+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What celebrity death really affected you?

What celebrity death really affected you?

My husband is saddened today by the death of Ronnie James Dio.He was/still is a huge Black Sabbath fan.I was wondering which celebrity death affected you personally?
    When I was 20 Jim Henson died and I felt that some of my childhood went with him.Recently the loss of Patrick Swayze had quite an impact because as a teen in the 80s,he was such a part of it.
    So what about all of you?
    jafo likes this.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: What celebrity death really affected you?

John Lennon for sure. And Lady Di. Both were very sad and shocking to me.
    I was in High School when John Lennon died and I wore a black arm band for a week.

MRD

I find that a lot of them affect me as the older ones go, there goes more and more of my childhood.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Interesting your husband was upset by the Ronnie James Dio death. My husband seemed to be quite impacted by it as well. He called his brother to tell him.

Personally (along with jmb) Lady Di was impactful. I watched her get married as a teen and after that I grew up paying more attention to her than I do to most other celebritites. I didn't read or watch everything on her but a lot of it. Still to this day I do watch/read when it comes across my path. Because of my fascination with her I also follow her sons a little. I've always felt they lost something precious when they lost her. The world lost an icon, they lost their mother.

Another one that impacted me was JFK jr. I think there's always been a weird connection with that family because my parents' marriage was near his death and funeral. Part of the story of their wedding connects to all that. I wasn't born yet when JFK was assinated, but JFK's death did impact me.
    NEPASue likes this.

JFK and MLK jr. were the first, although I was young and probably feeding off the feelings of the grownups around me. Captain Kangaroo, Dan Fogelberg, Princess Di, Michael Jackson. Patrick Swayze.
    Count your blessings!

JFK was mine-I remember watching the tv and reading about the Warren Commission and reading everything I could about it. Lady Di was the next.

I was 8 when JFK was killed and I remember how overwhelming that was at the time. I remember all the Christmas music seemed sadder that year. Also Princess Diana because of her charisma, and that it seemed like we all knew her personally. And Dan Fogelberg because his music was such a big part of my college years.

FORT Fogey

I literally balled my eyes out when Princess Di was killed. I never admired someone as much as her, and it hit me hard. I also was sick in the stomach the whole time the tragedy of JFK jr. was unfolding. I just thought it was so senseless, and could not imagine how his wife's parents dealt with losing two daughters in one incident.

FORT Fanatic

My mom was telling me one day last spring about how she remembers the day Elvis died and I said Micheal Jackson was going to die the same way very soon. About six weeks later MJ was dead. I was so heartbroken and alittle freaked out.

The deaths I remember devastating me were Freddie Prinze, Natalie Wood, 13 year Samantha Smith, Princess Grace and Princess Di.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast