+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7/1 Episode: "Ain't No Sallies During Ladies' Night"

7/1 Episode: "Ain't No Sallies During Ladies' Night"

Well we’ve made it to the final round of Celebrity Poker Showdown. Looks like there will be some serious play in this round as opposed to last year’s final table. I love seeing the females represented this year, and truth be told, I believe they are the more aggressive players so the men better watch out.

Let’s introduce the lucky contestants. Tonight we have Ed’s Michael Ian Black, Men in Black II’s Rosario Dawson, Gilmore Girls star Lauren Graham, ER star Maura Tierney, and West Wing costar Dule Hill . Both Phil and Dave are looking dapper in their tuxes, although Dave doesn’t really have a tie and it looks somewhat wrinkled, but maybe that’s the look he’s going for.

Shuffle Up and Deal

Before the start of the first hand, Michael Ian Black is delivered a gallon of chocolate milk for some reason. Maybe this is somehow an intimidation technique? Although personally I think it makes him look like a sally. Now if he were pounding whiskey shots or something, maybe I’d think he’s hardcore, but milk? Yea, not so much.

Rosario is first to act and folds. Michael likes his 5[img]d.gif[/img]6[img]d.gif[/img] and calls. Lauren is dealt Q[img]h.gif[/img]T[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $500. Maura folds and Dule calls with Q[img]d.gif[/img]8[img]d.gif[/img]. Michael calls to see The Flop. It comes down A[img]d.gif[/img]9[img]s.gif[/img]5[img]h.gif[/img] giving Michael a pair of 5s. Dule checks and Michael bets $800 on his low pair. Laura and Dule fold and Michael wins the pot. I was surprised to see Lauren wasn’t as aggressive as usual. Perhaps she is getting a feel for the table.

At the start of the next hand, Michael is dealt a much better hand with A[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]d.gif[/img] and raises to $600. Lauren and Maura fold. Dule has pocket 5s in the small blind and calls the raise. Rosario folds and we have two players. The Flop comes down 5[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]d.gif[/img]A[img]d.gif[/img] giving Dule trip 5s and Michael a pairs of As. Dule checks and Michael comes in with $1000. Dule check raises Michael and bets $2000. Michael cautiously calls. The Turn is a 5[img]d.gif[/img] now giving Dule four of a kind! After some banter Dule pushes all in and Michael realizes he’s been beat and folds. Dule wins the pot making him our chip leader.

Chip Count
    Dule Hill $13,600
    Rosario Dawson $10,000
    Maura Tierney $9,700
    Lauren Graham $9,400
    Michael Ian Black $7,300

Maura starts off with A[img]s.gif[/img]8[img]h.gif[/img] and raises to $600. Dule and Rosario fold. Michael has K[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]c.gif[/img] and calls. Lauren has a great hand with A[img]d.gif[/img]Q[img]c.gif[/img] but just calls. The Flop comes down 2[img]d.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img]3[img]c.gif[/img] giving Michael a pair of Ks. He comes in with $800, but Lauren reraises to $1600 with nothing. Maura gets out of the way and eventually Michael folds the better hand. I think Lauren has Michael figured out now.

Michael gets Maura to fold on the next hand and wins a small pot. Rosario wins the following hand preflop by raising enough to get everyone to fold, and it’s time to check the chip count again.

Chip Count
    Dule Hill $13,300
    Lauren Graham $10,300
    Maura Tierney $10,100
    Rosario Dawson $10,000
    Michael Ian Black $6,300

Before the next hand begins a bare-chested waiter comes out to serve drinks. I said bare-chested waiter, gentlemen, so don’t think you missed something. You all have to remember there are more women at the table tonight, so for once we don’t have to see Tammi or Nikki or whatever their names are in their gold lammee outfits.

The blinds have been raised to $200/400. Maura makes a $1200 bet with QT and amazingly gets everyone to fold, even Dule who has pocket 6s! Her aggressive play is working for her again.

The following hand Maura folds. Good thing because Dule has pocket 5s and raises to $1000. Rosario and Michael fold. Lauren is dealt K[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]c.gif[/img] and reraises to $1600, obviously trying to get Dule to fold. He decides he’s not folding his pocket pair this time and calls. The Flop comes down A[img]h.gif[/img]9[img]d.gif[/img]8[img]c.gif[/img] giving Lauren nothing. She still bets $2500 and is able to push Dule to fold giving her a very big pot.

Next hand Dule folds. Rosario has Q[img]s.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img] and raises to $1200. Michael and Lauren both fold and Maura calls with T[img]c.gif[/img]8[img]c.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down 6[img]h.gif[/img]A[img]h.gif[/img]2[img]d.gif[/img] giving nothing to either player. Maura tries to steal the pot by betting $1500, and after some thought Rosario calls. The Turn is A[img]d.gif[/img] not helping either player again. Maura bets $3000 this time and Rosario reluctantly folds. I don’t see how any of these players can battle against the aggressive play of Lauren and Maura, but maybe someone will come up with a plan.

On the next hand Rosario, Michael, and Lauren all fold leaving the two blinds. Maura has 7[img]h.gif[/img]8[img]h.gif[/img] and calls. Dule has Q[img]d.gif[/img]5[img]d.gif[/img] and checks. The Flop comes down A[img]h.gif[/img]9[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]c.gif[/img] giving Dule a pair of Qs and Maura a flush draw. Maura bets $500. Dule reraises her to $2000. Maura thinks about it and calls to chase her flush. The Turn is J[img]d.gif[/img] giving Maura a straight draw as well. Maura thinks about how much she wants to bet, but Dule tells her “I’m gonna raise you”. Eventually this flusters Maura and she checks. Dule bets $2000 and Maura folds her hand. Looks like Dule’s baiting worked for him.

Maura is dealt K[img]d.gif[/img]6[img]d.gif[/img] and comes in for $1600. Dule has pocket Ks and reraises to $3000. Rosario and Michael get out of the way. Lauren also has a great hand with A[img]d.gif[/img]J[img]h.gif[/img] and calls. Maura still feels great with her K6 and also calls. The Flop comes A[img]c.gif[/img]9[img]h.gif[/img]9[img]c.gif[/img] giving Lauren two pair with As and 9s and Dule two pair with Ks and 9s. Lauren bets $4000 forcing Maura to fold. Dule reraises her to $8000! Dule tries to pull the whole “I’ll raise you if you bet”, but that doesn’t fool Lauren and she pushes all in. Against his better judgment, Dule calls. The Turn is Q[img]c.gif[/img] giving Dule a possible flush. The River is a 4[img]d.gif[/img] and Lauren doubles up leaving Dule down to the felt.

Chip Count
    Lauren Graham $26,700
    Maura Tierney $8,200
    Rosario Dawson $7,600
    Michael Ian Black $5,700
    Dule Hill $1,800

Dule is going to have to double up soon in order to get back into this game. The next hand starts off with Rosario, Michael, and Lauren folding. Maura has K[img]c.gif[/img]6[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $1600. Dule has Q[img]s.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img] and pushes all in. It’s only $200 more for Maura to call, and she does. When she sees Dule’s hand, she says “I just wanted to get you back in the game”. The Flop comes 4[img]c.gif[/img]4[img]d.gif[/img]9[img]c.gif[/img] helping neither player. The Turn is 8[img]s.gif[/img] again not helping either player. The River is Q[img]h.gif[/img], though, and Dule wins with a pair of Qs and doubles up!

Dule doubles up again on the next hand when he has pocket 4s against Rosario’s AK. He’s able to catch a set on the turn and is right back in the game.

Lauren is able to grab the next pot with AK preflop mostly because Rosario made a poor decision by folding her pockets 8s. I think that would have been a good opportunity to try and double up. We’ll see if she’s still able to hang in there.

On the next hand Dule folds, and this time Rosario is all in with J[img]h.gif[/img]T[img]h.gif[/img]. Michael and Lauren both fold. It’s just $100 more for Maura to call with her pocket Qs. They both turn over their cards and Rosario knows she going to have to catch a miracle. The Flop comes down 5[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]d.gif[/img]T[img]c.gif[/img] giving Rosario a pair of Ts. The Turn is 5[img]d.gif[/img] and The River comes 3[img]d.gif[/img] and Rosario is the first player eliminated from the table. Maura apologizes to Rosario, but her charity, Scenarios USA, still receives $7500 for her efforts. So she makes her way back to the Loser’s Lounge to watch how the others play.

Chip Count
    Lauren Graham $26,400
    Dule Hill $12,000
    Maura Tierney $8,300
    Michael Ian Black $3,300

The blinds are up to $400/800 now. Michael folds waiting for the right cards to double up. Lauren has a great hand with A[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]d.gif[/img] and raises to $1800. Maura folds and Dule calls with pocket 8s saying, “I want my money back!” Hopefully he’ll realize what cards beat him this time in order to acquire this money. The Flop comes down 2[img]d.gif[/img]J[img]d.gif[/img]4[img]s.gif[/img] giving Lauren nothing and Dule has the best hand. Dule comes in with $3000 and against her better judgment Lauren calls. The Turn is K[img]h.gif[/img] giving Lauren a straight draw now. Dule comes in a bit smaller with $1500 and Lauren still calls. The River comes Q[img]h.gif[/img] giving Lauren her pair of Qs. Dule checks this time as does Lauren and both flip over their cards. Dule realizes he let her catch her pair, and Lauren wins a big pot again.

Nicole Sullivan, last year’s season one champion, comes out to serve them all drinks. She says, “Clearly there are better poker players than last season. Let’s just pump up the funny.” Ouch. I have to agree with Nicole. Although there are some great poker players, this season has lacked some humor even though there have been some hilarious contestants. I’m not sure how much we can turn back now, though, since this season is pretty much over.

On the next hand Lauren is first to act and folds. Maura has pocket 8s now and bets $3200. Dule has A[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]h.gif[/img] and raises all in. Michael folds and Maura calls the bet. Should be interesting to see if Dule’s AQ will work like Lauren’s did against the pocket 8s. The Flop comes down 2[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]c.gif[/img]6[img]d.gif[/img] giving Dule a pair of Qs. The Turn is an unbelievable 8[img]h.gif[/img] giving Maura a set now! Dule can still win if a Q, A, or any heart come on The River. Unfortunately The River is 5[img]s.gif[/img] and Dule is out. His charity, The Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation still receive $10,000 and at least Dule went out on a great hand. We’re down to three, or as Phil put it “two and a half” since Michael is pretty much down to the felt.

Chip Count
    Lauren Graham $33,100
    Maura Tierney $14,400
    Michael Ian Black $2,500

Maura starts out with A[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $3200. Michael has 5[img]c.gif[/img]6[img]d.gif[/img] and pushes all in. Interesting move, I’m not sure what his intentions are but he does bring out the infamous David Copperfield picture letting Maura know that he has never lost an all in bet when Copperfield was on the table. He says he’ll let her retract her bet if she wants. Maura, of course, doesn’t and we have heads up action. Both turn their cards over, and Michael is going to have to catch a serious miracle in order to stay alive. The Flop comes down 2[img]s.gif[/img]2[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img] giving Maura a flush draw. The Turn is J[img]c.gif[/img] not helping either player and The River is 3[img]c.gif[/img] eliminating Michael from the table. Michael’s charity, Endeavor House, still receives $12,500 and Phil even compliments Michael on a great laydown earlier against Dule’s quad 5s. At least Michael made it farther this season than last.

We’ve finally made it to heads up action. Lauren has Maura outchipped $33,500 to $16,500 but anything can happen now. In the first hand Lauren is dealt pocket 5s and raises to $2000. Maura calls with Q[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]s.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down A[img]c.gif[/img]Q[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]d.gif[/img] givng Maura trip Qs. Maura bets $2000 and Lauren reraises her to $8000. Maura loves her opportunity and pushes all in. Either Lauren is getting tired or she believes everyone bluffs as much as she does because she calls. The Turn is 4[img]h.gif[/img] and The River comes 3[img]c.gif[/img] and Maura doubles up.

Maura gives some of the chips back in the next two hands by calling a bet on The Flop with nothing, and folding the next hand preflop when Lauren raises too high for her cards.

The next hand Lauren is dealt K[img]d.gif[/img]9[img]d.gif[/img] and raises to $2500. Maura calls with 7[img]d.gif[/img]J[img]h.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down Q[img]s.gif[/img]4[img]c.gif[/img]A[img]d.gif[/img] giving nothing to either player. Maura comes in huge with $3500 to try and steal the pot. Lauren doesn’t buy it, and calls! The Turn is J[img]s.gif[/img] giving Maura a pair of Js now and Lauren a straight draw. Maura comes in bigger now with $4500 and Lauren calls chasing her straight. The River is J[img]c.gif[/img] giving Maura trip Js now. She bets $8000 and Lauren realizes she’s been beat (of course she never hand anything, but whatever) and folds giving Maura a huge pot.

On the next hand both players have QT and place huge bets only to split the pot in the end. They both are very similar poker players, always playing aggressively, and now they are even getting similar cards. Lauren folds tries to steal the blinds on the next hand, but Maura reraises her and she folds. Let’s check to see where each player stands chipwise.

Chip Count
    Maura Tierney $38,400
    Lauren Graham $11,600

Maura has definitely battle her way back and now the blinds are up to $1000/2000. Lauren tries to steal the blinds again on the next hand, but Maura reraises her and she folds again.

Lauren is pretty much down to the felt and pushes all in with A[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img]. Maura calls with a very similar hand of A[img]d.gif[/img]6[img]c.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down J[img]s.gif[/img]8[img]c.gif[/img]3[img]s.gif[/img] giving nothing to either player. The Turn is 7[img]d.gif[/img] giving Lauren a pair of 7s and Maura is drawing dead. Lauren has doubled up and is back in this game.

Lauren is dealt 8[img]h.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img] and raises to $4000 trying to steal the pot. Maura calls, though, with J[img]d.gif[/img]2[img]d.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down 6[img]s.gif[/img]4[img]s.gif[/img]9[img]h.gif[/img] giving Lauren and open ended straight draw. Maura bets $4000 with nothing and Lauren calls. The Turn is K[img]s.gif[/img] and Maura bets $8000, again with nothing. Lauren calls the huge bet still trying to chase her straight. The River is Q[img]c.gif[/img] again helping neither player. Both players check now and turn over their cards. Maura wins the huge pot with J high.

The next hand Maura starts off with K[img]s.gif[/img]9[img]h.gif[/img] and raises to put Lauren all in. Lauren calls with Q[img]d.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down K[img]h.gif[/img]8[img]d.gif[/img]4[img]c.gif[/img] giving Maura a pair of Ks. The Turn is J[img]h.gif[/img] and Lauren can’t win now. The River is A[img]s.gif[/img] and Maura wins the Championship!

Lauren’s charity, The Revlon/UCLA Women’s Cancer Research, still receives a remarkable $20,000. And Maura’s charity, The Children’s AIDS Society, receives $100,000. The show ends quite quickly, but luckily we start a whole new season next week with some familiar faces along with some new meat. Unfortunately I will not be able to recap the first show, but the brilliant Wayner will keep you all company in my absence. Until then!

Comment or questions about this article please email greenie@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by greenie; 07-07-2004 at 07:42 AM.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    That was great! Thanks for a season of superb recapping Greenie!

Fade to black
    Great recap greenie, but I have just one question.

What's a sally?

Oh, I almost forgot. Nice av.

Fantastic recap Greenie!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Great job Greenie!

Btw, Dule Hill is on West Wing not ER.

Ahh thanks, Mariner. I made the change. All those NBC shows start blending into one for me.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Excellent job recapping, Greenie! Thanks for your consistent good work!!!

I am so happy Maura won, I really love her.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Greenie, that was a wonderful recap. I won't be able to come close to duplicating your efforts when I recap the premier of season 3 tonight. For one thing, I don't even know how you made the cool little suit symbols appear in your recap!

+ Reply to Thread