+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poker Basics - A Tutorial

Poker Basics - A Tutorial

Poker Basics - Overview

Poker is played with a standard 52 card deck. Each player is dealt a hand of 5 cards and the aim of the game is to have the highest ranking hand at the end of the game.

Each player in turn can choose to either

1) 'Check' - if no bets have been placed then a player can opt to make no wager and the turn is passed to the payer on his left.
    2) 'Call' - Make a wager equal to the current bet size.
    3) 'Raise' - Make a wager equal to the current bet size plus an additional wager.
    4) 'Fold' - Throw in your hand and forfeit the game.

The 52 card deck is split into 4 different suits. Neither suit is more or less powerful than another.

The suits are: Clubs - Diamonds - Hearts - Spades

Each suit contains 13 cards. Numbered cards rank from lowest (2) to highest (10) in value. Ranked above the 10 are the Jack, Queen and King. The Ace is ranked as the highest card but can also be ranked as a 1 if required.

The Royal Flush is the highest value hand possible and cannot be beaten.

It contains all 5 'royal cards' (10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace) and all cards must be the same suit.

A Straight Flush is a hand with cards all of the same suite and running consecutively.

The Ace can be used as a low card in order to achieve a straight flush e.g.. Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5 all of the same suit.

The next highest hand is Four of a Kind, often called 'quads'. It contains 4 cards of the same rank, along with an unrelated fifth card.

If 2 players holds Four of a Kind then the player with the highest ranked quad will win.

A Full House (or Full Boat) contains 3 cards of the same rank along with 2 other cards of the same rank.

In the event that 2 players hold a Full House the player with the highest ranked Three of a Kind will win.

A Flush is a hand where all 5 cards are the same suit but the ranks are not consecutive.

If 2 players hold a Flush then the player with the highest ranked card will win. If both players highest ranked card are equal then the second highest card from each hand is used to determine the winner. This process continues with the 3rd, 4th and 5th card if necessary.

A Straight is a hand that contains 5 consecutively ranked cards but not all of the same suit.

The Ace can be used as a low card in order to achieve a straight e.g.. Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5 or as a high card e.g.. 10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace.

Three of a Kind (sometimes called 'trips') contains 3 cards of the same rank along with 2 other unrelated cards.

Two Pair is a hand that contains 2 cards of the same rank and another 2 cards of the same rank (but different to the first) along with a fifth unrelated card.

A Pair is a hand that has 2 cards of the same rank along with 3 other unrelated cards.

When a better hand cannot be created with your 5 cards then what remains is the lowest type of hand possible - the High Card hand.

This hand contains 5 unrelated cards and If 2 players hold a High Card hand then the player with the highest ranked card will win. If both players highest ranked card are equal then the second highest card from each hand is used to determine the winner. This process continues with the 3rd, 4th and 5th card if necessary.

Oooo thanks, John. I always had to look at the order of the hands when I first started playing. You even threw in some of the lingo too, which always confused me. Thanks.
    Who shot who in the what now?

LG.
    you know a flush beats a full house in the bathroom . . .
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Like the glossary, this will be very helpful to me as I have no idea how to play poker.

Thanks John
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread