+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 4/10 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mis
    Is Joey gonna get pummeled next week?
    Joey, in my opinion, could be a considerable underrated person. He is a good athelete and does quite well in the challenges.

I wouldn't count him out.

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason
    A good fight between two men (and I repeat TWO MEN) unlike that punk Anthony who should be ashamed of himself for acting like a scary cat last week. Congrats to both. This is what I needed after last week.
    - those are my thoughts as well, especially about Anthony!

De La Rosa must be tough as nails because I saw him taking a lot of face shots but in the end he didn't look that beat up at all! I bruised just watching the fight!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

A few thoughts:

Last night's fight was good, but I'm starting to agree with some of the others who say the shooting sucks. The slow-mo punches might look cool, but the 10 second rounds, with 2/3 of that footage being of the crowd is just freaking obnoxious.

I must be pumped up from all the raw energy that came through my TV the other night during the Ultimate Finale, but the Contender is really starting to suck in my book. I still want to see who wins, but I'm so over it.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    I always pick the wrong winner! I think I've picked one fight correctly! I mean, before the fight, not three rounds in, by that time even I know I've picked the wrong horse. The only fight I was correct about was Ishe/Ahmed... As ridiculous as Ishe is now acting I still like him, because he beat that guy. I didn't see the first episode but I probably would have picked Alfredo and had two wins on my record.

Anyhoo, last night I picked Tarick ( yum) as the winner, so of course I was wrong. I really think that Juan is a supremely inexperienced fighter that an experienced fighter can easily overcome. The problem is that these 5 round fights favor fighters like Juan. I am anxious to see him fight someone in top form. I officially do not like him. I hated the obnoxious little teasing he did at the end of the 4th (?) round, he ain't all that!!! Ugh.
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 04-11-2005 at 12:22 PM.
    Could does not mean should

FORT Newbie
    This is the first time I've ever watched any sort of boxing with this show (ya.... squeamish girly-girl.....), but aren't the points awarded for form as well as punches landed? I couldn't believe that Juan won in unanimous decision based on his 'arms flying' type of boxing. He didn't look technical at all. As soon as he is paired with any of the boxers we have seen so far, he will be done for.
    I'm really enjoying this show.
    Though I too think the challenges are pointless, I think they are used more as a chance for the guys to work together as a team than to actually accomplish anything. Having said that, I think they should've reconsidered putting these types of physical challenges as part of the competition. I never really thought of them as dangerous until Ishe tossed those last two blocks and then fell down. I totally thought he ruptured something.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I'm not a big boxing fan so I'm confused about the 'hugging' (for lack of a better word)that goes on during a fight. It seemed to happen quite a bit during this last fight. Is that a way for the boxers to catch a breath? I remember hearing either Sugar Ray or Stallone yelling to box out of it, but I don't understand why they do that.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realityluver
    I'm not a big boxing fan so I'm confused about the 'hugging' (for lack of a better word)that goes on during a fight. It seemed to happen quite a bit during this last fight. Is that a way for the boxers to catch a breath? I remember hearing either Sugar Ray or Stallone yelling to box out of it, but I don't understand why they do that.
    Just some innocent man-love, that's all.

Clinching (or hugging, hehe) in boxing has a number of purposes. Sometimes you're too close to your opponent and you don't want to step back and risk getting hit. Sometimes you're tired and need a rest. Sometimes you might miss a punch and find yourself in an awkward position. Sometimes your opponent is pummeling you and the only way to stop it is to grab him. I've also seen boxers use it to tire their opponent (I think Ali did this alot, he would lean on the other guy with all his weight). Tarick was also using the old trick of putting his hand around the opponent's neck and pushing down. It tires the opponent if he choses to resist and also frustrates him. Mike Tyson even used it to bite his opponent's ear. The point is you have little chance of getting hit and you know you will get a clean break (meaning your opponent isn't allowed to hit you) from the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by realityluver
    I just had to laugh at the "hugging" word
    but PIMguy explained it perfectly
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Thanks for the explanation PIMguy!

Quote Originally Posted by DezBelle
    I just had to laugh at the "hugging" word
    but PIMguy explained it perfectly
    I just couldn't think of any other way of describing what it looked like.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

The fight between Tarick and Juan had some of the sloppiest fighting I've seen so far (in this show). Juan was just flailing his arms around and throwing crazy , but strong, punches. Tarick didn't step it up, so he deserves to lose to the inexperienced Juan.

With Joey's dad coming from the war, and with him being called the weakest fighter, Joey might just get the motivation he needs to beat Jimmy. Although, I have to say that I'm rooting for Jimmy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567