+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBC's The Contender

A very sad story.

NBC promotional materials say Turpin was orphaned at 18 when his mother died. He cared for a younger brother, sister, niece and nephew while holding down jobs doing road work and cleaning seafood.

He also left a 2-year-old daughter along with his girlfriend, who appears in the show.
    Sounds like he had a lot of responsibility for such a young man. Perhaps he just buckled under the pressure.

But Turpin's manager, Percy Custus, told the Philadelphia Daily News that among other troubles, Turpin was "frustrated" by a Contender contract that paid him $1,800 a week but prevented him from appearing in a boxing match until the series ends in May.
    That seems like overkill to me. Are contestants on other reality shows prevented from making a living after they get booted off the island? Although to be fair, if he had a problem with the contract, he probably shouldn't have signed it at all.

Sylvester Stallone was on Dennis Miller tonight, but didn't say anything about this situation, other than the fact that he will be attending the funeral.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I don't know about you - but I'd like to be paid $1800/week to do NOTHING. Small time fighters like this are lucky to make a couple grand for a fight every month or so. So - making $7800/month is big money. Plus - he could get paid to train and work out - so when he becomes well-known from the show (even if he looses) he can do better in the fights he will get.

And - like you mention - I'd bet there are thousands of struggling fighters that would have loved to take his place if he didn't want to sign the contract.

I'm just thrilled Mr. Rose and I will finally have a reality show we might both like.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

On the NBC schedule, there is an episode of The Contender, Thursday the 10th, at 10 pm. It could be the weekly regular airing time, don't you think so?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by canastasamba
    On the NBC schedule, there is an episode of The Contender, Thursday the 10th, at 10 pm. It could be the weekly regular airing time, don't you think so?
    I wish that would be it's regular slot after The Apprentice and i think that's when they should have premiered on a Thursday instead of Monday.

It's one of the better reality shows i have seen in a while, i hope people don't miss out on it.

I wasn't going to watch but I heard Sylvester Stallone on Howard Stern yesterday morning, he sounded so funny and made the show sound interesting, i had to see at least one episode.

FORT Newbie
    KC Chris.. Small time fighters?? Peter Manfredo Jr. and Ishe Smith are world ranked fighters and have been main events on ESPN and Showtime easily making 30,000-50,000 a fight. They are not small time fighters.

Cablejockey..I hope you liked the first episode and will keep watching..

Sure Newsman, I'll be watching next week.

When do episodes air first?

I can't figure out when I'm supposed to watch this thing. TiVO wants to record it 5 or 6 times a week, but that can't be right. What's the time slot I should be looking for?

FORT Newbie
    Thursday 3/10 at 10 pm NBC

Then each additional episode will air every Sunday at 8pm beginning 3/13

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12