Former world heavyweight boxing champion George Foreman has signed to appear in the NBC reality series "The Contender," which will be co-produced by Hollywood action star Sylvester Stallone, the Hollywood Reporter reported Monday.
Foreman, an Olympic gold medal winner and two-time world heavyweight champion, will appear on the show as an adviser and mentor to the various contenders fighting for an 1-million-dollar contract with a new boxing federation to be created.
Earlier this month, Stallone and his fellow executive producers, "Survivor svengali Mark Burnett and DreamWorks honcho Jeffrey Katzenberg, recruited five-time champion Sugar Ray Leonard to take part in the series.
"The Contender" will focus on an elimination-style competition among 16 fighters vying for the top boxing contract with the new boxing federation that the "Contender" producers intend to establish.
Judging of those fights will be handled by officials from various state boxing commissions. "Contender" producers are in negotiations with officials at the California and Nevada state boxing commissions about their participation in the show, the report said.
"George will appear before these young fighters and be an inspirational mentor and answer questions about their innermost fears and secrets and dreams of what it's like to aspire to be a champion," Stallone said.
Stallone stressed that a big part of each "Contender" episode will be examining the personal histories of the fighters and how they maintain the balance between their quest for success in the ring with family life and other responsibilities.
Foreman, who last stepped into the ring as a professional in 1999, has recently hinted in public statements that he would like to fight again in the near future. His involvement with "Contender " stirred up instant speculation that NBC might carry such a bout fight in conjunction with his appearances on the show.