+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Punishing the Party Girls

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Punishing the Party Girls

Are we becoming puritanical in our attitudes toward people like Lindsay Lohan and Michaele Salahi? I found this article to be concise and thought provoking:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/ma...-medium-t.html

I am as guilty of this clamoring for retribution as anyone else. What do you think? Are we becoming internet vigilantes?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Re: Punishing the Party Girls

I think people are just tired of the rich and famous getting away with things the average Joe would not. If I got arrested on a drug charge, I'd have to serve my entire sentence. My record would prevent me from getting a decent job and I'd be an embarrassment to my family and friends. The fact that just because they have money and a recognizable face seems to mean they are better than I am. I think that's where all the animosity stems from.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of anger when we see these people get in and out of jail and people asking everyone to pity them, when an average joe in the slammer wouldn't get such treatment and the same people might be saying lock them up and throw away the key. Lindsay Lohan has been given multiple chances, in both rehab and jail, and it's become a joke that the media even cares, that the courts waste anyone's time, because it's obvious what'll happen. For me, it's an obvious disrespect that she snubs her nose at the system and her own actions, and both her fame hungry parents are right there defending her and saying what she got thrown at her is too harsh (not too mention when she showed up in court with a swear word painted on her nails that she "forgot about").

Ms Salahi is another story, a woman so hungry for the same fame she thinks she deserves that she, too, will do whatever she feels like and then feels as though she's the victim when everyone calls her out. It's been proven she's lied about everything in her past, and I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that her marriage was a sham for publicity. I just wish the media would lose interest in stories like this, report on real news and celebs who aren't trainwrecks and have talent, and that some cable show won't scoop people like this up for a reality show. They get rewarded for bad behavior, so I can see why they don't care. They get a slap on the wrist for being famous, then go about doing what they were doing and disrespecting everyone around them. Whatever they get, they deserve. These people want fame, they should deal with the downside of it.

It's becoming a fact of today's world that really bad behavior, of any kind, "seems" to get rewarded.
    People object to that, understandably.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I call it the Cartoon Culture. I'm not American but America is a cartoon culture. It makes so many people into cartoon characters. I wonder what it's going to take for this to change. When will it make people sick to their stomach and stop?
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

FORT Fanatic

I dont think that "really bad behavior gets rewarded" is accurate. I do think that parents allowing their children to become famous by exposing all of their teenage/young-adult mistakes to be shown for all the world to see is the real problem.
    The Lohan's allowed their daughter to grow up in the public eye too fast and too much lienency.
    The Spear's pushed their daughter to do all her growing up in videos and magazines.
    The Hilton's raised a daughter to become famous at any cost and that is what she did.
    The list goes on and on and just because I named females right now doesnt mean this hasnt also happened to males. It is just that right now young girls are the 'pop" culture hot button.
    The end result seems to be jail, rehab, or treatment for mental disorders. Drug abuse is most common. I hope all these parents wake up to what the did for a dollar. The parents all tell the same stories...its what my child wanted. Gimmie a break.

The "reward" you speak of seems to be temporary fame followed by a personal hell. Hilton being arrested for cocaine doesnt seem like a reward. Spears being hospitalized for psychiatric help doenst seem like a reward. Lohan being arrested and put in a clinic and drug rehab and jail doesnt seem like a reward.

If only we could put the parents behind bars or get them help before they let their children become public domain.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;4103160;
    I dont think that "really bad behavior gets rewarded" is accurate. I do think that parents allowing their children to become famous by exposing all of their teenage/young-adult mistakes to be shown for all the world to see is the real problem.
    The Lohan's allowed their daughter to grow up in the public eye too fast and too much lienency.
    The Spear's pushed their daughter to do all her growing up in videos and magazines.
    The Hilton's raised a daughter to become famous at any cost and that is what she did.
    The list goes on and on and just because I named females right now doesnt mean this hasnt also happened to males. It is just that right now young girls are the 'pop" culture hot button.
    The end result seems to be jail, rehab, or treatment for mental disorders. Drug abuse is most common. I hope all these parents wake up to what the did for a dollar. The parents all tell the same stories...its what my child wanted. Gimmie a break.

The "reward" you speak of seems to be temporary fame followed by a personal hell. Hilton being arrested for cocaine doesnt seem like a reward. Spears being hospitalized for psychiatric help doenst seem like a reward. Lohan being arrested and put in a clinic and drug rehab and jail doesnt seem like a reward.

If only we could put the parents behind bars or get them help before they let their children become public in.
    Your points are well taken. Lindsay Lohan's parents put her to work, more or less full time, from the time she was three years old. They completely forgot to give her a childhood. She's having one now.

The larger issue, to me, is the kind of vile language posters on the news/gossip sites use to describe her and their hopes for her failure. I can't even quote them, the language is so bad. But there is one such comment cited in the article below. It's like blood-lust, and it creeps me out in a way that's hard to describe. It's as if the anonymity of the Internet allows us to be horrible. Kind of like road rage on a global scale. A lynch mob.

I see a kind of virtual vigilante mentality and it's disturbing to me.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread