+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6/24 Episode "Big Bets, Bluffs, and Beatdowns"

6/24 Episode "Big Bets, Bluffs, and Beatdowns"

Well it’s our last round of poker before the big finale next week. Our contestants tonight vying for a spot are professional tennis player James Blake, Elf director Jon Favreau, comedian Andy Richter, and ER stars Tom Everett Scott and Maura Tierney. This is two seasons now that have showcased many stars from the show ER. Any guess what the parent company of Bravo is? Hmmm? Anyway, all will be playing for the ultimate pot of $250,000, $100,000 of which will go to the charity of their choice. No one’s wearing any funky outfits tonight, but Dave Foley does point out that Maura Tierney was his fake TV girlfriend once on News Radio which Maura looks absolutely thrilled about. And I also get a kick out of the very mild applause that occurs when Dave says “And you all know Andy Richter”. Poor Andy. He’s so adorable though, and a funny man. Well let’s get this game underway.

Shuffle Up and Deal

Our first hand begins with everyone folding except James who raises his small blind to $600 and steals Maura’s blind. I sure hope the rest of the game isn’t this passive.

Next hand James is first to act with Q[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]c.gif[/img] and just calls. Maura, Tom, and Andy fold. And Jon checks in the small blind 10[img]c.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img].
    The Flop comes down 9[img]s.gif[/img]4[img]h.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img] giving Jon a pair of 7s. Jon comes in with $500, but James raises with nothing to $1000 and after some thought Jon calls. The Turn is a 4[img]c.gif[/img] pairing the board. Jon checks and James bets $600 with nothing. Jon thinks about it and eventually folds the better hand giving James the pot. Let’s take a moment to get to know our chip leader, James.

James is playing for the Shriner’s Hospital in Springfield, MA. He admits to being competitive with everything. His nickname was “Squirt Gun” when he was young since his brother, Tom, was “Tommy Gun”. He hopes that none of these celebrities will use it to their advantage. He’s only been playing poker for about two weeks, and hopes that the others have been playing for the same amount of time otherwise he’s in big trouble.

Chip Count
    James Blake $11,300
    Maura Tierney $10,200
    Tom Everett Scott $10,000
    Andy Richter $9,700
    Jon Favreau $8,800

On the next hand, Andy is able to take the pot preflop with his pocket two’s. I’m sure he didn’t want anyone to call with that hand. Let’s find out whom Andy is playing for.

Andy is playing for the Naitonal Mental Health Association. He says he played practice games with Phil and the others before the game. Phil told him his biggest mistake was wearing his light pink blazer tonight since it’s an obvious sign of weakness. Luckily for Andy, he says not much of his self worth is tied up in how well he plays cards tonight.

On the next hand Tom starts off with A[img]c.gif[/img]10[img]s.gif[/img] and raises it to $1000. Andy, Jon, and James all fold. Maura has A[img]h.gif[/img]4[img]h.gif[/img] and calls. The Flop comes down 6[img]c.gif[/img]8[img]d.gif[/img]9[img]h.gif[/img] giving Tom an inside straight draw. Maura looks at Tom but then checks as if she doesn’t know what else to do. Tom sees this and comes in with $1000 forcing Maura to fold and Tom wins the pot.

Tom is playing for Caring for Children and Families with AIDS. Tom grew up quite competitive and mentions his dad taught him how to play poker. Although he does play a regular game, none of them are with celebrities so since he’s a self proclaimed “star f**ker” he’s not so sure he won’t be able to not let it get to him. As far as sizing up his opponents, he’s not worried about Andy and Jon but wonders if tennis player, James Blake, could serve up an Ace? *rolls eyes* And since Maura’s a woman, he’s going to treat her like all other women: men with breast. Well we’ll see if all this strategy works for Tom.

On the next hand he’s first to fold, as does Andy. Jon is dealt 10[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]d.gif[/img] and raises big enough to get James and Maura to fold and giving him the pot.

The following hand Andy has “big slick” with A[img]s.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img] and raises it to $1000. Both Jon and James fold. Maura has the same as Andy, A[img]d.gif[/img]K[img]s.gif[/img], and reraises to $2000. Tom folds and Andy calls to see The Flop. The Flop comes down A[img]h.gif[/img]10[img]d.gif[/img]J[img]c.gif[/img] giving both top pair and a straight draw. Maura moves in with $2000 and Andy reraises to $4000. Maura calls. Should be interesting to see who can push the other one out even though they both have the same hand. The Turn is Q[img]s.gif[/img] giving both their straight! I doubt either will fold now. Maura asks Andy “What do you have?” but Andy comes back with “It’ll cost ya”. So with that Maura moves all in and Andy quickly calls. They both end up splitting the pot since there wasn’t a card that could come that would make a difference. Andy says, “That was so much to go through just to get your money back”. Let’s see what it has done to the chip count.

Chip Count
    James Blake $12,000
    Tom Everett Scott $10,700
    Andy Richter $9,900
    Maura Tierney $9,400
    Jon Favreau $8000

The next hand both Maura and Tom fold. Andy has a good hand withQ[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $1800. Jon also has a good hand with K[img]d.gif[/img]Q[img]c.gif[/img] and calls. James gets out of the way and The Flop comes down 4[img]h.gif[/img]8[img]d.gif[/img]8[img]h.gif[/img] giving no one anything. Jon bets $3000 with his K high and forces Andy to fold.

Jon is also playing for Caring for Children and Families with AIDS, so they’ll definitely be getting some cash either way. He’s been playing poker with friends, but is recently only interested in Hold ‘Em. He finds it very similar to chess and loves the strategy behind it. He doesn’t have a poker nickname but feels if you do at the level he’s playing at you only end up looking like an ass.

On the next hand Jon is first to act with A[img]s.gif[/img]10[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $1200. James has A[img]d.gif[/img]6[img]h.gif[/img] and calls. Maura has a huge hand with pocket Ks and raises to $3200. Both Tom and Andy fold and Jon calls. James realizes he’s probably beat and folds. The Flop comes down Q[img]c.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img]10[img]d.gif[/img] giving Maura the lead still with her pocket Ks. Jon tries to make a move for the pot, though, and pushes all in. Maura quickly calls, and Jon realizes he’s probably been beat. Jon is going to need an A to come in order to win. The Turn comes 6[img]s.gif[/img] and The River comes 3[img]h.gif[/img] and Maura wins the huge pot.

Maura is playing for the Children’s AIDS Society. Maura’s family played a lot of card games when she was growing up. Her only strategy tonight is to stay alive. She admits that as the game goes on the more nervous she gets and starts second-guessing herself. We’ll see if she’ll be able to hold her own the more this game gets underway.

At the start of the next hand, James is first to act with pocket Qs and raises to $2400. Maura folds and Tom calls with A[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]s.gif[/img]. Andy folds. Since Jon is the short stack and is in the big blind, he moves all in with K[img]c.gif[/img]10[img]d.gif[/img]. I think this is a good move to make in order for Jon to become a bigger part of this game. The Flop comes down J[img]d.gif[/img]10[img]s.gif[/img]6[img]h.gif[/img] giving Jon a pair of tens but that doesn’t beat James’s Qs. James bets $1500 in the side pot. Tom comments that it’s not a very big bet but still folds to let James win the side pot. Now Jon needs a K or another 10 in order to win. Luckily The Turn comes K[img]h.gif[/img] giving Tom his two pair, but James can still win with a straight if a 9 or A comes on the river. Again luckily for Jon, The River is 3[img]h.gif[/img] and Jon doubles up.

In the next hand Tom starts off with pocket 4s and just calls. Andy and Jon both fold. James calls in the small blind with Q[img]s.gif[/img]8[img]s.gif[/img]. Maura has K[img]c.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img] and checks. The Flop comes K[img]s.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img]4[img]s.gif[/img] giving Maura top pair, Tom a set of 4s, and James flopped a flush! It’s going to heat up now. James comes in with $1600 although I think I would almost slow play it to get more chips. Maura isn’t scared off by the spades, though, and reraises to $3200. Tom brilliantly folds his set of 4s, which I personally would think is hard to do. James now moves all in and Maura realizes she is beat and folds giving James a huge pot.

On the next hand Andy tries to steal the blinds with just K4, but Jon has AJ and moves all in preflop forcing Andy to fold and donating some of his chips to Jon’s stack. Let’s check out the chip count after these big hands.

Chip Count
    Maura Tierney $16,200
    James Blake $12,400
    Jon Favreau $8,700
    Tom Everett Scott $7,700
    Andy Richter $5,000

On the next hand our chip leader, Maura, folds. Tom is dealt A[img]s.gif[/img]3[img]s.gif[/img] and calls. Andy folds and Jon calls with 3[img]c.gif[/img]4[img]c.gif[/img]. James has K[img]h.gif[/img]Q[img]d.gif[/img] and doesn’t want anyone to see the flop for cheap so raises it to $1600. Tom calls and surprisingly Jon also calls. The Flop comes down 2[img]h.gif[/img]3[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]d.gif[/img] giving both Jon and Tom a pair of 3s. Jon checks and James bets $1000 on his overcards. Tom calls and Jon folds his low pair. The Turn is 8[img]s.gif[/img] helping neither playing, but James still comes in big with $2500 and forces Tom to fold the better hand.

On the next hand Jon has A[img]c.gif[/img]8[img]d.gif[/img] and raises it to $1800. James, Maura, and Tom fold. I guess Andy doesn’t want to be pushed around because he calls with 8[img]s.gif[/img]6[img]s.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down 2[img]d.gif[/img]Q[img]s.gif[/img]7[img]d.gif[/img] giving nothing to either player and both check. The Turn comes A[img]d.gif[/img] and Andy bluffs by going all in, but he picked the wrong time since Jon made a pair of As. Andy is drawing dead once Jon calls and Andy is out of the game.

Once Andy makes his way to the Loser’s Lounge, he asks Phil “Did I do a terrible job with the bluff?” and Phil responds, “No you didn’t do a terrible job with the bluff. It was a bluff” but Dave points out, “He (Jon) did a terrible job of believing you”. Andy is comforted by the fact that his charity still gets $5000 though.

Tom wins the next pot by bluffing and going all in on the flop forcing Maura to fold. Jon does the same to James by bluffing a flush. After all this Dave comes out with tequila shots for everyone saying Robert, the tournament director, says everyone needs to do a shot every time the blinds go up. Sadly no one does them. At least not yet.

On the next hand Tom folds. Jon is obviously rushing off of the big hands because he raises big with 24 and eventually gets taken down on the flop by James and quickly loses his chip lead.

Chip Count
    James Blake $16,600
    Jon Favreau $13,600
    Maura Tierney $11,200
    Tom Everett Scott $8,600

On the next hand Maura starts out with 8[img]c.gif[/img]6[img]c.gif[/img] and calls. Tom folds and Jon raises it to $2600 with Q[img]c.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img]. Jon folds and Maura takes her chances by calling. The Flop comes down A[img]h.gif[/img]7[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]h.gif[/img] giving Jon a pair of Js. Jon thinks about it for a while, but doesn’t like those hearts and just checks. Maura comes in with a stone cold bluff of $3000 and Jon eventually folds but shows his hand to get a reaction out of Maura. Amazingly she doesn’t react, and things seem to be turning around on this table.

Jon is able to get back some of his chips on the next hand by moving all in on the flop before Maura is able to. I think he learned his lesson.

On the next hand James is dealt A[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img] and raises big to $2500. Maura also have A[img]d.gif[/img]J[img]c.gif[/img] and reraises to $5000. Tom folds and Jon folds his pocket 3s after seeing the raise and reraise. James calls Maura’s reraise. The Flop comes down 2[img]h.gif[/img]8[img]h.gif[/img]4[img]c.gif[/img] and this is going to come down to, as Phil likes to say, “who has the most balls”. I’d be worried if it were Maura. James bets big with $3000 but Maura pushes all in. Before she allows James to call she says, “wait a minute” and does her shot getting the crowd behind her. Now that would tell me she doesn’t have anything, but after some thought James folds and Maura wins a huge pot.

Next Jon is dealt pocket 10s and raises to $2400. James is dealt big slick with A[img]h.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img] and pushes all in. Maura and Tom get out of the way and Jon calls. They both turn over their cards and it’s pretty much a coin toss. The Flop comes down 5[img]h.gif[/img]6[img]c.gif[/img]K[img]h.gif[/img] giving James his pair of Ks. The Turn is J[img]c.gif[/img] and Jon is going to have to get a 10 on the river in order to win this, but unfortunately a 2[img]s.gif[/img] and James wins a big pot.

On the next hand Tom tries to steal the blinds by betting $4000 with 56 suited, but unfortunately James pushes him out on The Flop and Tom is even shorter stacked than before.

Next hand Tom folds and Jon only calls with A[img]s.gif[/img]K[img]h.gif[/img] even though he’s short stacked. James folds and Maura checks with Q[img]c.gif[/img]7[img]s.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down 9[img]h.gif[/img]5[img]h.gif[/img]6[img]c.gif[/img] giving Maura a straight draw. Maura checks, though, and Jon now pushes all in. Maura calls because it’s only a small portion of her chips. Luckily for Jon The Turn is A[img]h.gif[/img] giving him a pair of As, and he avoids the straight when The River comes Q[img]d.gif[/img].

Chip Count
    James Blake $19,500
    Maura Tierney $17,600
    Jon Favreau $8,700
    Tom Everett Scott $4,200

Tom is going to have to double up soon, and luckily he does on a miracle hand when he sucks out a Q high straight against Jon. On the following hand Tom is dealt Q[img]c.gif[/img]5[img]c.gif[/img] and raises to $4000. Now this didn’t work for him last time, so I’m really not sure why he’s doing this again. I actually don’t get half of the bluffing that goes on in this game, but I’m not in it, so let’s see how it works out for him. It gets both Jon and James to fold, but Maura calls with K[img]c.gif[/img]10[img]h.gif[/img]. The Flop comes down 9[img]c.gif[/img]5[img]d.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img] giving Maura a pair of Ks and Tom a pair of 5s. Maura bets $3000 and unwisely Tom pushes all in with the low pair. It’s only $1400 more for Maura to call which of course she does. The Turn is 3[img]d.gif[/img] and The River is 8[img]h.gif[/img] and Tom is out of the game. He makes his way back to the Loser’s Lounge and says he would have preferred to win and not just get $5000 for his. He claims Maura is unbeatable out there. We’ll see if his statement holds true.

Jon is able to double up by getting a flush with his AJ on the next hand. The following hand is “How Would You Play It?” and honestly it’s a silly hand that both players play poorly, but let me just tell you Maura wins again.

On the next hand Maura folds and Jon bets $6000 (half of his stack) on J[img]s.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img]. James has a huge hand with pockets Ks and pushes all in. Jon says, “let’s gamble” and calls. Jon is going to have to catch a straight or flush in order to win. The Flop comes 4[img]d.gif[/img]A[img]c.gif[/img]4[img]h.gif[/img] not helping Jon and The Turn is 6[img]s.gif[/img] and Jon is drawing dead and out of the game.

When Jon makes his way back to the Loser’s Lounge he says, “I didn’t get good cards, but I did get lucky when I needed to”. Personally I thought he did get some big hands, but could have played them a little better. He knew Phil would make fun of him if he didn’t play the correct way, so he says “At least I went out like a champion. I could have won like a celebrity, but I’m a true winner by losing like a poker player”. I wonder how his charity feels about that?

Ok we’ve finally arrived at heads up action. James Blake has Maura outchipped 3 to 2. The first hand James is dealt A[img]d.gif[/img]7[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $4500. Maura has a bigger hand with A[img]s.gif[/img]Q[img]d.gif[/img] and reraises to $7000. James calls. The Flop comes down big with A[img]c.gif[/img]A[img]h.gif[/img]K[img]d.gif[/img] giving both trip As but Maura with the Q kicker. Maura immediately pushes all in and James calls. James needs a 7 in order to win this. The Turn is 10[img]s.gif[/img] and The River comes 5[img]d.gif[/img] and Maura makes out huge and is now the chip leader with $40,000.

The next hand Maura has another huge hand with A[img]d.gif[/img]J[img]s.gif[/img] and raises to $8000. James has pocket 8s and pushes all in. Maura calls. The Flop comes down 2[img]s.gif[/img]6[img]d.gif[/img]2[img]c.gif[/img] and James is ahead with two pair. The Turn comes 8[img]c.gif[/img] giving James a full house and Maura is drawing dead. The chips count is now Maura with $30,000 and James with $20,000.

Maura folds her blinds to James on the next three hands, playing pretty tight. She is dealt K[img]h.gif[/img]7[img]c.gif[/img] and raises to $4000. James calls with Q[img]c.gif[/img]6[img]s.gif[/img]. The Flop comes 6[img]h.gif[/img]7[img]d.gif[/img]4[img]c.gif[/img] giving James a pair of 6s but Maura a pair of 7s. Maura bets $4000 and James calls. The Turn is 2[img]c.gif[/img] and Maura is able to get James to fold by betting $4000 again.

The blinds have now gone up to $3000 and $6000. James has Q[img]d.gif[/img]10[img]c.gif[/img] and pushes all in. Maura calls with a slightly better hand of Q[img]h.gif[/img]J[img]h.gif[/img]. They both do their shots before The Flop comes down. The Flop is 6[img]s.gif[/img]5[img]s.gif[/img]K[img]s.gif[/img] helping neither player. The Turn comes 4[img]h.gif[/img] again helping no one and Phil is going nutty saying, “James now has a 5% chance of winning” and The River comes J[img]c.gif[/img] giving Maura her pair of Js and she wins the whole thing!

All come out to congratulate her as she is presented the silver chip into the final round. Everyone seems to be feeling those tequila shots, and I think that’s my cue to go do some myself as I bid all adieu until next time when the final round of Maura Tierney, Rosario Dawson, Dule Hill, Michael Ian Black, and Lauren Graham happens! Until then!

For comments or questions please email greenie@fansofrealitytv.com
    Who shot who in the what now?

Thanks for the recap, Greenie! You always succeed at the difficult job of capturing the humor and tone of the show on top of great and accurate play-by-play. Brava!

I was totally pleased Maura won. The women have been doing very well so far this season!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread