+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contender Takes A Beating

Contender Takes A Beating

March 9, 2005 -- THE premiere of NBC's boxing reality show, "The Contender," was KO'd Monday night by CBS.
    The premiere of the Mark Burnett/Sly Stallone show averaged only 8.1 million viewers from 9:35 to 11 p.m. to finish nearly 12 million viewers behind the CBS combination of "Two and a Half Men" and "CSI: Miami."

"The Contender" did, however, win its timeslot in men 18-34 and beat ABC's reality shows ("Boss Swap" and "Supernanny") in the coveted adults 18-49 demo, according to overnight Nielsen numbers.

The show, hosted by Stallone, returns with a new episode tomorrow at 10 p.m. (Ch. 4) in the usual "ER" slot before moving into its regular timeslot this Sunday at 8 p.m.

Burnett, the man behind "Survivor" and "The Apprentice" will executive-produce two upcoming shows featuring Martha Stewart including a spinoff of "The Apprentice."
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/42105.htm

Not a lot of people like to watch hour and a half shows. They probably did better when the first half hour was over when people expected it on. I'm just guessing. I stopped watching it to watch the Inferno II. If Fear Factor was just one hour like it used to be all the time I would've been happy to watch the whole hour of Contender. I liked what I saw, as it seems like a good show.

I saw this show last night for the first time, and I think it's a complete miss. First off, the challenges seem to be fairly insignificant, don't they? It seems like each fighter will need to fight at least once, so what's the big deal? That's roughly 20 minutes of television time that has no point. And also, Sly really doesn't add much. His constant mumbling is cool in movies, but not on television. And finally, unlike The Apprentice, you really don't have a sense of who the contestants are. The scenes with their families all seem generic and lumped together. I'd be shocked if this show ends up doing well.

Who knows, maybe it will do better once it settles into it's regular Sunday timeslot. Regardless, I think Torpedo is right - shows that are over an hour long can feel painfully long to sit through. I really liked last night's show as it was just one hour.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I finally had a chance to watch this show and I really liked it- one of my favorites now. I like the fact that these are professional boxers, and not Hollywood wannabes. It says a lot when they get more excited to see Sugar Ray and Foreman over Stallone. I didn't think the scenes with the families were "generic and lumped together," I actually felt more connected after viewing their interactions. The challenges and format is perfect. I'm so sick of shows that let teams "vote" someone off. I'm surprised that this show isn't doing as well as it should be. It's really well made.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    It came in third against re-runs...?

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    It's a shame that this show isn't doing better. The show is well-made and shows a lot of dynamics between the fighters, and with their families. Some people don't like the editing of the fights, but I don't mind it. I expect that an unedited version will be on the DVD, and hope that people will check out the DVD.

Honestly, I think it's just that many people aren't into boxing and won't watch a show about it.

The broccoli must die! gazelem67's Avatar
    I don't like boxing -- at all.

I am not a rabid fan of reality shows (meaning I don't watch every reality show that comes on).

I like Contender. It's too bad it's not doing better. The problem they have is getting across the point that the show isn't about boxing, but about the boxers. It's got good stories and background behind the fighters and you really find yourself rooting for them for reasons that have nothing to do with what kind of fighters they are.

That's a good thing. I just don't know how Burnett & co. can get past the bias inherent with it appearing to be a sport's show.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Barmack
    I saw this show last night for the first time, and I think it's a complete miss. First off, the challenges seem to be fairly insignificant, don't they? It seems like each fighter will need to fight at least once, so what's the big deal? That's roughly 20 minutes of television time that has no point. And also, Sly really doesn't add much. His constant mumbling is cool in movies, but not on television. And finally, unlike The Apprentice, you really don't have a sense of who the contestants are. The scenes with their families all seem generic and lumped together. I'd be shocked if this show ends up doing well.
    The challenges decide from which team the challenger will be. Plus, the challenges provides the variety to keep viewers tuned in every week.

So, in classic Mark Burnett format...
    1. Repercussions of last battle.
    2. Reward challenge if any. (What will the challenge be? What is the reward?)
    3. Winning team savor their reward.
    4. Challenge determining which challenger will be. (What will the challenge be? "I can't believe East lost again!")
    5. The fighters have their family time.
    6. The fighters fight.
    7. Losing fighter hangs his gloves and leave.
    8. End credits. Post-fight analysis by Stallone and co.

I missed the first episode but I caught some of episode 2. I'm not a big boxing fan, nor am I, by any stretch of the imagination, a Stallone fan, but I found the show fairly compelling. It definately has Burnett's signature style and I think he does make the best reality shows (TAR excepted of course). I could do without the family drama, that's boring to me, but I like the editing in the fights. Very cinematographic (if that's a word). In fact the whole show benefits from Burnett's trademark editing. He builds a story with conflict and a satisfying conclusion. Depending on its eventual time slot, I'll watch it again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast