+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contestant on NBC's The Contender Commits Suicide

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    ...he should be offering future contestants a guarantee that he will not let this happen again.

What? How is he supposed to guarantee that no one commits suicide? That is absurd. I feel for this family and their loss, and I agree that there should be some counseling available for eliminated contestants. In fact, we don't know for sure that there wasn't. But sometimes, no amount of counseling can keep someone who is suicidal from killing themselves. I think it is unfair to blame Burnett in any way for this loss. If the guy had gone on a job interview and then killed himself after not getting the job, is that the employer's fault?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I think it is unfair to blame Burnett in any way for this loss. If the guy had gone on a job interview and then killed himself after not getting the job, is that the employer's fault?
    A reality tv stint, where the producers try everything they can to break down the contestant to improve ratings, is nothing like a standard job interview. I'm not blaming Burnett either, but as I said before, I think he's a greedy ass who really couldn't care less that one of his chattel have fallen.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    What a shame My condolences go out to his family, girlfriend, and especially his 2 year old daughter. Like borderevil said, there is always help if a person is feeling this way. Now, because of his lack of judgement, his precious little girl who did not ask to be brought into this world will grow up not knowing or having her father So sad
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Robin was saying during her news section of Howard Stern today that this man and his girlfriend were having problems and he did kill himself on Valentine's Day (& I think outside of her residence). They also said that he apparently missed being in boxing matches and he had to agree to not be in any more bouts until May or something, after the show aired..
    Even so, surely he got to fight at least once during taping and Don't most boxers only have big fights a couple of times a year?? Couldnt he spar??

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Wow, I remember seeing a very early promo of this show and was disturbed by one the contestants/couples but couldn't put my finger on it at the time, now that it's been quite a few months I'd never recognize them.

Wow, very sad, you have to be seriously messed up to leave your child behind like that. There is help available. I feel for his family. Shame on anything done now to exploit this tragedy for the sake of the show. If they just leave it as is, then fine, I guess.
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    So I guess this coward isn't the guy who won The Contender. . . .

I simply have no respect for him; he had a 2 year old daughter to whom he was responsible and he didn't care about her enough to stick around for her.

I have no respect at all for this guy.

It's an easy way out, isn't it....Calling suicide victims 'cowards'...very easy. It allows us to wash our hands of these "chickens" so we don't have to understand what would cause them to end their life.

I will have you know, contrary to opinion, suicide is anything but cowardly. It might not be politically correct to say this, but committing suicide takes a lot of bravery, courage. It's not for the weak of heart. To be able to end your life...could you do it? I could't. I don't like razors, or blood, and I certainly am afraid of heights so I would never jump of a bridge or tall building. I'm scared of lightning, so I would never electricute myself. And guns...forget that, what if I miss and I end up alive but paralyzed or in a vegetative state.

People who end their life are not cowards...they have strength inside of them that is enormous. Problem is, they have such deep depression that they do not realize how strong they truly are. If they did, they would be able to understand their mental illness and get help for it.

People don't commit suicide because they're bored or looking for a way out. They do so because they have a chemical imbalance in their brains.

It is a tragic situation when a man ends his life, despite having a wife and a child and probably friends and family who love him very much, but he never realized that. He probably felt like he was all alone. Something inside of him felt unbelieavable pain. Many of you couldn't fathom the pain those who committ suicide feel.
    Last edited by Miss Filangi; 02-19-2005 at 11:16 PM.

I wouldn't think Burnett is going to exploit the suicide at all. In fact, suicide is the world's biggest Taboo. We never talk about it or acknowledge it until we hear about someone who has done it, and than we give a short little statement of 'condolence' and move with our lives.

I think by airing this man's struggle and his life on the show, Suicide will not be shoved under the kitchen table and it will be discussed more. Maybe just one person will see that episode and realize they need counseling or help.

If more people talked about this issue, less people will die from it.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Not sure I can add anything about the suicide...its tragic for the family....I just lost some respect for MB for not reshooting and editing out his parts.....and shame on any one who is watching just to see the dead guy.....but his family deserve better....and I think not winning the show...its obvious he didnt win...added alot to the pressure he was already facing in his life...to the point that he kills himself....for all the psychological testing contestants are supposed to face ....something slipped through the casting cracks on this one...

The worst part of all this, which puts MB in the culpability zone, is the fact Turpin wasn't allowed to fight between the time he was on the show and when the show is due to air. So here's this guy whose life revolves around boxing, and for some narcissistic and greedy reason, the producers wouldn't let him box for something like 9 months. That's a lot of time to lose ranking, and that to a boxer that is one of the most important things.

So I still think Mark Burnett is an exploitative, greedy ass. Wonder if he ever went to the funeral? I know Stallone and Sugar Ray Leonard did.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

But aren't the fights featured in the show counted in their official win-loss record?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast