+ Reply to Thread

Thread: George Foreman joins Leonard and Stallone on "The Contender"

George Foreman joins Leonard and Stallone on "The Contender"

Former world heavyweight boxing champion George Foreman has signed to appear in the NBC reality series "The Contender," which will be co-produced by Hollywood action star Sylvester Stallone, the Hollywood Reporter reported Monday.

Foreman, an Olympic gold medal winner and two-time world heavyweight champion, will appear on the show as an adviser and mentor to the various contenders fighting for an 1-million-dollar contract with a new boxing federation to be created.

Earlier this month, Stallone and his fellow executive producers, "Survivor svengali Mark Burnett and DreamWorks honcho Jeffrey Katzenberg, recruited five-time champion Sugar Ray Leonard to take part in the series.

"The Contender" will focus on an elimination-style competition among 16 fighters vying for the top boxing contract with the new boxing federation that the "Contender" producers intend to establish.

Judging of those fights will be handled by officials from various state boxing commissions. "Contender" producers are in negotiations with officials at the California and Nevada state boxing commissions about their participation in the show, the report said.

"George will appear before these young fighters and be an inspirational mentor and answer questions about their innermost fears and secrets and dreams of what it's like to aspire to be a champion," Stallone said.

Stallone stressed that a big part of each "Contender" episode will be examining the personal histories of the fighters and how they maintain the balance between their quest for success in the ring with family life and other responsibilities.

Foreman, who last stepped into the ring as a professional in 1999, has recently hinted in public statements that he would like to fight again in the near future. His involvement with "Contender " stirred up instant speculation that NBC might carry such a bout fight in conjunction with his appearances on the show.
    http://english.eastday.com/epublish/.../hwz187277.htm

On the Waterfront:

Marlon Brando (Terry Malloy): It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.

Rod Steiger (Charley): Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.

Marlon Brando (Terry): You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been someone Charley, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. I'm a bum. It was you, Charley.

I wonder if these boxing greats ever had an offer to throw a fight and how they handled it.

I think that the show might do well at least, for awhile. There was a show on MTV re: basketball competitions on the streets and they at least lasted the season. This show might fair better with the well known champions. (Where are the boxing smilies?)

+ Reply to Thread