+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/20 Recap: Najai Turpin

Like other have stated, you handled this recap with just the right amount of seriousness and wit. Job well done, phat.

At the risk of sounding redundant, you rock. You treated this with great sensitivity and still made it interesting, informative, and humorous. Great work, phatalicious.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Well, let me just add, "ditto." While watching the show, I actually thought how tough it might be to recap, because of the subject matter, but I should not have concerned myself. You did an amazing job, Phat.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Excellent job, Phat . . . you handled a very difficult episode extremely well. Just another testament to your talent as a writer, m'friend! Wonderful job!

Even though it was tough subject matter, you still managed to bring the funny, for I simply could not stop laughing at this segment:

Back in his room, Mora gives a disjointed talk about Oscar Wilde.

"I could give you a book..." he trails off. Well, that's good, because Wilde wrote a bunch of them.

Then he talks about Emerson, Thoreau and Nietzsche, calling the latter "another crazy bastard."

Well, thank you, Professor Mora.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Allow me briefly to step out of my role as writer and talk about this episode of The Contender.
    Thank you so much for your thoughts and observations. Very sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    It's hard, if not impossible, to approach this episode without thinking about Najai Turpin's suicide in February.

Morbid curiosity aside, the story of Sergio Mora and Najai Turpin is an interesting one because of the fighters' eagerness, almost desperation, to offer their families a better way of life through their boxing in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat32
    Don't Let the Kaddour Hit You on the Way Out
    Hilarious!!!

Sergio tells his mother that he has a bond with the other fighters and while he wants to win, he's cheering for Najai, too. He realizes the irony.
    You want me to cry now? I loved this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Najai
    Najai says of his girlfriend and daughter: "If I die today or tomorrow, they would have nothing."

"I've got a lot of pain, and I'm going to bring it to whoever I fight."
    It's hard to separate those statements from what we know of Turpin's tragic end.
    AWWWWW.

Phat, I am so glad that you are writing again for the FORT. You handled this episode with grace and sensitivity, and I thank you for your wonderful recap.

It's a nice moment that represents the relationship between the fighters in The Contender.
    And this is exactly why I love this show. Boxing is not a sport I would normally watch. The humans behind this drama is what brings me back week after week, and why I cannot choose a favorite. I like most of the fighters, with the exception being Ahmed Khaddour.

I heartly agree with everyone else, a perfect review of this episode.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12