+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 5/1 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

And what about the weight problems that arise next week?
    I'm so acrophobic, I fainted when I first tried on a pair of socks.

Standard number of rounds for world championship level fighting is 12 rounds. Fighters just entering the game tend to fight 4 or 6 round fights. I think the they fight 5 rounds on The Contender because time considerations. I personally also like the fact that it forces the boxers to come out swinging as you can't let anyone get a few rounds in the bank trying to feel him out.

Joey is a game fighter but I couldn't imagine him winning it all. His defense is pretty bad and sooner or later leading with your head would have led to someone knocking him into next week. Manfredo was whipping him pretty bad in the first 2 rounds before he ran out of gas and was working on fumes. Then again maybe as most of these guys are not really big punchers.

Quote Originally Posted by SquallRealm
    And Jesse is talking so much trash about every single person.. First he does not call Ishe out which already in my mind makes him a coward. then he keeps on talking trash how joey is the coward for wanting anthony so he will take him instead.
    It wasn't lost on me that he is probably the biggest coward of the bunch. He didn't like Ishe but instead of taking him out himself he throws him in with Sergio. I knew as soon as he won the weekly contest there was no way he wasn't going to keep Bonsante for himself given his injury. I'm rooting for Alfonso and Sergio, but really anybody but Jessie.

FORT Newbie
    I love how Jesse tried to justify his choice by saying he wanted to make sure Joey "earned" his way into the third round.

Joey beat someone the other boxers were afraid of, and did it while injured!

Jesse fought someone way past his prime for his first win, and will be fighting an injured guy next week.

FORT Newbie

i am very angry joey had to go.. Manfredo was extremely exhausted in the final round and joey was putting on the heat with powerful japs and right hooks.. i think the reason judges called it on menfredo is because of the first impressions on the 1st round.

I disagree. Peter was dominating that last round. He did not look exhausted in any sense. If they scored the fifth round, it wouldn't have been a split decision. It would have went to Manfredo.

Also, The reason the judges decided in manfredo's favor was due to him scoring more points in the rounds he won. He absolutely dominated the first two rounds with relatively no shots being taken. Joey's two rounds weren't as one sided. That's how the scorecard works.

FORT Newbie
    Edit: I didn't know they scored the fifth round as well. I didn't remember it being the length it was. Reviewing it definitely puts Manfredo atop for the overall scoring. The beginning of the third round Manfredo was all over Joey. The only round Joey dominated was the fourth. It just further solidifies the decision.

FORT Newbie
    The fights are edited to tell a story.....in this case, one of Joey being destroyed in the first 2 rounds but then coming back in 3 and 4. That isn't necessarily how the actual fight went down. In Trainer Tommy's commentary on the website, he actually gives round 2 to Joey, which helps explain why there was a split decision.

FORT Fogey
    i am very angry joey had to go...
    Good riddance to that guy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456