whom you wish to vote or send the word 'vote' to the relevant text message short code if you are an AT&T Wireless subscriber. Voting lines will open at the end of each show. The lines will NOT be open before that. Rules and procedures are subject to change at producer's discretion.

Who can vote?
    Anyone calling from within Continental US, Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico can cast their vote for CUPID using the toll-free numbers. AT&T Wireless subscribers from the Continental U.S., Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico can also cast votes via text message.

When can I vote?
    Voting lines for CUPID open at the end of the show each week and stay open for at least two hours, subject to time zone restrictions. Outside of these times you will hear a "fast busy" signal and your call will not count as a vote.

How much does it cost to vote?
    Telephone calls to the CUPID voting lines are toll-free. If you use a wireless phone to call the CUPID voting line, airtime and applicable roaming and long distance charges will apply. Additionally, if you vote using AT&T Wireless Text Messaging, applicable fees will apply - see Can I Vote by using my Cell Phone for more details.

Can I vote by using my cell phone?
    Yes, you can vote using your cell phone, although airtime and applicable roaming charges will apply to toll-free numbers from wireless phones. Contact your cell phone network operator if you want to know how much you will be charged. Additionally, if you vote using AT&T Wireless Text Messaging, applicable fees will apply - see How do I vote using Text Messaging for more details.

If you are calling from a cell phone and you are in a different time zone from your cell phone number, the telephone network will accept or reject your vote based on the time zone of your cell phone area code. For example, if you have a New York cell phone area code and you call to vote during the Los Angeles voting window, your vote will not be accepted, since the telephone network will record your call as coming from New York based on your cell phone area code and the New York voting window will have already closed. Try calling again from a landline telephone during the Los Angeles voting window.

I couldn't get through to the lines or all I get is a fast busy signal when I call - why?
    Although the telephone network is designed to handle huge volumes of calls simultaneously there may be times (particularly just after the show) when it will not be able to handle every single call due to the sheer volume. If you are calling during your voting window but can't get through to cast your vote, be patient and try again.

If you hear the fast busy signal, it may be that you are calling outside of the voting window. When your voting window closes each week, lines will switch from a 'thank you for voting' message to a fast busy signal.

If you are sure you are calling within your voting window but still can't get through, it may be that your local phone company has been flooded with calls. Try waiting a few minutes before calling again. If you still have problems, contact your local phone company.

If you are calling from a cell phone with an area code that is in a different time zone from that in which you are calling, the network will accept or reject your vote based on the time zone of your cell phone's area code. So, for example, if you have a New York cell phone area code but are calling to vote during the Los Angeles voting window, your vote will not be accepted, since the telephone network will record your call as coming from New York based on your cell phone area code and the New York voting window will have already closed. Try calling again from a landline phone during the Los Angeles voting window.

What will I hear if I call the toll-free numbers?
    The telephone lines open and voting begins at the end of the show each week. If you call before the end of the show, you will hear a fast busy signal and your vote will NOT count.

Voting lasts for at least two hours from the end of the show, subject to local time zone restrictions. During that time, you will hear a pre-recorded message thanking you for voting. After the close of the voting window, your vote will not be accepted and you will hear a "fast busy" signal.

How do I find out the results?
    The results will be broadcast on CBS during the following week's show. So tune in and watch how your vote affected the results! You can also find out the results the morning after the following week's broadcast by logging on to www.cbs.com/cupid

Why can't I vote via the toll-free numbers using a payphone?
    Votes from payphones will be blocked. To vote for your favorite contestant, use a standard landline telephone, cell phone or AT&T Wireless Text Messaging. Airtime and applicable roaming charges apply when using your cell phone or AT&T Wireless Text Messaging.

Voting by Text Messaging on your wireless phone - What is Text Messaging/ SMS?
    Text Messaging - sometimes known as SMS (short messaging service) - is a way of communicating short messages via your wireless phone. Most (but not all) handsets have this feature. For CUPID, only AT&T Wireless customers can vote by text message using their wireless phone keypad to write the message "VOTE" and sending it to a contestant number. The contestant number (9901 to 9910 - one short code for each of the 10 contestants) relates directly to your contestant of choice and will be displayed on the show.

How do I vote using Text Messaging?
    As with the toll-free voting, each contestant will also be assigned his own text message number during the show - this will appear on screen with the toll-free numbers. To vote by text if you are an AT&T Wireless subscriber, simply watch CUPID each week on CBS, input the word "VOTE" into your cell phone and send the message to the text number assigned to your contestant of choice. You will receive a message confirming your vote, although you will not receive the confirmation message until the following day. You will receive only one confirmation message for each contestant you vote for, regardless of how many valid votes you cast.

Text voting will open at the end of each show and stay open for at least two hours, subject to local time zone limitations. Voting will NOT be open during the show or outside the two-hour time period determined by the area code on your wireless phone. Votes sent outside of the specified time period will not be accepted. If you are sending your text vote from a wireless phone with an area code that is in a different time zone from that in which you are calling, the network will accept or reject your vote based on the time zone of your area code. So, if you have a New York cell phone area code but are voting during the Los Angeles voting window, your vote will not be accepted, since the SMS network will record your vote as coming from New York based on your cell phone area code and the New York voting window will have already closed. Try calling the toll-free number from a landline during the Los Angeles voting window instead. Charges will apply when using Text Messaging. See - How much does it cost to vote via text message?

Is the Text Messaging vote system the same as the toll-free system?
    The design of the text voting is exactly the same as the toll-free voting system in terms of open/close times, the last two digits of the phone numbers and text message numbers. If you wish to vote for contestant 2, for example, you can either call 1 866 GO FOR 02 (1 866 46367 02) OR send the text message "VOTE" to 9902.

Who can vote using Text Messaging?
    Text voting is only available to AT&T Wireless subscribers with two-way Text Messaging capable handsets. If you are an AT&T Wireless customer and wish to check if your handset has two-way text messaging capability, visit www.attwireless.com/text and go to the phone-u-lator. AT&T Wireless subscribers with area codes from within Continental US, Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico can cast their text vote. If you are not an AT&T Wireless subscriber, you can vote using the standard toll-free numbers instead.

When can I vote using Text Messaging?
    Voting for CUPID opens at the end of the show each week and will stay open for at least two hours, subject to local time zone limitations. Votes cast outside of this time period will not be accepted.

How do I know my vote has been counted when I vote using Text Messaging?
    Your message will have been counted if you vote during the valid voting window, unless your handset says "message not sent." However, to make sure the maximum number of inbound votes can be received, the system will not send out your confirmation message until the following day.

I sent 10 votes via Text Messaging, but only received one confirmation, why?
    Only one confirmation message for each contestant you vote for is sent out via Text Messaging, and not until the day after you cast your votes, regardless of how many votes are cast.

How much does it cost to vote via Text Messaging?
    The cost of voting for AT&T Wireless subscribers varies depending on your AT&T Wireless Text Messaging plan. If you do not have an AT&T Wireless Text Messaging plan, AT&T Wireless standard Text Messaging rates apply. You will be charged for each message sent from your wireless device, regardless of delivery and including invalid votes cast outside of the specified time period. See www.attwireless.com/text for details. You will not be charged to receive the "thanks for voting," or any other received messages.

When I tried to vote, my handset said "Message Not Sent" - why?
    Like the toll-free voting, while the text messaging network is designed to handle huge volumes of votes simultaneously, there may be times (particularly just after the show) when it will not be able to handle every message due to network congestion. When this happens, "message not sent" will appear on your handset. Please be patient and try again later. And, don't forget to vote within your time zone's voting window!

How do I find out the results of the vote?
    The results will be broadcast on CBS during the following week's show. So tune in and watch how your vote affected the results! You can also find out the results the morning after the following week's broadcast by logging on to www.cbs.com/cupid

Why can't I vote on the Internet?
    Only toll-free and text message voting is available for CUPID.

Why are we not told the full contestant order or percentages of votes?
    We want to ensure that the CUPID viewer experience is as enjoyable as possible; and key to that enjoyment is the weekly surprise of who stays and who goes, particularly as the show builds up to the finale. Ensuring that all results remain confidential is essential to the success of the show, which is why contestant percentages are not revealed.

Disclaimer: While the above information is true and accurate to the best of our knowledge as of the date of posting, please be advised that due to certain events not entirely within our control (e.g., production exigencies, technological problems, unforeseen circumstances, etc.), that the above information shall be subject to change at any time without further notice.

Thanks for the post on the rules.

One question--is there a limit to how many votes a person can cast from one phone, or is it just a big free-for-all where I can just keep hitting redial and cast a ton of votes for my favorite?

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm new to this whole "voting to determine someone else's future" thing :-).

I believe it's a voting free-for-all, a la AI2.

Thanks

Thanks.

Hate to admit it, 'cause I know it's sort of heretical , but I didn't watch either AI. Hence my naivete.

Helps to have seasoned pros around to guide us novices.

Ok so I haven't really been following this show too closely, but caught the 8/12 show and decided to vote via text messaging. Little did I know when I did this that my text on my phone would be ringing like crazy today at work and it completely cracked me up that the guys (yeah so I'm sure it's automated and all but hey, it said it was from them LOL) I voted for actually sent some cheesy text message back to me thanking me for the vote. If you haven't done this and you're on AT&T it's worth the laugh, I wish I would have saved them, one of them was something like "roses are red violets are blue, you voted for me and now I love you too"...they were all hilarious and a lot of fun to break up my work day (yeah, so? I'm easily amused give me a break)

+ Reply to Thread