+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contender Takes A Beating

FORT Newbie
    OK. I am a Apprentice guy. When I first saw the ads, I thought no way that I would watch this. Then I heard the great review of the first episode on radio. I decided to check it out. Caught half of the second episode. Not bad, I thought. Then I watched most of the third episode. Yes, the team thing is kind of lame. Boxing is an individual sport, but then this is a TV show. But the fights are so great and so exciting that they make the board room battles like Micky Mouse. I like it!

I hope this show does well in the long run. I know several people who have started watching the show just recently. My parents are an example. They are two people whom I never would have considered the type to watch the Contender, but they caught the last episode and loved it. I myself love boxing, but had initially had no desire or plan to watch it, but happened upon it one night on CNBC and have watched it since.

John M.
    It makes no difference about the ratings, the show's going to be on until they crown a winner.

Keep holding onto that thought, and maybe it will come true. I doubt it, though.

NBC doesn't have a good track record for sticking with dogs. And this one's barking loudly.

Well, NBC finished fourth again this Sunday with the Contender. Also, NBC is down like 9 points I think from its viewership last year in this timeslot.

I hope what John says isn't true. I understand no second season, but I think there's enough of us to pull it through the season. If not, at the very least, they better give us the final fight.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I am sure that they will give us the final fight, I don't see how they can't, I am sure everything is all set up already.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

this show is about as exciting so far as the "historic" nbc olympic tri-cast, with athelete mini-biopics. Even the ultimate fighter is better.

Strange. If I had to guess, and that's all it is, I would say that the move to Sunday hurt the show when viewers either forgot about it or couldn't find it, but its ratings improved after fans told friends and family. But that's just a guess.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

This isn't a bad show, IMO. It pulls at the heartstrings pretty well. And I enjoy boxing. I hope it will get it's full run, and we get to see that final fight.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I hope it will get it's full run, and we get to see that final fight.
    I know it, Mr.D. Not seeing the fight would be a little too much like sitting through the two-hour presentation on condo timeshares and not getting the 13" Daewoo TV they promised you for attending.

I have a feeling that if the show had been a huge hit, the last fight would have been show in its entirety, during a primo primetime slot and advertised like hell in the week leading up to it. Ah well.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast