+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mainstream Star?

FORT Newbie

Mainstream Star?

Any thoughts on what the star power of the winner of this show will be? In most reality shows the winner goes from completely unknown and get their 15 minutes of fame before returning their regular daily lives albeit richer.
    This show is a different because they are already profesional athletes and in some cases like Ishe Smith, and Peter Manfredo Jr. they are known worldwide. Those guys have been the main event on Showtime and ESPN. We don't know if Manfredo is coming back but if he or Smith win this show would they become huge mainstream stars with a mucher larger fan following? They are only going to get more exposure and will continue to fight on television.
    Unlike any other reality show the winner is going to benefit more by what happens after the show. Any thoughts?

Considering this show will likely be cancelled before it even finishes its run, I doubt that anyone's going to get famous from it.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    I'm not sure anyone's going to get famous from this show, but I think this show will have some small effect on boxing.

I'm not a boxing fan. I've gotten into Olympic boxing sometimes, but in general I don't follow the sport unless there's a big fight with a lot of hype. Judging from my family, this show might be building a following. I had no interest in watching a show about boxers/boxing. But my husband turned it on. I was doing something else and not really paying attention to the first part of the show, but somewhere around the middle of the first show, got hooked. My graduate student son called and asked if we were watching this show. I doubt if he had seen a boxing match in his life before this. He had been studying in his room, went to the kitchen for a snack, and went into the living room to eat it where one of his roommates was watching The Contender. He's hooked. My 80-something mother called and she found the show by accident too and loves it. So the fact that I'm watching (plus two other non-boxing-fan family members) means that the boxing fan base will be increased by some small amount. I know I'm going to be paying attention in the future when I hear about one of these guys fighting.

A lot of these guys seem to be thoughtful, decent guys. That's a plus for the image of boxing (anything to counter the Mike Tyson association).

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Considering this show will likely be cancelled before it even finishes its run, I doubt that anyone's going to get famous from it.
    not only will this show stay on, it will be back next season
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

Quote Originally Posted by Newsman
    Any thoughts on what the star power of the winner of this show will be? In most reality shows the winner goes from completely unknown and get their 15 minutes of fame before returning their regular daily lives albeit richer.
    This show is a different because they are already profesional athletes and in some cases like Ishe Smith, and Peter Manfredo Jr. they are known worldwide. Those guys have been the main event on Showtime and ESPN. We don't know if Manfredo is coming back but if he or Smith win this show would they become huge mainstream stars with a mucher larger fan following? They are only going to get more exposure and will continue to fight on television.
    Unlike any other reality show the winner is going to benefit more by what happens after the show. Any thoughts?
    I think the winner and even the runner up might get a tittle shot out of this..
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DezBelle
    Yeah, I hope so. I'm surprised it's not doing as well as it should. Give it one episode and you're hooked. It's much better than Oscar's boxing reality show.

I agree with the fact that you do not have to be a boxing fan to get pulled into the drama of this show. I too found it by accident that first night, was packing to move, and about half hour into it, forgot about everything else and just started watching. Now, I worked at a small time boxing gym doing some PR stuff in my sleepy little town for a year, but in no way would I consider myself a boxing fan. However, watching this show, captivated me. The only cheesy part is the challenge that takes up about 5 minutes of the show, the rest seems to be pure drama and action.
    With all of the money and big names behind this, I truly expect it to run it's full season and pick up a fan base along the way. They are certainly not lacking for commercial dollars, as there were an abundance of these during the first 3 shows that I watched. I only hope the network gives it enough time to catch on.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by DezBelle
    Only if the ratings pick up. It's not looking too good right now.

This show is actually reminding me what I liked about watching boxing when I was a kid. I have to admit I haven't been a big fan of the Big name boxers since the Mike Tyson Era began. Thank God it's over. So, I think the contestants on this show who last for a while or make a big impression will benefit from having done this show. There's something about getting a chance to see these men interact with their families that endearing. As a female fan of boxing, that just makes me like them more. So, it may not win more of the traditional boxing fans attention. But for those of us who love reality TV and grow to enjoy these characters, we'll be looking out to support these guys after the show.

+ Reply to Thread