+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's official - no second season

FORT Regular
    This is so much better than most other reality tv shows out there. It's a shame it's not returning. I dont watch survivor, amazing race, nor any other reality tv show except fear factor. I wish at least joe schmo 3 comes out. Im thinking it wont come out either.

What a disappointment! I don't understand the whole ratings thing, but everyone I know has been watching the show. My girlfriend and I weren't ever boxing fans, but this show really sucked me in.
    All that was talked about at work Monday mornings was the fight from Sunday night....what a bummer.

Maybe instead of being in the fall, it will start in January - just in time to make May Sweeps, like this time. It's been such a success for them, I'd be quite surprised if they didn't continue it.

Could be a teaser to really get ratings...
    To make a mistake is human, to stumble is commonplace, but to laugh at yourself...that is maturity

I like the show too...I hope you're right Rebecca F because I'd continue to watch it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

FORT Regular
    Maybe since finale will be on tuesday there will be many people watching the show. I kinda liked sunday, cause you dont work that day, or such and can watch it every time.

I think an overriding problem with the show was that boxing itself has been so smeared in the last ten years or so that something like this suffered for it.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Newbie

New boxing fans - How many?

I wanted to post this as a new thread, but I canít. Iím guessing because I just registered today. Anyway, I was flipping through some of these posts and I thought it was so cool to see all the new fans to boxing. Many of you admitted you didnít know much about boxing, but you really enjoyed the show. I have been a big boxing fan for many years, and I think it is awesome that many of you are getting the chance to see what boxing is really about. It is about heart. It is about the spirit of competition. It is the sweet science, not just two guys trying to bash each otherís heads in. Look at a smart boxer like Sergio, who was able to make Ishe basically beat himself. These are likeable characters, and they are real people. This is not WWF, nor is it ultimate fighting. This is a sport where you donít necessarily have to be the biggest or strongest, just faster and smarter, with a good defense plan. That is the beauty of it. Sergio will probably win because he can slip punches better than any of them, and he can hit pretty hard too, but Peter has that heart of a lion that keeps people watching. Jesse is a hard hitter too, but he almost lost against Anthony, and if Anthony was a little smarter, he would have kept his hands closer in and not set up that huge uppercut. I have HBO just for the boxing because the movies they show usually stink. If you like Alfonso, you have to watch Eric Morales or Marco Antonio Barrera fight. If you like Peter, then you must watch Arturo Gatti fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. next month. Even though Gatti is going to lose, you will see the heart of a lion and a man that will not give up for 12 whole rounds. Anyway, even if the show doesnít get picked up next year, it is nice to see all the new fans, and it is possible with all the popularity that you just might make a second Contender a reality. The new boxing fans are the true tribute to the show. Welcome to the sport!!!

GO SERGIO!!!!!

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pablodel
    Anyway, I was flipping through some of these posts and I thought it was so cool to see all the new fans to boxing. Many of you admitted you didnít know much about boxing, but you really enjoyed the show. I have been a big boxing fan for many years, and I think it is awesome that many of you are getting the chance to see what boxing is really about. It is about heart. It is about the spirit of competition. It is the sweet science, not just two guys trying to bash each otherís heads in. Look at a smart boxer like Sergio, who was able to make Ishe basically beat himself. These are likeable characters, and they are real people. This is not WWF, nor is it ultimate fighting. This is a sport where you donít necessarily have to be the biggest or strongest, just faster and smarter, with a good defense plan.
    That is a great description of what I loved about the Contender! And why I believe Alfonso should still be in this competition. Gawd do I miss him!

Quote Originally Posted by pablodel
    Anyway, even if the show doesnít get picked up next year, it is nice to see all the new fans, and it is possible with all the popularity that you just might make a second Contender a reality. The new boxing fans are the true tribute to the show. Welcome to the sport!!
    While I am not sure the sport of boxing will keep me watching, since I don't like seeing people beat up each other, If I were to get a chance to see some of these guys fight outside of the show, I would make an attempt to watch. To me, the guys and their life stories is what drew me in.

FORT Regular
    There is a lack of boxing on tv. I never knew about either of these boxers that are on contender yet many of them had faught previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca F
    Maybe instead of being in the fall, it will start in January - just in time to make May Sweeps, like this time. It's been such a success for them, I'd be quite surprised if they didn't continue it.

Could be a teaser to really get ratings...
    I hope you're right.

I think the show has potential, and one thing that I would do if I had creative say-so would be to introduce individual challenges much earlier and do away with that inane "team competition" altogether.

Imagine 12 boxers all vying for control at the competitions because, from Day One, they could be either matchmakers or selecting themselves to fight. That would draw the "We like reality drama" crowd.

If there is a second season (and my gut tells me there won't be), I wouldn't go with a middleweight class. The guys on this season have been marketed as "the best unknown middleweights in the country." How would you feel if you were selected for The Contender 2 in a middleweight category? "Wait, I'm with the second-best middleweights in the country?!"

With the popularity of women's boxing on the rise, a show featuring all women may be interesting. It would give women's boxing a little bump, and it could draw young male viewers. A win-win in either case.

Also, instead of having the final two battle it out, why not an honest-to-goodness championship fight? The last man standing in the reality show would face a champion in his weight class, live. This would be so compelling that it would no doubt draw viewers; after all, who doesn't want to see an underdog rise to the top and possibly beat a champion? (See: Rocky II.)

Hey, NBC! Hey, Burnett! Call me, baby!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast