+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's official - no second season

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Imagine 12 boxers all vying for control at the competitions because, from Day One, they could be either matchmakers or selecting themselves to fight. That would draw the "We like reality drama" crowd.
    Also, instead of having the final two battle it out, why not an honest-to-goodness championship fight? The last man standing in the reality show would face a champion in his weight class, live. This would be so compelling that it would no doubt draw viewers; after all, who doesn't want to see an underdog rise to the top and possibly beat a champion? (See: Rocky II.)
    Phat, these two are really good ideas. I don't really like the "women" boxing idea too much because there will probably be unnecessary drama and turn the show into a "typical" reality TV show.

I hope Burnett reads your post.

ETA: I should add that as much as I would like to see a real "honest-to-goodness" fight I don't know what incentives could be provided to motivate a current champion with nothing to gain.
    Last edited by EXlurker; 05-22-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Wow I was so hoping it would come back, because the show isn't really all about boxing it's about peoples dreams and family lifes. What these men have went through to get where they are. It's sad it isn't coming back. I hope all the men will make it far in whatever they choose to do
    SmiLeyGuRL

FORT Newbie
    pablodel, like you, I've been a boxing fan for quite a few years now. I loved how you described boxing and what makes us watch it. Most people are surprised to find out what an enthusiast I am, (I guess because I'm a woman) but if you newer boxing fans could watch one REALLY good fight, then you would be hooked for life. It isn't all about the 'beating the crap' out of each other, it's about seeing what it takes to win. I keep HBO & Showtime for the boxing matches, and for no other reason, and I don't buy the PPV, but I wait and catch them in replays. If any of you caught the Diego Corrales vs. Jose Luis Castillo fight, you would see what I speak of. I think you would have had to have killed one of those guys to get them to stop the fight. At the end, I was jumping and screaming at my tv, so excited at the show of heart and guts I was watching!
    I see a lot of that spirit in Alfonso, and I think we will be seeing a lot more of him. I don't think we will see a super exciting fight tonight (I could be wrong here), because I think Sergio will fight smart and will keep out of firing range of Peters power shots. Peter will have to be the aggressor tonight, and if Sergio fights back, this could be exciting.
    I for one would like to see one of the lighter weight classes have a Contender show. The featherweight fights are usually pretty active, and they don't tend to tire like the heavy weights, so that could be interesting. I hope that ESPN or HBO or Shobox sees the potential the fans see and pick up this show....I'll be sad to see it come to an end.

If you like Alfonso, you have to watch Eric Morales or Marco Antonio Barrera fight. If you like Peter, then you must watch Arturo Gatti fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. next month. Even though Gatti is going to lose, you will see the heart of a lion and a man that will not give up for 12 whole rounds. Anyway, even if the show doesn’t get picked up next year, it is nice to see all the new fans, and it is possible with all the popularity that you just might make a second Contender a reality. The new boxing fans are the true tribute to the show. Welcome to the sport!!!

QUOTE]
    ABSOLUTELY! I'm a boxing enthusiast, and this is absolutely correct. Alphonso is very similar to Morales and Barrera - Mexican boxers are tough, lots of heart - and don't cut easy!!! Although, Peter isn't nearly the banger that Gatti is... he's more of what I call a "slowburner". Almost more like a Micky Ward style (when he's not fighting Gatti!). I'm thinking that this show will only introduce new fans to boxing and help "clean up" the sport with these new fans by introducing these new "up and coming" boxers and giving a new fan base, a new group to watch. Did you notice how Stallone kept pushing "rematch" issues between them all? And - FYI: Most of them have fought each other prior to the Contender. I know Peter fought someone, I think Bosante right before the Contender started; and Ishe Smith and someone else had fought previously as well. Contender was good for boxing, it was great for TV, and I truly hope they bring it back!

To make a mistake is human, to stumble is commonplace, but to laugh at yourself...that is maturity

FORT Newbie

Crap!

THis was the only reality show i watched. I hope this thing get's picked up by another station. Perhaps ESPN or something. These was the best. You got the sense you really got to know some of these kids...and felt for their losses.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca F
    If you like Alfonso, you have to watch Eric Morales or Marco Antonio Barrera fight. If you like Peter, then you must watch Arturo Gatti fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. next month. Even though Gatti is going to lose, you will see the heart of a lion and a man that will not give up for 12 whole rounds. Anyway, even if the show doesn’t get picked up next year, it is nice to see all the new fans, and it is possible with all the popularity that you just might make a second Contender a reality. The new boxing fans are the true tribute to the show. Welcome to the sport!!!
    i will be at that Gatti fight. Ever since i saw Gatti against his first fight with Micky, i loved this guy. He didn't seem like a great fighter at the time, but man, the guy has heart..and he's just a machine..capable of taking punishment like i have never seen.

Mayweather is the favorite, but gatti can go the distance take a beating...and if it goes the distance, there's a chance of an upset.

FORT Newbie
    Wednesday, May 25 2005

Due to popular demand, Contender Partners will keep the Independence Day holiday going on Tuesday, July 5, with a night of boxing, at a Las Vegas site to be determined, featuring the stars of the boxing reality series "The Contender." Likely to compete on this card, which will be held at a Las Vegas site to be determined, will be the final four participants of "The Contender": Jesse Brinkley, Alfonso Gomez, Peter Manfredo Jr., and series champion Sergio Mora. "There is an overwhelming demand for this show and these fighters all over the world," said Mark Burnett. "We are incredibly excited to be able to bring you more championship boxing from "The Contender" so quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by farseer
    Wednesday, May 25 2005

Due to popular demand, Contender Partners will keep the Independence Day holiday going on Tuesday, July 5, with a night of boxing, at a Las Vegas site to be determined, featuring the stars of the boxing reality series "The Contender." Likely to compete on this card, which will be held at a Las Vegas site to be determined, will be the final four participants of "The Contender": Jesse Brinkley, Alfonso Gomez, Peter Manfredo Jr., and series champion Sergio Mora. "There is an overwhelming demand for this show and these fighters all over the world," said Mark Burnett. "We are incredibly excited to be able to bring you more championship boxing from "The Contender" so quickly."

Where did you get this info?

FORT Newbie
    Here's the link:

http://www.boxingtalk.net/pages/free3821.htm

But this is kinda dumb...I don't want to see jesse fight again. I would rather see a match up of say Ishe vs Alfonso. I only think seeing either Manfredo, Alfonso, Sergio or Ishe would be entertaining....

Even a Sergio vs Ishe rematch would be good...where we can see every round. I honestly think that that fight was rigged and ishe deserves a rematch.

I'm another female fan of boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca F
    I know Peter fought someone, I think Bosante right before the Contender started; and Ishe Smith and someone else had fought previously as well.
    Can't remember if Peter fought Bonsante, but Ishe fought Alfonso. He is the one that said Peter will underestimate Alfonso like he (Ishe) did. I think Ishe had lost to Alfonso.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast