+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: *5/24 Show Discussion Finale* SPOILERS

The fights tonight were awesome. By the time Sergio and Peter started fighting, I decided I wanted Sergio to win. After seeing the way Peter chose to fight, I'm very glad Sergio won.

Alfonso RULES!
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Hell of a finale.

The right guy won. I usually like the smart guy more than the big "I learned a lesson" guy.

Alfonso is cool, but then again I always really liked Jessie as well. That was gonna be tough either way.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie

dang

much credit to sergio he seems like a really good guy but his in-ring persona needs a lot of work.

not only does he disrespect the sport with his antics but he also foolishly leaves himself open to danger.

i was disappointed manfredo couldn't capitalize on the few chances he had tonight...but i just said it - his chances were few and far between. he didn't have the right strategy vs. mora and he was outboxed.

i had it scored 6-1 or 5-2.

from a purist perspective it seems proper that the guy with no losses won the tourney. its just too bad i never fully warmed to him i feel like i would have been more satisfied with alfonzo, brinkley, ishe or manfredo.

but thats just all opinion like i said he seems like a good guy out of the ring hopefully his mom can relax now.

also, does anyone have a guess to what the loser (manfredo) got and what the undercard guys got?

I hope they were compensated properly because anytime you step into the ring you are effectively putting your life on the line...this isnt tennis.
    Last edited by cc24ru; 05-25-2005 at 02:05 AM.

According to this chap:
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto
    The Nevada Boxing Commission would not let the fight between ishe and brent to take place due to weight differentials.

In order to avoid a brent vs bonsante rematch, ishe and bonsante agreed to match up. In case you're interested here are the payouts for the matches:

Peter vs Sergio - Winner gets 1 million and loser gets $250,000

Jesse vs Alfonso - Both get $100,000 and winner gets an additional $100,000

Lange vs Tarik - Both get $100,000 and winner gets an additional $100,000

Ishe vs Bonsante - Bonsante gets $125,000 and Ishe gets $75,000

Jeff vs Brent - Jeff gets $75,000 and Cooper gets $25,000

Makes a good pay day for all these boxers.
    They changed fan favorite matches.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I was very happy with both of the winners tonight. I wish that I had the money to have gone to the third place fight as I would have screamed like hell for Alfonso.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'm ecstatic that Sergio won!

Manfredo looked like he got tired towards the last 3 rounds. The guy just ran out of gas. He leaned on Sergio too much, and the referee practically had to carry him to his corner at the end of the 7th round. I did fear that Manfredo would take advantage of that opening when Sergio lost focus to deal with the Manfredo corner. But Sergio held on tough. He had the stamina, energy, and determination to win in the end.

So happy that Alfonso and Jimmy Lang won their matches too.
    What was up with Bonsante picking up Ishe during their match? Did he think this was the World Wrestling or is that part of his bag of dirty boxing tricks?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cc24ru
    much credit to sergio he seems like a really good guy but his in-ring persona needs a lot of work.

not only does he disrespect the sport with his antics but he also foolishly leaves himself open to danger.
    I was really surprised how often Sergio left himself open. He would go for that one big punch, and that chin was wide open for the taking. When he gets up in the ranks, that is not going to fly. About the antics, I wasnít too crazy about that either, but it is a fight after all. I wonder what Manfredoís corner was saying to make him do that. Iím glad that Sergio immediately recognized his mistake, and apologized for it and acknowledged both Peter and his father as a great boxing team. Did you see the Mayweather Jr. fight just before the superbowl, when he was making his predictions for the NFC championships in the middle of the fight. The commentators were talking about Philly vs. Atlanta, and out of no where Mayweather leans over and says ďI like VicĒ. Now that was crazy (and funny too). One thing I didnít expect. I was kind of sad when it was over because I didnít like to see guys like Jesse get handed two loses in a row. Although I was definitely pulling for Alfonso, I really felt bad for Jesse. I felt bad for Brent Cooper. I felt bad Tarek. I was happy to see Bonsante lose again though =) . Anyway, when I watch a fight Iím use to rooting for one guy, and I usually donít care too much about the guy that loses. This was a little different. I guess you could call it bittersweet.
    Last edited by pablodel; 05-25-2005 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Forgot something

FORT Regular
    The Contender was a good show that I really enjoyed. Sunday evening timeslot was very inconvenient. I missed a couple of fights. I will buy the DVD when it is out. Sly and SugarRay could have been more interesting. But the show is about the contenders. Jesse and Alfonso were my favorites. Congratulations to Sergio and I am very happy for his mother.

I was so geeked watching this show, especially last night!

I'm so happy Sergio won ... I love it when he told his mother she doesn't have to work again, so sweet!!

I'm going to miss the show, I hope they reconsider another season.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

FORT Newbie
    Yay! Sergio wonn! =P=P

+ Reply to Thread