+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fan
    That fight was better than most 50 dollar fights you will pay for. Much better than a Tyson fight.

It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be and light years better than Oscar's knockoff that was on Fox. Sort of like the difference between eating at an expensive 3 star restaurant and grabbing a bite at Taco Bell. I'll definitely watch the next couple of episodes to see how it progresses.

I was definitely impressed. I'll be sticking around for a few more episodes. Anyone notice the Rocky-esque style of the bout? I thought that was a nice added touch. All we need now is Clubber Lang to make an appearance and we're set!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    All we need now is Clubber Lang to make an appearance and we're set!

Oh. My.

Wow, those first two rounds spun me right round.

Side topic, is this the best place for a five year old girl?

Strong words from Stallone at the end. Very interesting.
    Last edited by corprip; 03-07-2005 at 11:59 PM.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mis
    I registered specifically to discuss this show. I really liked it. I don't even LIKE boxing, but they did some good promotional work for it so I though, meh, let me check it out.

I was rooting for Alfonso to win cuz of the underdog factor, but felt bad for Peter after he lost. Most everyone on the show was looking at Peter to win; maybe that guy (forgot his name) was right about East boxers not having as good competition to fight? I dunno.
    Same here. I registered to post about this show. It was awesome. I was really into that fight, and Alfonso is a real champ. Much props to him for taking on such a big challenge and coming through.

If it keeps up like this it's going to be one great series.

FORT Newbie
    This show was waaaaay better than I expected. I'll definately keep watching.

Pretty smart of them to keep the fights to 5 rounds, doesn't leave the fighters much time to just "box" and go slow. Also using 158 pounders instead of heavier guys means faster pace fights.

Mis
    Miss Misfit
    ha, ecchichuu, it was that good to wanna discuss, right? I didn't even think I'd really get into it, but it surprisingly sucked me in already.

SnowflakeGirl & Siryn, thanks for the welcomes. =)

corprip - lol, I thought the same thing about your side note. It's like, 'hey let's go watch daddy get punched in the face'.

What what Stallone's message at the end though? Maybe I missed that.
    Last edited by Mis; 03-08-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Wow. This show turned out to be great. I never watched De La Joya's boxing reality show, because the previews were just so cold. The previews for "The Contender" are what got me to watch it. They were heart-warming, and they presented the fighters as real people fighting for something they believed.

It was great watching all the guys sizing each other up in the beginning. Ahmed sure looked like he came right out of the Miami Vice show or Hollywood as Stallone called him.

I had heard of Peter Manfredo Jr , so I knew he would be one of the best ones in the lot. I didn't expect him to fight tonight since he's got an undefeated record. Boy, what a surprise it was, even for Stallone & Leonard, when Alfonso called him out. That was a gutsy moved by Alfonso.

I was a little nervous for both fighters, because both of them were tought during the sparrings. The fight was electrifying. Better than some of the HBO or other professional fights. I loved Alfonso's confidence, so I was rooting for him in a way. But I also loved Peter. They guy has some power to his punches, but unfortunately, Alfonso was fighting with heart tonight, and he got the best of Peter.
    It's sad, because I wanted both fighters to do well. It was too early for Peter to leave, but Alfonso took a big risk, and he came out ahead. He is definitely thinking like a champ.

Stallone said it best, 'you'll be rooting for all of them', and he's probably right. Most of them have gone through some kind of hardship to get where they are. I'm just hoping the 18year old, Juan, doesn't get hurt. He seems out of his league, but then again, I have never seen him fight. He might just knock the big tough guys down.

On a side note, I agree with the rest of you in that the little girl should not have been there. She might get traumatized watching daddy getting knocked around.

I thought this was a good show too. I hope they dont cancel it on us or I'll be fighting mad !!

But, in true Mark Burnett fashion we were showed the most footage of Peter Manfredo and his background/family interaction so I had a feeling that he'd be fighting. Then when the yellow team selected Alfonso we only got to see a little of his background/family interaction so I sort of figured Peter would lose. But, given that everyone was saying how good Peter was I thought maybe the format had changed and we were gonna see more of the guy who wins and sticks around. Only nope. Same 'ol, same 'ol. I know it makes sense to show us more of the guy who is leaving but it will give away the loser too. Maybe after a few shows we will get to see more of the guys and they wont have to focus so much on them only on the episode they are fighting, but I doubt it.

Also, the fight was good but the editing and slow mo shots along with the emotional music and the families rooting them on Really amped it up. I'm not saying they shouldnt show it to us this way - I like it and they only have so much time, just wanted to point out that if you take a 'regular' HBO fight and edit it the same way it would seem a lot better and more intense too.

Quote Originally Posted by karen14
    Also, the fight was good but the editing and slow mo shots along with the emotional music and the families rooting them on Really amped it up. I'm not saying they shouldnt show it to us this way - I like it and they only have so much time, just wanted to point out that if you take a 'regular' HBO fight and edit it the same way it would seem a lot better and more intense too.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I still liked it though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast