+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kimberly & Laura - Lisa's Friends

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiesleg
    Sorry, jughead, I just scrolled over your post and didn't see that you had already answered the song question. I'm new and haven't gotten the hang of reading the post below the "quote."
    No worries! I'm fairly new here myself!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by octobergirl
    I did not like her, but I agree with the power trip part, she was making the show all about her, and not Lisa. Maybe she wishes she were the one to get the dates.....
    I think Laura is a bitch..she is downright cruel sometimes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiesleg
    This trio seem a bit naive if you ask me -- they were all enthralled with the "traders" from Chicago, but then dissed the postman who had a gambling habit (ok, he was clearly out of his league). Have they any idea that trading is basically legalized gambling? And, the majority of traders I know gamble in their personal lives as well -- because that is what they do.
    You're thinking of Daytrading, which is not what floor-traders do. Yes, some firms have fulltime departments to trading. Like gambling, trading involves a heavy jock culture; unlike gambling, the jocks are the traders since they're pretty much playing each other, and you. This is more conducive for those who talk fast and live fast to succeed, and those types tend to be testosterone prone and, demographically, gravitate toward gambling as a recreation.

Your logic also seems more than a little suspect. Drawing a parrallel from your line of reasoning, zookeepers who cleans elephant dung would scrap doggie poo in their spare time because "that is what they do"? Hence cleaning elephant dung = scraping doggie poo?

Sure, the market is as whimsical a mistress as the sea, but please show me the traders who know what the word means professionally and really think trading = gambling, and show me what dusty chest they hid their series 7 in too.

FORT Newbie

Ah yes...the science of the market...lol...

C'mon bla-sed...

There are numerous "stock picking" competitions in which the supposed experts are routinely trounced by amateurs, or even random picks. And that's just the regular market. When one get's into the highly leveraged world of options, the phrase "arbitrage" seems far more fitting than "science".

I would suggest however, that in the market (and options in particular) the trader is more closely akin to the "bookie" rather than the gambler. although there are many who blur the line.

to-tix
    (an Actuary)

ps. Haven't you ever read "Liar's Poker"?

Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    C'mon bla-sed...

There are numerous "stock picking" competitions in which the supposed experts are routinely trounced by amateurs, or even random picks. And that's just the regular market. When one get's into the highly leveraged world of options, the phrase "arbitrage" seems far more fitting than "science".

I would suggest however, that in the market (and options in particular) the trader is more closely akin to the "bookie" rather than the gambler. although there are many who blur the line.

to-tix
    (an Actuary)

ps. Haven't you ever read "Liar's Poker"?
    We're talking "Trader", not "equity analyst" "stock analyst" "gypsy" "crystal ball hawker" or any variations thereof, please get it straight. I do agree bookie is more appropriate for some firms, though.

Also note that NOWHERE in my previous post had I associated the word "science" with the market. In fact, I specifically described the culture as "jock"

As for the "stock picking" contest, most long term consistent gains like those posted by, oh, paul tudor jones, to name one, are gained from market inefficiencies in relaying information, and financial wherewithal to execute; neither of which a "name that hot stock" competition can competently reflect nor an average retail investor can replicate.

There are exceptions(like that freak whose name I can't remember and his statistical arbitrage model which changes every day), but they're "exceptions" for a reason.
    Last edited by bla-sed; 07-29-2003 at 02:31 PM.

tbeckett

Laura & Kimberly are actresses

Okay....does anyone else think that these two woman are actresses hired to "play" Lisa's best friends. I mean, c'mon, would Lisa really have friends like these two? Besides, who among us has two best friend who would be that comfortable in front of the camera and that brutal to our potential suitors. They've got to be actresses....someone, find some proof of this.

FORT Fogey
    Na I doubt it, they are just two hard and hard up to be on tv women.

FORT Regular
    If they're not yet, they will be. Finding proof would be difficult, since I suspect they'd be going by different last names at least.

I don't know if they are actresses or not, but several times last night I accused them of reading lines written for them by someone else. Maybe by Paula Abdul's writer????
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

tbeckett

Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by octobergirl
    I don't know if they are actresses or not, but several times last night I accused them of reading lines written for them by someone else. Maybe by Paula Abdul's writer????

I was thinking the very thing. I'm still convinced they are actresses reading lines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast