+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus: Party(ing) in the USA...

FORT Fogey

Re: Miley Cyrus: Party(ing) in the USA...

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall Fred Savage (The Wonder Years) or Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Houser M.D.) getting into any huge trouble transitioning from teen star to adult actor.

Ron Howard also credited his parents for making sure both he and his brother Clint had normal childhoods even if they were child actors. I realize that was another time, but there are plenty of examples going back as far as the 1920s and 1930s of childhood stars falling apart as they tried to go onto adult work. It's not like acting out is new.

Is it probably hard to avoid those traps? Yes, I'm sure it is. But it's possible.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4131084;
    Milano and Frye both did the young 20-something no longer easily employable nudie/exploitation film career track though. And really neither was famous enough to BE in that position Cyrus, Spears, Hilton, etc. have been in, where they're on top of the world, with the arrogance to match. Portman and Paquin... maybe. Maybe they were famous enough, but both were also serious actors from way back, so their mindset was always a bit elevated.

The Olsens did okay, I guess. The Anorexic one suffered from a disease, not a lifestyle choice, so that's different. And I'd argue that Drew Barrymore almost fits that too. Sure, Miley, Paris, Britney, etc. are all drug takers and drunks, but Drew was a bonifide addict, as compared to those others--who are more nitwits and egotists, who just happen to be substance abusers on top of that. Whereas underneath it, Drew was a nice girl, I think (although admittedly she has the commonality with most of these other girls of having a nightmarish selfish pig of a parent).
    Drew Barrymore also came from a family notorious for their addictions (John Barrymore was a serious alcoholic, for instance) as well lauded for their talents. She's to be very much commended for pulling herself out of the mess she could have made of her life and becoming a respected actress. It's likely also extremely helpful to her that she's been utterly honest with herself and everyone else about her addictions and her struggle to overcome them. She never sounds as if she's in denial about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4126057;
    Personally, I don't find anything shocking or newsworthy about an 18-year-old taking a hit off a bong. Or, for that matter, getting their party on. It's a stage that many will pass through, lord knows I did.
    I agree. I'm just glad no one followed me around with a camera when I was going through my younger years. People often do stupid stuff at that age. Unfortunately now there's a Girls Gone Wild cameraman, a Facebook "friend", or the paparazzi to show it to the world. Its a lesson for kids growing up right now that anything they do can be posted to the internet for all to see.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4131273;
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall Fred Savage (The Wonder Years) or Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Houser M.D.) getting into any huge trouble transitioning from teen star to adult actor.

Ron Howard also credited his parents for making sure both he and his brother Clint had normal childhoods even if they were child actors. I realize that was another time, but there are plenty of examples going back as far as the 1920s and 1930s of childhood stars falling apart as they tried to go onto adult work. It's not like acting out is new.

Is it probably hard to avoid those traps? Yes, I'm sure it is. But it's possible.
    Yeah, but there are levels to fame in Young Hollywood, I'd argue, and also a different complexion to how misbehavior materializes between them. A Fred Savage or Neil Patrick Harris was never in a position to really think they were on top of the world, I'd argue, because while most people knew them, it just wasn't at the same level of someone like Miley Cyrus, who (at least until recently) was the FAVORITE person of every girl in a certain age range, or Justin Beiber right now, or if you want a vintage example, David Cassidy. Its one thing to be young and SOMEWHAT famous, and its quite another to be faced with virtually unlimited money, slavish fan devotion, paparazzi at every step, people giving you ANYTHING you want, people wanting everything you have, and legions of people willing to either bash you or on the other side, make an unending stream of excuses for you.

In the last few years, the list of kids who "qualify" for that level of treatment really isn't THAT long. Maybe Beiber, Cyrus, the Olsens, the Jonases, Taylor Swift, and if you want to push the definition of "kids" a bit into the emotionally immature 20-somethings, then the Paris Hiltons, Lindsey Lohans, Britney Spearses, etc. The various other Disney kids, Nikelodeon kids, and even most of the young singers just aren't THAT over-the-top famous that they could get heads swelled enough to think they could do anything they want.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4131391;
    Yeah, but there are levels to fame in Young Hollywood, I'd argue, and also a different complexion to how misbehavior materializes between them. A Fred Savage or Neil Patrick Harris was never in a position to really think they were on top of the world, I'd argue, because while most people knew them, it just wasn't at the same level of someone like Miley Cyrus, who (at least until recently) was the FAVORITE person of every girl in a certain age range, or Justin Beiber right now, or if you want a vintage example, David Cassidy. Its one thing to be young and SOMEWHAT famous, and its quite another to be faced with virtually unlimited money, slavish fan devotion, paparazzi at every step, people giving you ANYTHING you want, people wanting everything you have, and legions of people willing to either bash you or on the other side, make an unending stream of excuses for you.

In the last few years, the list of kids who "qualify" for that level of treatment really isn't THAT long. Maybe Beiber, Cyrus, the Olsens, the Jonases, Taylor Swift, and if you want to push the definition of "kids" a bit into the emotionally immature 20-somethings, then the Paris Hiltons, Lindsey Lohans, Britney Spearses, etc. The various other Disney kids, Nikelodeon kids, and even most of the young singers just aren't THAT over-the-top famous that they could get heads swelled enough to think they could do anything they want.
    I'd agree that the level of fame has something to do with, but I think that the adults who surround them, and how grounded they are, has a lot to do with it too. That's why I brought up Ron Howard's parents and how he credited them with making sure he didn't end up taking his fame too seriously. The adults on The Andy Griffith Show did the same thing. For instance, the show worked his shooting schedule around his Little League schedule. I remember that, because years later, when they were filming a Mayberry reunion tv movie, Andy Griffith jokingly complained that they were still shooting around Ron Howard's Little League schedule, because he was now coaching his kid's team.

In Alison Arngrim's book, she writes about how, while her own home situation was messy to say the least, as were the homes of a lot of the Little House on the Prairie kids, Michael Landon insisted that the kids on the show be treated with respect as fellow actors and that, in return, the kids behaved like fellow actors and were on time, knew their lines, respected the adult members of the crew and cast etc. She doesn't paint Michael as a perfect person, but she says she and the other child regulars on the show like to joke that they're the cast of Little House: no arrests, no convictions. She credits Landon's insistence on a sense of order on set that many of them didn't have in their homes and his refusal to behave as if anyone, including him, was entitled to special treatment not extended to other members of the cast. Arngrim's also honest that she went through a stage when she acted out after the show, but she speculates that without the safe space of the show to fall back on, she wasn't able to suppress all the trauma she'd suffered as a victim of sexual abuse anymore.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying I think it's a two fold situation: the level of fame is a big factor but so is how the adults around the famous kids teach them to deal with their fame.

Does this girl's idiocy even HAVE an off switch?

Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, etc. for all their faults, usually know when to lie low after doing something scandalous. But Miley? Smokes a bong, then soon after, has her assistant lick her boob in a photo: New Racy Miley Cyrus Photos Leaked

To be fair, she's clothed, so this is actually work safe--its just foolish in light of her current public profile. It could be argued this is just a case of bad timing, but here's a blog post by someone who believes the photo was "leaked" intentionally, and I think I agree.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4135034;

Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, etc. for all their faults, usually know when to lie low after doing something scandalous. But Miley? Smokes a bong, then soon after, has her assistant lick her boob in a photo: New Racy Miley Cyrus Photos Leaked

To be fair, she's clothed, so this is actually work safe--its just foolish in light of her current public profile. It could be argued this is just a case of bad timing, but here's a blog post by someone who believes the photo was "leaked" intentionally, and I think I agree.
    That is an interesting blog, and I agree with her that the people who might overlook the bong incident and the racy pictures hitting the internet are a "fickle" bunch. There is always a new musical group just waiting to be discovered.

Miley seems to want to cast off her Hannah Montana image, but she better be careful what she wishes for. I don't think that she has the maturity to see the damage that she is creating - and apparently no one is there to give her any guidance.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan;4135099;
    That is an interesting blog, and I agree with her that the people who might overlook the bong incident and the racy pictures hitting the internet are a "fickle" bunch. There is always a new musical group just waiting to be discovered.

Miley seems to want to cast off her Hannah Montana image, but she better be careful what she wishes for. I don't think that she has the maturity to see the damage that she is creating - and apparently no one is there to give her any guidance.

Part of the problem may be that now that she's eighteen, the best anyone can do is offer advice. She's not obliged to listen to anyone, unless she is arrested for something and is forced to listen to the police, a judge etc. She's very wealthy, particularly for an 18 year old, and she's famous, which unfortunately makes it easy for her to ignore those trying to tell her she needs to behave differently. In addition, up until now, her parents seem to have been making excuses for her behavior or defending her decisions (the first photo shoot that raised eyebrows, the infamous pole dance etc.), so if they try to object now, she may choose not to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4135034;

I think everything has to do with the parents of child stars. If they even allow their child to become a star (which I'm against), they can put the brakes on how much exposure their child has. I think the problem happens because the parents get caught up on the celebrity bus and it's all downhill from there. How can anyone expect anything different from their children who are given everything, treated like royalty, etc etc. Of course, they're going to act out. It'd be a miracle if they didn't. I think it's amusing (in a very sad way)how so many of these parents become "celebs" themselves, like the Lohans, Cyruses, Spears, etc.
    Miley is thumbing her nose at her parents and all the adults who have been in charge of her life so far, for taking away her childhood and any chance at a normal life. I'd choose a normal life anyday to the perks of celebrity-hood but I'm odd that way.

We sponsor a family at Christmas time and this year, one of the 3 girls in the family wanted anything Hannah Montana. We went shopping at Wal Mart on Dec 15th a few days after the bong leak, and there wasn't one item for Hannah Montana. We asked a sales clerk where we could find those items, and she said no where in any Wal Mart stores, everything was pulled. We went to a smaller department store and was lucky enough to find a few items.

However, on our drive to the smaller department store we were discussing all the disappointed young girls that won't get any Hannah Montana because of Miley's actions. Pretty sad, which IMO will only get worse. She's going down the wrong path, and really doesn't give a hoot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast